• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friends wedding - no ties allowed

tightslot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
you cant go wrong with a white linen PS....no matter what Foo says.
spam[1].gif
If you can find a white linen with a navy border, even better. I really like those.

I used to date a girl that I called Tight Slot. But after we were together for a bit I had to stop calling her that. hehehehe

Ah Derek...I love the comment, but now I can tell you have an overactive imagination
wink.gif
hehe

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tightslot
Ah Derek...I love the comment, but now I can tell you have an overactive imagination
wink.gif
hehe

hehehe. stick around. you have no idea.

tightslot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
hehehe. stick around. you have no idea.

Well I am hooked already..especially with quotes like yours..I too have an over active imagination! So was that true then.... lol
wink.gif

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Well I am hooked already..especially with quotes like yours..I too have an over active imagination! So was that true then.... lol
wink.gif

let me be the first to invite you to post in Dumb Threads. I think youll have the sense of humor to enjoy yourself. haha.

http://www.styleforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nelly
Stupid impersonal internet.

I might also recommend wearing a 3-piece suit.

+1,000. nelly and I see eye-to-eye on this. If that's the dress code, and as long as the groom is wearing a wool suit, then a three-piece suit worn tieless is just right. It obeys the letter and the spirit of the don't-be-buttoned-up code, it shows respect for the couple's wishes, and it simultaneously takes a stand for elegance and showing respect for the occasion. Since the couple have decided to do what looks bad, you have the right to be more dressy than the crowd so long as you play within the couple's rules.

You could even do the coat SBPL, or SBNL with a cream linen SB waistcoat, or SBNL with a low-cut self-fabric DB waistcoat. Any of those would look great in navy with a white shirt and square.

I would call, though, to ask what the groom is wearing.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, thanks for the quick response...

The username is TightSlot... nothing perverse I am afraid, it relates to an aviation term! So..any particular pocket square - I have never purchased one, so I assume I just buy a white one and fold it or are they pre folded?

Might, I sound dense! sorry guys! But glad the grey suit, brown thing is sounding good!

Cheers

Buy your pocket square in white linen and purchase it from Kent Wang. Then you will have a little white Wang in your Tight Slot.

Oh, and according to Manton, the only collar to wear sans tie is a button down. I'd say in this case going a little more Tom Ford is the better option. Sprezz me son, that is the answer to making it all work.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any advice is welcome, please feel free to share your ideas as I do not want to look an arse!

do the miami vice, do it.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are asking the man to jump off a bridge blind-folded. But he does seem to have a sense of humor and ability to take himself lightly. Maybe he can pull it off.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Punk it up a little. Go in ripped jeans and loud t-shirt with flaming skulls all over it. Also make sure you wear sneakers.

\\Or/

Summer wedding? Wear a Tan suit and blue button down collar. Look has always worked for me - even for formal weddings I often do this in daytime summer. Only time I broke this was when I was best man and wore a white tux at my friends behest. I do not like wearing ties when the sun outside is beating down with 85+ temperatures feeling like 100F with humidity.

tightslot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
You guys are asking the man to jump off a bridge blind-folded. But he does seem to have a sense of humor and ability to take himself lightly. Maybe he can pull it off.

Yes.. too right a sense of humour and all the wedding is being held at the beach on an old victorian pier so if the speeches are a bit crap I could always dive into the water and do a Daniel Craig as I walk out and up the beach
wink.gif

Wjleier

Reaction score
Ah, they don't want anyone to upstage the groom, I'm guessing. Unlucky guy must not dress well. I say go for a 3 piece navy suit, white shirt light brown shoes (unless you're a no brown after 6pm kinda guy) and a flashy pocket square. You'll still look flashy, stylish and will be the sharpest tack at the wedding.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After consuming near a cubic yard of gin and going into a 3-day weekend, this thread is on point. Nice job, fellas!

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Wear a navy, grey or tan suit. White shirt and white pocket square. Brown belt and shoes. You will look sharp.

White open shirt and sharp navy suit ...

Voila...

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ascot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads