• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

From NY to Singapore, Custom Made English Bridle Leather Briefcase by JP Marcellino Bag Co.

Dsutti

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been a frequent visitors to SF for the past 5+ years but this will be my first Thread. Just a brief introduction about myself, I am a working professionals who enjoy good shoes and bags but by no mean consider myself a connoisseur in these matters. English is not my first language so I apologize in advance for any grammartical errors in my post.

I have been searching for a good bridle leather briefcase for quite sometimes when I came across Joe and some of his works on this forum. After a long deliberation process, I have decided to contact Joe and discuss about my requirements. Initially, I was skeptical about purchasing something "custom" remotely because I was not sure that I can elaborate my thoughts effectively. In addition, I was concerned about the import duty that will be imposed when I ship the product into Singapore.

Luckily, Joe has been very responsive and helpful in terms of walking me through each option available to me during the process. We went back and forth several times through calls and emails. I like the look of his Alfred Wallace 2207 but had specific request in terms of the color of the suede linings. To my delight, Joe offered to experiment with different color lining and we finally got down to the exact hue that I had in my mind. As I travel regularly for work, I also had another requirement that I would like the bag to be able to sit stop my carry-on luggage as I walk through the airport. We toyed with several ideas and we finally settled on one. I am excited to see what it will look like.

Long story short, I placed my order with Joe and he offered to create a progress report photos so that I can follow the process as the bag is being constructed even though I am half the world away. Below is the exact specifications of my order and I am super excited to see the progress.

-16 x 12 x 4 (2"x2")
- London tan English bridle
- Dark "Racing" Green Suede Lining
- solid brass English tube key lock with key holder and green suede lining
- Adjustable shoulder strap with suede lining back
- 3/4" leather band on the back, with green suede, removable goes in between and through the straps
- 4" x 5" iphone holder, passport holder, pen loops (2)
- Initals -- DAS -- thick type on raised stitched pedestal with gold paint on middle divider center top
- Back shoulder strap holder

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I should be getting to this bag some time late on Friday and will post some photos through the weekend.

i look forward to this briefcase. We have been working with getting the shade of green suede lining just right to go with the London Tan. I love the 2 colors and the way they compliment each other, sort of like the dark subtle nature of my Brown and the red.

In normal light the red is dark and blends well with the brown.

With direct light the red brightens and pops. So if you are opening the bag in daylight people will know right away this is not some ordinary briefcase.

The green suede will sort of be like this, where in normal office light you will see hints of the dark green and if light is shined directly or you are outside you will see the real beauty of not only the dark green but the soft suede itself.

Another aspect of this bag i like is the way we will handle the trolley handles. I wasn't into the idea of attaching any sort of permanent loops to the bag of the briefcase so it could attach to the handles. We thought about opening up the bottom of the newspaper pocket so the handles would slide through and i did really like that idea to the overall aesthetics of the briefcase. DSUTTI came up with the idea of making a simple matching suede lined leather band that will slip through the the back straps. Excellent idea and i am including his drawing to me, which i love when customers include them. DSUTTI i hope you don't mind?

The drawing also contains a way to handle the loose shoulder strap when attached to the bag and that i will further develop when the time comes.

ill keep you posted.

jp

Last edited:

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
we are going to be prepping the dark green suede hide or some might call it British racing Green - whatever label it is a beautiful Premium suede hide. Soft with an almost velvet like touch as you rub up and down the skin.

Its a bright day out today so i hung the hide right in front of the store window to capture that light.

Ive added some red and Sand suede as contrast.

Hermann Oaks "English" style of bridle leather is unmatched. This is American raised steer, slowly (up to 60 days) vegetable tanned in large pits right in St Louis using their own bridle leather recipe that i think has been going on for over 100 years. It is like their English style Harness leather, which i use, that is an industry staple to make high end Harness in the horse industry.

The main plate fresh cut right from the at the bum section - the tightest firmest part.

Some of the cut parts waiting to be processed

Last edited:

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Here is an update. We finished all the precisely measured cuts for the briefcase to come together. The suede has been applied and will be left over night to cure before we start hand punch all the holes and work on the edges. Still very much to do but here are some pics under studio lights

Dsutti

Reaction score
Thank you Joe! Love the color of both suede and the bag itself. Looking forward to seeing they come together.

Dsutti

Reaction score
Thanks! Joe. Love the color of both suede and the bridle leather itself. Can't wait to see them come together.

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
i just wanted to update you that ill have some pics if not tonight by tomorrow. I just worked on all the small detail things installing the lock and getting everything aligned.

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads