• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foster & Sons ready made shoes thread

Maximus Rex

Reaction score
I agree that if you are buying shoes that are over $800 and are importing into the US, you should be aware and responsible for the import taxes. Period. However, it is unfortunate that DHL, FedEx, etc. often assess a large fee for paying your tax, and that tax itself is also often incorrectly calculated. I have paid 8%, 10%, 20% etc. in taxes without any justification as to the variability. It is annoying that what is actually owed is not necessarily clear at the onset.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree that if you are buying shoes that are over $800 and are importing into the US, you should be aware and responsible for the import taxes. Period. However, it is unfortunate that DHL, FedEx, etc. often assess a large fee for paying your tax, and that tax itself is also often incorrectly calculated. I have paid 8%, 10%, 20% etc. in taxes without any justification as to the variability. It is annoying that what is actually owed is not necessarily clear at the onset.

I've paid different rates depending on the exact item imported, including the county of origins, material composition, type of item, etc. I once paid a 50% tax on five cashmere items, which ended up being a hefty bill. A tailor in London told me the fee is levied even on cashmere blends, so if you order a sport coat made from a 99% wool and 1% cashmere blend, you owe 50% of the total bill.

There are online calculators to help you estimate your fees. Just Google "import duty calculator." Some sites are more sophisticated than others, but they charge money and require you to be very specific.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've paid different rates depending on the exact item imported, including the county of origins, material composition, type of item, etc. I once paid a 50% tax on five cashmere items, which ended up being a hefty bill. A tailor in London told me the fee is levied even on cashmere blends, so if you order a sport coat made from a 99% wool and 1% cashmere blend, you owe 50% of the total bill.

There are online calculators to help you estimate your fees. Just Google "import duty calculator." Some sites are more sophisticated than others, but they charge money and require you to be very specific.
When I got my first bespoke suit from Huntsman NYC, I was able to deduct the VAT but then had to pay 20% of customs fees. Now, Huntsman NYC is a US company so you don't have to pay customs and can pay in USD.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it was a 20% tax. If that’s the rate I’ll just refuse delivery & they can take it back

I guess I’ll just have them sent back. There’s nothing criminal about refusing delivery and getting your money back when you find out how much that tax is.

I don’t know the details, all I know is that most overseas shipments do something that avoids import taxes. I’m guessing that is what they do. My point is, I don’t expect to pay outrageous import taxes & that changes the nature of the transaction if I do.
I would ask DHL for supporting info behind the 20% bill. Either DHL or Fosters could;ve messed up, see Encore's post

I believe the rate should be between 5% (welted shoes) and 8.5% (shoes general). The one-time I've had to pay duty, DHL charged me 6% for a pair of EGs I ordered from a shop in Norway. 20% sounds exorbitant.

Quick box opening, sample from foster and son, half price, comes with free shoe trees, lucky me.

The process took longer tho... F&S forgot to indicate the manufacture location which increase the duties by a significant amount, did a lot of back and forth calls/ emails with both FS and DHL to sort it out, but it's worthy.

3FC0D1B1-470E-4CAA-8266-EA6E3A45C0D6.jpeg

30FE25F0-E459-4DB7-85B1-AEEA3B25F73A.jpeg

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
Considering how complicated income tax law is in the United States and how much DHL agents are being paid (or not paid as the case may be) it does not surprise me that they aren't the best in assessing the proper duty applicable.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I toyed with the idea of purchasing an expensive watch from an oversees AD, but eventually pulled the plug after no one at DHL could give me a straight answer on what the import duties would be

I wouldn't enjoy it, but I could eat a 20% import tax on an $800 pair of shoes...an unexpected 20% on a 5-figure watch purchase through would be a major issue for me

E. coli

Reaction score
I toyed with the idea of purchasing an expensive watch from an oversees AD, but eventually pulled the plug after no one at DHL could give me a straight answer on what the import duties would be

I wouldn't enjoy it, but I could eat a 20% import tax on an $800 pair of shoes...an unexpected 20% on a 5-figure watch purchase through would be a major issue for me

Most of the watch purchases I've made overseas have been with brand boutique or an AD who does a lot of business with the US so I've been pretty fortunate to deal with personnel familiar with the exporting wristwatches to the US. The seller when sending the watch needs to include what they call a watch worksheet that breaks down the watch parts- movement, case, bracelet, or strap from there tariff/custom duties are calculated by the most current Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS) the one for wristwatches are typically HTS Code: 9102.21.7010 and HTS Code: 9102.21.7030. DHL or FedEx wouldn't have the knowledge of this so they couldn't help.

Purchases ranged from $2k up to $10k with custom fees ranging from 6-8% depending on how the seller prepared the watch worksheet. The breakdown should legally represent the components of the watch accurately but there are sellers that are buyer friendly with this. When the USD was stronger I was actively perusing watches from Europe and the UK and the custom fees were negligible compared to the amount that I saved minus the VAT.

Really scratching my head on a 20% import tax on a pair of shoes, but agree with others that it wouldn't have affected my decision in purchasing a well made shoe like F&S at 50%. For the record my recent purchase of the Keble was under the $800 USD threshold so no fees were assessed- I was fortunate it appears.

Last edited:

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would ask DHL for supporting info behind the 20% bill. Either DHL or Fosters could;ve messed up, see Encore's post

I believe the rate should be between 5% (welted shoes) and 8.5% (shoes general). The one-time I've had to pay duty, DHL charged me 6% for a pair of EGs I ordered from a shop in Norway. 20% sounds exorbitant.
where did you get the 5% welted shoes and 8.5% general shoes number from?

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sutefan

Reaction score
Those boots from F&S are a steal at 50% off. Even with a little customs or VAT. In Norway, we only have VAT on shoes, but this is always charge, and is 25%.

Kawini

Reaction score
Here’s a bump on an old thread.

Is it possible to distinguish by looking at the nail pattern and soles between the high end and the low end of the now discontinued F&S RTW line?

Was there ever such a thing as an RTW catalogue or brochure that someone might have?

Below are two heels and soles from the RTW line. What are these nail patterns saying to me, if anything?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• FDB57DD4-E72B-480C-8406-38B55E3CD13B.png
    FDB57DD4-E72B-480C-8406-38B55E3CD13B.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
  • E9FAD632-F526-41B3-AC82-0E61A095DC4A.png
    E9FAD632-F526-41B3-AC82-0E61A095DC4A.png
    758 KB · Views: 63

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here’s a bump on an old thread.

Is it possible to distinguish by looking at the nail pattern and soles between the high end and the low end of the now discontinued F&S RTW line?

Was there ever such a thing as an RTW catalogue or brochure that someone might have?

Below are two heels and soles from the RTW line. What are these nail patterns saying to me, if anything?

Thanks in advance.

Don't think any of those are from their own factory, they used a different rubber top piece and different nail pattern (not the centre nail) from those, at least from the photos I have.

Kawini

Reaction score
Don't think any of those are from their own factory, they used a different rubber top piece and different nail pattern (not the centre nail) from those, at least from the photos I have.
Thank you very much for your response. I appreciate it.

Here’s a follow-up question. The pictures below are of a F&S branded shoe that looks very similar - but not identical, from the photos I have seen - to a shoe that F&S manufactured in their own factory. F&S called it Alvie.

Do you know who manufactured this shoe for F&S? My best guess - from the 337 notation - is that the manufacturer was Crockett & Jones. Would that be correct? If so, are there any generalizations that can be made about the quality of the shoes? Were C&J for F&S of this vintage essentially identical to C&J’s handgrade shoes, or of some lesser quality?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• F254A53B-16F7-420B-90A4-8C0DB04772B5.png
    F254A53B-16F7-420B-90A4-8C0DB04772B5.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • C3B94D99-D573-4244-8354-DE7AF0AEAEF6.png
    C3B94D99-D573-4244-8354-DE7AF0AEAEF6.png
    874.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 6E0E69BA-4D57-4CC0-A68D-7C4E06D82B56.png
    6E0E69BA-4D57-4CC0-A68D-7C4E06D82B56.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 301
  • FBB62192-118C-49DB-A799-7BC076275031.png
    FBB62192-118C-49DB-A799-7BC076275031.png
    556.6 KB · Views: 301

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads