• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

prozach1576

Reaction score
Seems to me that Lewis struggles with the new start procedure but has otherwise been in good form. I'm reluctant to go much further than that in constructing a narrative.

I'd of course like Nico to beat him this year, though.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Seems to me that Lewis struggles with the new start procedure but has otherwise been in good form. I'm reluctant to go much further than that in constructing a narrative.

The narrative I have brewing is that in his mind he's succeeded enough, 3 WCs, he's with the greats, work here is done. My sense is he wants to move on to other interests and the hunger for success has waned. Early days on this theory though.

Last edited:

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'Merica!

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ferrari has made a shitbox of a car so far. A blown engine on the formation lap this race, wtf...

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree. At the end of last year, Nico was beating Lewis in qualifying and the race. Now Lewis is back to form in qualifying, but it's just the start/clutch that is not working so good for him.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not saying that Hamilton will win the title this year, but these pronouncements of his being over seem a bit premature...

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm not saying that Hamilton will win the title this year, but these pronouncements of his being over seem a bit premature...

In F1 there is no second peak, I can't think of any drivers that apex and then get a 2nd wind unless the ground shifts below them. A driver that has peaked can get in a situation where the car/teammate align and pull another one out of the bag, but he was faster in the past. Prost only had to beat Hill. Mansell had Patrese. Hill had the stars align to grab a WC, and Villeneuve beat him the next season, and I don't rate him too well.

It lines up. Word is Lewis is enjoying the drink and late nights way too much. This maps to his drop in form. You can only burn the candle at both ends for so long. The next races will tell us more.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This was supposedly what was holding him back before, and it was baseless then, too. One average start (Australia) and one bad start (Bahrain) do not add up to falling off. Had he not been hit by Bottas, he almost certainly would have been second. The tire strategy (using the Medium) likely meant he could not have challenged for the win, though.

He could be at the end of his run, but there's little evidence for it at the moment.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This was supposedly what was holding him back before, and it was baseless then, too. One average start (Australia) and one bad start (Bahrain) do not add up to falling off. Had he not been hit by Bottas, he almost certainly would have been second. The tire strategy (using the Medium) likely meant he could not have challenged for the win, though.

He could be at the end of his run, but there's little evidence for it at the moment.

That's kinda the point... 2nd. And it's not 2 races... we're up to 8 now where the change in form started with Nico's string of poles and wins. I was always suspicious when Lewis started to blame a mystery change in the car.

prozach1576

Reaction score
I find it interesting that many analysts dismissed the new tire rules when they were first announced. The argument, as I recall, was that the optimal choices would be quickly apparent to the teams; they'd likely converge to roughly the same strategy and the variability intended by the expanded tire choices wouldn't meaningfully affect the outcomes on Sunday. In fact, that hasn't been the case at all.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Hamilton was slower than Nico in qualifying, I think the argument that he has peaked could be true, but actually it seems Hamilton is back to form with the new season start. Remember he qualified ahead of Nico by a pretty big margin in Australia, and edged out Nico under pressure in Bahrain (in other words, he's faster than Nico). The 2 loses in the races are all just down to the start/clutch not working as planned for Hamilton, and not really reflecting his actual race performance.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If Hamilton was slower than Nico in qualifying, I think the argument that he has peaked could be true, but actually it seems Hamilton is back to form with the new season start. Remember he qualified ahead of Nico by a pretty big margin in Australia, and edged out Nico under pressure in Bahrain (in other words, he's faster than Nico). The 2 loses in the races are all just down to the start/clutch not working as planned for Hamilton, and not really reflecting his actual race performance.

The Jarno Trulli effect?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The narrative I have brewing is that in his mind he's succeeded enough, 3 WCs, he's with the greats, work here is done. My sense is he wants to move on to other interests and the hunger for success has waned. Early days on this theory though.

It's quite possible. He's matched Senna which he claims was his goal (or was that Alonso?). However, pretty silly to make any calls after RACE 2 of 20 or 21.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's quite possible. He's matched Senna which he claims was his goal (or was that Alonso?). However, pretty silly to make any calls after RACE 2 of 20 or 21.

Hadn't considered that, but you're right about the Senna thing. And it was Senna.

Like I said, its not race 2... its the 8th race in a row that Nico has eclipsed Hamilton.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads