• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formal wear Question- A bit Urgent

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few questions regarding formal wear:

1) Black watch plaid tie and cumberbund with a white dinner jacket and no studs. What are opinions on this?
2) Where to buy the aforementioned tie and cumberbund? i have looked at BB RL Paul Stuart...any suggestions would be welcome.
3) If no to the white jacket, can i wear a black tuxedo with a bib front shirt with no studs?

I say no studs because the event is not true black tie, and in my opinion, the studs make the outfit very formal. Without them it is more of dinner look as opposed to a black tie look. Any thoughts?

Thanks to the wisdom of the forum in advance!

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a gentle bump

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All reasonable (and unreasonable) concerns can probably find their answers here.

If you'd prefer a button-down shirt and no black bow tie, it's no longer really formalwear -- and when the dress code provided is "not true black tie," it's kind of tough to offer an opinion.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1) Black watch plaid tie and cumberbund with a white dinner jacket and no studs. What are opinions on this?
2) Where to buy the aforementioned tie and cumberbund? i have looked at BB RL Paul Stuart...any suggestions would be welcome.
3) If no to the white jacket, can i wear a black tuxedo with a bib front shirt with no studs?

I say no studs because the event is not true black tie, and in my opinion, the studs make the outfit very formal. Without them it is more of dinner look as opposed to a black tie look. Any thoughts?

I'm of the opinion that you should either do black tie or not. There should not be any in-between, like regular ties with dinner jackets, bib-front shirts with buttons instead of studs, etc..

If the event is not black tie, and you don't want to wear black tie, then don't wear a dinner jacket/trousers. You can still put together a formal ensemble with a conservative suit.

Regarding your post, I don't even know what a "dinner look" is. If you wear a dinner/tuxedo jacket with a bib-front shirt, then the look is formal, period. The presence or absense of studs isn't going to change it. If you skip the studs, it is just going to look like you lost/forgot/couldn't afford them.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I say no studs because the event is not true black tie, and in my opinion, the studs make the outfit very formal. Without them it is more of  dinner look as opposed to a black tie look. Any thoughts?

1) Please don't do this. If you're doing the white DJ thing, that's 'interesting' enough - play the rest of the outfit pretty straight. If you're doing the blackwatch, that's enough on its own - everything else should be black.
I don't think either of those options are, however, a good idea.

2) I'm glad those items are hard to find.

3) By 'bib front' do you mean atux shirt or just one with no buttons showing (fly front)?

Will you be wearing tux pants or just plain black pants?

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This ^^

Also, white dinner jacket evokes summer / tropical while black watch evokes winter / Christmas. The two themes are polar opposites.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm with the others. Either do black tie correctly or break out the old navy solid.

sullivan025

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I agree with the guys here too. Stick with the classic - black tie or just wear a great-looking suit.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, you have all convinced me. I will just wear the tux then.

Many thank yous!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads