Four-in-Hand Knot Problem

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by thewildpig, Jun 6, 2007.

1. thewildpig

thewildpig Well-Known Member

I downloaded a video series on tying ties from a site run by a guy named Caspar Isemer called tie-a-tie.net. I spent $13.95 U.S. for the videos. I feel kind of stupid now, though, because a friend of mine sent me links to a whole slew of tie-tying videos on youtube. The videos I bought feature the half-Windsor, Windsor, Pratt, and Four-in-Hand knots. So far, I've only gotten the hang of the Four-in-Hand.

I have a problem. When I wear a tie with a Four-in-Hand, it seems like the knot likes to slide down slightly throughout the day so that it is no longer up close to the collar of my shirt. It's not a huge slide, but it's enough to cause me to adjust the knot a few times a day, sliding it back into position. Is this a common problem with the Four-in-Hand? Thanks in advance, guys. [​IMG]

2. Faded501s

Faded501s Senior member

It's too loose. Pull it tighter.

3. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

you bought a video to learn the four in hand??????

4. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

I downloaded a video series on tying ties from a site run by a guy named Caspar Isemer called tie-a-tie.net. I spent $13.95 U.S. for the videos. I feel kind of stupid now, though, because a friend of mine sent me links to a whole slew of tie-tying videos on youtube. The videos I bought feature the half-Windsor, Windsor, Pratt, and Four-in-Hand knots. So far, I've only gotten the hang of the Four-in-Hand.

[​IMG]

Im sorry, but i cannot stop chuckling a bit, but it is cute, that you innocently bought a video series on how to tie a tie for 14 bucks.

you could have asked us,or even on the internet , google how to tie a neck tie or something like that and a dozen sites come up on how to do this![​IMG]
    even mens wearhouse site has a section on how to tie (that is where, i admit, where i learned how to tie a half windsor)

5. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

Get thicker ties. The flimsy ones tend to come loose with neck movement.

6. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

7. royal618

royal618 Senior member

I sell instructional videos on how to tuck in a shirt and how to secure cuff links.

PM me for more details.

8. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

9. Rolo

Rolo Senior member

1. Over
    2. Under
    3. Around
    4. Through

Please paypal me $13.95. [​IMG]

10. Rolo

Rolo Senior member

Get thicker ties. The flimsy ones tend to come loose with neck movement.

I find that the nature of the silk can be as much (or greater) factor in whether a FIH will slip. I find that satin ties slip more than those with a bit of texture.

11. Tibo

Tibo Senior member

I sell instructional videos on how to tuck in a shirt and how to secure cuff links.

PM me for more details.

This is hilarious [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. thewildpig

you bought a video to learn the four in hand??????

No. The $13.95 gets you all four (Windsor, half Windsor, Four-in-Hand, and Pratt)knot-tying videos. I bought the videos to learn the Windsor, but the Four-in-Hand was the easiest.

13. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

the FIH I practically learned by accident. its what happens when you try to imitate your dad tying a tie. you remember him go around so you try going around, you see him pulling something through the front so you try that. then suddenly you have a knot...

14. thewildpig

Im sorry, but i cannot stop chuckling a bit, but it is cute, that you innocently bought a video series on how to tie a tie for 14 bucks.

you could have asked us,or even on the internet , google how to tie a neck tie or something like that and a dozen sites come up on how to do this![​IMG]
    even mens wearhouse site has a section on how to tie (that is where, i admit, where i learned how to tie a half windsor)

I did Google "how to tie a necktie". I found many, many sites with plenty of diagrams on how to tie a tie. However, I learn best when I actually see something being done as opposed to just seeing diagrams. Then I found the tie-a-tie.net video site. It had the videos I mentioned for $13.95, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I only mastered the four-in-hand, so I emailed Caspar, and he gave me a full refund. After that, I saw all the videos on tying ties on youtube.

15. lpwb32

lpwb32 Senior member

dont fall for the instructional video scams and dont listen to these pranksters here. just loop it, swoop it, and pull. see attached
    [​IMG]