• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It was the engineering team Schumacher had that made the difference.

The Sochi race is the worst race on the calendar. Nice to see that ************* Vlad Putin with Bernie again and the Putin backstage time is so comically awkward. That man has absolutely no personality.

No fur hats this year.

Oh without a doubt. From Fangio to Prost/Senna to Mercedes now, the cars and the team are sometimes lost. I will say that Vettel is the German equivalent of Rossi in Moto GP in terms of being himself, driving/riding the hell out of the car/motorcycle, hitting on women, and giving tribute where it's due to the team.

Also, I can't take anything away from the 22 guys that have a FIA super license.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This articulates the point I was making a few weeks ago about how the cars just don't look fast anymore.

During yesterday's quali, it hit me just how late on the power these current cars are. I guess the torque forces you to ease out of a corner, but it looks slow as they are rolling out of the corner and doing a 1-mississippi before powering down.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016/...-the-sport-answered-the-wrong-question-again/

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The camera work at this race seemed designed to make the cars look slow.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a problem for me this time, because the race was a bit boring, so I watched at 1.5x speed and the cars looked much better :happy:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ LOL might need to try that

I watched 2 interesting documentaries over the last week:

Senna vs Brundle

A doc chronicling the battle between Ayrton and Brundle in their season together in British F3. While it was insightful, I was irritated throughout at the lack of race footage. It's nice to chronicle events, but how about letting us see some footage of these close battles? Still worth a watch, but not well directed.

When Hammond met Moss

Great. So much I didn't know about Stirling Moss. The premise is 2 people affected by brain injury. Hammond had a massive wreck in a jet propelled dragster, and Moss had a crash in the UK. Tons of interesting conversation. Worth watching.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/230030/1/verstappen-in-shock-immediate-move-to-red-bull.html

Antonio Felix Dacosta was always the guy most prepared for that seat when Kyviat joined Torro Rosso.

Seeing Verstappen vs Ricciardo is going to be very interesting. It was fun seeing 2 young guys battle, but now we can see how good Max really is.

I don't see the point in moving Kyviat back to TR. He's done, never thought he was that great to begin with.

_______

In other news, this is such a joke. I guess it's not just Hamilton that's a douche, his fans are too.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016/...ent-with-open-letter-to-conspiracy-theorists/

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
He was moved to RBR too soon. I think they weren't really expecting Vettel to leave when he did. Their pipeline of young drivers had a little air bubble in it, so Kvyat got the nod despite lack of seasoning.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like he was pretty evenly matched against Ricciardo though. Also Verstappen vs Saintz is pretty evenly matched despite Verstappen getting most of the attention. It's not like Verstappen was always much faster in qualifying or much better in the races. I think it would have been better to have Verstappen develop until the end of this year, then move him up, but I guess something else is going on behind the scenes.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Seems like he was pretty evenly matched against Ricciardo though. Also Verstappen vs Saintz is pretty evenly matched despite Verstappen getting most of the attention. It's not like Verstappen was always much faster in qualifying or much better in the races. I think it would have been better to have Verstappen develop until the end of this year, then move him up, but I guess something else is going on behind the scenes.

I wouldn't call it even, Ricciardo had the measure.

I think it's simply convenient. They wanted Verstappen in the RBR, here was a moment to justify it. It's politics/contractual. Red Bull doesn't want Max to be courted by other teams.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Anybody catch qualifying today? Ferrari is getting further off the pace and looking worse.

Didn't seem so in practice.

By miles the best quali of the season. The Red Bull swap around added tons of interest.

I had a feeling Ricciardo was holding back, but definitely some relief. Max has all the qualities that Senna had. I don't know if Ricciardo can hold him off. Ricciardo beat Vettel. I had some minor doubts about Max, but it's looking like he'll eventually be faster.

Arivabenne looked awful post race interview... he looks under pressure.

Kyviat had a big confidence knock. Not sure his performance was indicative. Everyone smelled blood. His F1 career may be over, part of this sport is coping with pressure, you can or can't.

Lewis was quicker, race pace can dictate if he really can match Rosberg.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lewis was amazing under pressure in Q3, final lap, no time left dropping the best time.

McLaren finally made it to Q3.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ferrari have unlearned the lesson of the Todt/Brawn era: Strong team leadership which shields it from the car company's meddling executives. Anyone who thinks that Marchionne is helping the situation is mad.

prozach1576

Reaction score

Ferrari have unlearned the lesson of the Todt/Brawn era: Strong team leadership which shields it from the car company's meddling executives. Anyone who thinks that Marchionne is helping the situation is mad.

It is fascinating to me that one of the most powerful and high-profile business execs in the world chooses to spend so much time hovering around F1 and stirring the political pot.

Anyway, great race today. I was on the edge of my seat for the entire final stint.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyh78