Found a cool old coat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Aug 14, 2004.

1. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I went to one of my favorite thrift stores today while kicking around avoiding traffic, and I'm very glad I did. For $12 (and 30% off) I got a black wool morning coat, hand stitched single breasted peak lapels with piping, two buttons (I assume meant to be worn open, but not sure), cutaway front, longer tail with two buttons (decorative) on the back. Inside is stitched a label that reads: Stephen D. Herr 115 So. Dearborn St. Chicago Mr. (written[​IMG] R. Butterfield Date (written[​IMG] Feb 2 - 1915 Not sure what the lining is but it's a sort of twill satiny stuff in the body and then a silvery gray with purple and green stripes in the sleeves. It just about fits me, a bit too small in the shoulders and short in the sleeves. It's in basically pristine shape. I haven't gone over the whole thing but so far it is pretty much perfect. I'll post pics when I can get a hold of a camera. Anyone know anything about this? Does it have any value, other than as a cool collectors' piece or a great play prop? Oh yeah, and I also found a Jos A. Bank tuxedo, SB shawl lapel, in very good condition for $17.50. The jacket might be made to fit me better, but the pants are as if made for me and I've been looking for a good pair of these for 'odd' use for quite a while. All in all, an excellent day on the thrift circuit.

2. kidkim2

kidkim2 Senior member

Congratulations. And thank goodness you're not a 43XL.

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

My, an 89 year old coat

4. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

I saw a tailcoat from the same era once, it was beautifully made. In fact, it was the finest work I have ever seen. I would guess that they would be valuable to a collector, just got to find one.

5. rws

rws Active Member

I rather doubt that it does.  If I can go years without need of a morning coat here in the comparatively conservative East (and rather old-fashioned circles here and in Western Europe), you might go a lifetime without needing it in the Pacific Northwest.