• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fried Chicken

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh man, I haven't been to Harold's in years. Best logo in fast food history--but I'm still not completely sold on the BBQ sauce all over the fried chicken.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Price's Chicken Coop in Charlotte, NC. I ate that **** 3-4X a week when I was in high school. Take out only. I think both Bon Appetit and Saveur have it in their top 3. 1/4 dark chicken,homemade deep fried tater tots, coleslaw and roll was $3.25.

When my wife and I got married we decided to make Chicken Fried Steak (with pepper cream gravy and mashed potatoes, obviously) our Christmas day meal. We figured no matter how poor we were we could always afford to do that. Being in Texas we figured it was fitting.

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Where is there good fried chicken in LA?
I had a great one near USC after a game off a food truck. Are there any cool "soul food" places doing fried chicken in like, hwood or Silverlake?

you want high or low? bouchon does the ad hoc chicken every once in a while. it's kinda fun, but i don't know ... $30 for fried chicken? of course God swears by Roscoe's. And actually, it's really good. there's a soul food place down by me called Johnny Reb's (kitschy, but really good food) that does great fried chicken and fried catfish. I'm probably forgetting somebody, but those are the ones that come to mind.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

man, me too. one of my favorite places was called deacon burton's in atlanta ... junky old house and when you walk in there were like 6 home stoves lined up against the wall, each burner covered by a big old cast iron pan bubbling with fat. oh my.
Here's some guidance for homemade (duck edina!)

Hmm... you're from Texas which is almost Southern so I will give you the satisfaction of traffic, although I may not accept your advice.

FC is good-ass ****. Not sure why though but I've just stopped eating it except for wings. Really, wings are the only "whole" part of a chicken I can eat anymore.

The key, I've found, is it has to be a high-heat fry with heavily-seasoned batter. Keeps it from getting too greasy and gets it all crispy and ****.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

you want high or low? bouchon does the ad hoc chicken every once in a while. it's kinda fun, but i don't know ... $30 for fried chicken? of course God swears by Roscoe's. And actually, it's really good. there's a soul food place down by me called Johnny Reb's (kitschy, but really good food) that does great fried chicken and fried catfish. I'm probably forgetting somebody, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Low. I don't believe in high end chicken or hamburgers.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never had really good fried chicken

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've never had really good fried chicken

+1

Thomas, have you ever tried frenchys? It's close to UH, next to third ward. It's suppose to be amazing so I decided to try it, as soon as I walked in I knew I was outside of my element, I ate one piece of chicken and thew away the rest. The fries were okay. Many people seem to like it, I think its nasty, but I dont like fried food in general so that may have something to do with it.

Has anyone else in Houston tried this place?

hahaha

The frist time I had chicken fried steak it was amazing, maybe I was really hungry, but I have tried it from other places and its not the same.

Last edited:

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never eaten fried chicken. Nor seen it. (other than McD chicken mc nuggets)

Last edited:

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thomas, have you ever tried frenchys? It's close to UH, next to third ward. It's suppose to be amazing so I decided to try it, as soon as I walked in I knew I was outside of my element, I ate one piece of chicken and thew away the rest. The fries were okay. Many people seem to like it, I think its nasty, but I dont like fried food in general so that may have something to do with it.
Has anyone else in Houston tried this place?

I've eaten at Frenchy's. It's decent but if you don't like fried food that pretty much would spoil fried chicken for you.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I don't know, there's something about making fried chicken myself that does not appeal to me at all. I just would never do it. Oddly enough, the only meal my mother could actually cook was fried chicken. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads