• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fresco

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
You're really rolling with this, aren't you.
wink.gif

I've made my arguments against it for him, but there is no doubt that the ratio of (Rubinacci) cost to (Manhattan apartment dweller) utility is pretty compelling for a cream, DB linen suit, particularly for a first year associate.

Who doesn't want to see a 27 year old in a DB cream linen suit? What symbolizes hope better among the non-linen wearers in these down economic times? He'll get nothing but waves of approval as he walks the city, grabs his seat on the train, or squirts mustard from a hot dog onto his sleeve. Moreover, a suit like that leaves zero chance of stealing attention away from his wife when they are together...something that all women appreciate.

Plus, those dark, single sole, Plaza last longwings are just the thing for a cream linen suit in the summer. Let Manton keep his BandAids.

- B

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I've made my arguments against it for him, but there is no doubt that the ratio of (Rubinacci) cost to (Manhattan apartment dweller) utility is pretty compelling for a cream, DB linen suit, particularly for a first year associate.

Who doesn't want to see a 27 year old in a DB cream linen suit? What symbolizes hope better among the non-linen wearers in these down economic times? He'll get nothing but waves of approval as he walks the city, grabs his seat on the train, or squirts mustard from a hot dog onto his sleeve. Moreover, a suit like that leaves zero chance of stealing attention away from his wife when they are together...something that all women appreciate.

Plus, those dark, single sole, Plaza last longwings are just the thing for a cream linen suit in the summer. Let Manton keep his BandAids.

- B

crackup[1].gif
Thank you.

Yep, coolness personified.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have a cream linen suit. It is not the most useful thing. I wear the trousers seperately more than I wear it as a suit. Tan is much, much less conspicuous.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are a one man Stimulus Package.

- B

Precious
worship.gif
Precious

I love it when you have a good day.
lol8[1].gif

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
You're really rolling with this, aren't you.
wink.gif

I'm with Vox on this one. You're already squirming about weather clients would see you in it.

You should start with something subtle, like this:

PICT0529A.jpg

Beautiful. I have a suit of similar effect from the Cape Kid book -- Silvery gray with cream and salmon stripes. Also DB, but it is 4x1. They did that because I asked, but they still put the buttons where they thought they should be, so the stance is exactly like a 6x2 - it is just missing the lower buttons and buttonhole.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Beautiful. I have a suit of similar effect from the Cape Kid book -- Silvery gray with cream and salmon stripes. Also DB, but it is 4x1. They did that because I asked, but they still put the buttons where they thought they should be, so the stance is exactly like a 6x2 - it is just missing the lower buttons and buttonhole.

Sounds nice
smile.gif
I really like that book too.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I'd like a cream linen suit. But I imagine that would look weird at the office; it would certainly not be acceptable if I knew a client was going to catch a glimpse of me.

Start with blue linen for so many reasons.

That said, neither cream nor blue linen is appropriate for the office but a linen suit is perfect for visiting Rubinacci in Naples in warm weather and then departing for the Amalfi coast.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Start with blue linen for so many reasons.

That said, neither cream nor blue linen is appropriate for the office but a linen suit is perfect for visiting Rubinacci in Naples in warm weather and then departing for the Amalfi coast.

I am curious about your reasons. I started (and ended) with a blue linen suit, but I did that because I had a particular vision of what I wanted for a particular event.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In regards the original question, I have an oxford gray 3-piece in the H&S Crispaire (10oz. I think). I wear it year-round. In the winter, there are a few days it doesn't work, and in the summer, I generally don't wear the vest. But I have the fortune of living in a windy place; a porous weave like the Crispaire works well with wind. If you live someplace where the summer air is largely stagnant, forget trying to wear it on the hottest days.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have three Minnis 8/9 fresco suits by the MBTâ„¢ (Mystery Bespoke Tailorâ„¢) almost ready, so while I can't tell you now what disadvantages it has, if any, you'll be at least able to see shortly how well they make up.

- B

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have three Minnis 8/9 fresco suits by the MBTâ„¢ (Mystery Bespoke Tailorâ„¢) almost ready, so while I can't tell you now what disadvantages it has, if any, you'll be at least able to see shortly how well they make up.

- B

You have been driving this guy pretty hard. Or is he legion?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

- B

Thou tippest thy hand. Must be English, since you would only be so profligate in a degraded currency.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
You have been driving this guy pretty hard. Or is he legion?

Legion? Are you implying that I'm using Recep Cesur?

I wish!

Originally Posted by Manton
Thou tippest thy hand. Must be English, since you would only be so profligate in a degraded currency.

Don't lose you focus! You need to keep you eyes afixed on the SwissArmySuit™ that Edwin is finishing up. Various tailoring tricks had to be developed (or probably, rediscovered) to bring it to fruition (emphasis on fruit).

- B

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

Got it! It's DARREN BEAMAN!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Don't lose you focus! You need to keep you eyes afixed on the SwissArmySuitâ„¢ that Edwin is finishing up. Various tailoring tricks had to be developed (or probably, rediscovered) to bring it to fruition (emphasis on fruit).

- B

Thou dogeth my point.

In any case, I am happy with the BlazerSuit -- and I damned well better be, with one in the closet and two on the way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads