• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday Challenge 18 September 2015: Seasonal Coherence

Who Did it Best?

• SYCSYC Autumn

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • bienluienapris Autumn

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • upr_crust Autumn

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • heldentenor Autumn

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Shen Autumn

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • eightace Spring

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • An Acute Style Autumn

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Koala-T Summer

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's now 12:31 GMT so the poll is closed. I don't know why it's showing that it hasn't, but SF is clearly having technical problems. Multiple attempts to access this page just gave me the error message

“There Seems to be a Problem
We're sorry, but there's been an error in our system, and we can't complete your request. Please report this error to us, using our feedback system. Thanks!”

Closing and restarting Firefox resulted in my being unable to access SF at all: Firefox claiming a redirect error on SF which was creating an infinite loop.

I'm posting this via Internet Explorer. My, this is exciting.

More in a moment.

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited:

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations to bienluienapris for a resounding win! I look forward to learning what you come up with for the next challenge.

Thanks to all who took the time to enter and to all who took the time to vote.

I’m very pleased with the geographic spread: we got entries from both northern and southern North America, Europe, and from the southern hemisphere, which was one of my goals.

Things I wish I owned:

upr_crust’s waistcoat (though I can’t imagine an occasion on which I could wear it)

heldentenor’s jacket

Shen’s pillow (already admired upthread by heldentenor who might also like this: http://www.balmoralcastle.com/acatalog/Cushions.html )

Bienluienapris: over to you.

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited:

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Go for it.

I’ve often been disappointed that FCs didn’t generate more discussion once the winner had been chosen. For some it doesn’t matter (I’m thinking for example of those where the challenge involves a single narrowly defined item of clothing, say, the best brown tie), but for more complex ones it strikes me that an opportunity has been missed. I’d like to have seen, for example, more extended discussion of the “Dress Down Your Suit” and the “Business Casual” challenges, for example.

Cheers,

Ac

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Coxsackie et alii:

Let me start by saying something controversial: I don’t think the four seasons are equal from a sartorial point of view.

I think we have two main ones, winter and summer, and spring and fall are in a sense parasitic on these.

This is one reason why spring and fall have such different sartorial associations even though their weather may be identical: it’s because spring anticipates summer whereas fall anticipates winter.

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited:

bienluienapris

Reaction score

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats BLEAP!

And so to my comments on the success (or otherwise) of the various fits.

Now, these were all quite nice. Just not seasonally coherent, which was the point of the exercise.

SYCSYC employed a shiny purplish rep tie, which matched his shoes and cufflinks well but didn't really suggest autumn (fall) to me.

BLEAP's fit was rather dashing, and stylistically consistent, but his prominently displayed pocket square screamed "Spring!".

Crusty's fit was formally coherent but didn't suggest any season in particular. Of course I do realise that it was his wedding outfit and he entered it into this comp as something of an afterthought.

Helden's fit was more consistent with autumn, except for the steel-grey worsted trousers which are seasonally neutral. Overall it was one of the three most vote-worthy efforts.

Eightace's tie said "Spring" but his jacket looked suspiciously autumnal to me.

AAS's fit was all over the place, as is his wont. Very individual, but not seasonally coherent by any stretch.

Finally, Koala's "summer" fit featured a green knit tie which I would associate more with autumn or maybe, at a stretch, early spring.

Shen was the only entrant whose sense of seasonal coherence I couldn't fault. Hence my vote.

Now, I'm not saying I could have done any better. Unfortunately this week I'm travelling and couldn't put anything together for this comp. I hope I haven't offended anyone - as usual, my comments are intended to be helpful in stimulating further discussion to the benefit of all.

bienluienapris

Reaction score
Congrats BLEAP!

BLEAP's fit was rather dashing, and stylistically consistent, but his prominently displayed pocket square screamed "Spring!".
Thanks you Coxsackie,

In fact you are right, my pocket square is spingly, and it was intentionated (otherwise a wool and silk rust pocket square is more for autumn). But as i said, Autumn is a between season, when i wear this outfit, there was lot of rain in the morning and sunshine during the end of the afternoon, that's why i think this pocket square could be coherent with the season.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads