• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For those who went through/are in college: Any advice?

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am taking 4 classes this semester. I start at 8 am and end at 1:45 or so. This is commuter college, meaning I have to drive there in the morning during rush hour traffic about 45 minutes from my house and from school I have to go to work. I work full time on top of school. Thankfully my school is the opposite direction from Atlanta so once I get to the freeway traffic is a bit lighter in my direction, but the traffic around the school is RIDICULOUS. I hope this year to not be late at all to any of the 8 am classes.
biggrin.gif

Cavalier

Reaction score
If you make small talk with your professors and act friendly-- you'll not only get better grades, but many other possible benefits. Its especially important you talk to the teachers who are teaching classes/involved in a profession/industry you are interested in. Ask them questions about your future classes/job opportunities etc.

Raise your hand when the professor is waiting for an answer for ever and everyones too cool---ask a question if you're confused.

Then pop in on them during office hours, ask some questions from your study guide or book or whatever.

If you see an other opportunity to talk them do so, some possible topics: a classic car they might be restoring, golf courses around the area, etc.

I am NOT saying to become their best friend and eat lunch with them------ just make some small talk like you would with a co worker.

The opportunities are endless, internships, they'll write you letters of recommendation for grad school/work/anything and they look DAMN good as "personal character" references when you're applying for a job, etc. etc.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I think studying in groups only really benefits dumb or average people, at least for undergrad-level courses.
I only study with my real life friends or good looking girls from class. Otherwise you're wasting your time and helping the slackers pass the class. The only way getting involved in one of those groups in class is worth while is if you plan on slacking off/skipping

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
Also I think some people try to overwhelm themselves with a challenging schedule the FIRST semester. Some people do well but others bomb.

This is sound advice. I recommend not taking more than 16 units especially if you are a pre-med or engineer. I averaged around 18 units plus independent research my first three years of college and never broke a B+ average. When I finally got to senior year and decided to ditch my plans of a double major with pre-med requirements, I took 14 units, raised my GPA, and was a much happier person.

Take a small group seminar if you have the opportunity. Higher level courses are much more demanding, but you are forced to work and you learn so much more. Also, try to avoid taking more than one graduate course per semester until you are a junior or senior.

EDIT: Take advantage of office hours. Especially for large intro courses. This is a must for most introductory science courses like organic chem, engineering courses, or Econ 101. It helps provide a flavor for exam material and also gives you a gauge for how hard others are working.

Philly_Student

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
Dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but don't ever schedule a class before Noon.

Sometimes it's unavoidable. In that case I highly recommend naps. You may laugh but naps can be the most useful tool available to you as a college student. If, or more accurately when you have to pull an all nighter an hour nap before you begin will do wonders to clear your head.

Also make sure you have two alarm clocks. You don't want your all-nighter to pass in blissful slumber.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
Dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but don't ever schedule a class before Noon.

This is the most asinine advice I have heard yet. Take the courses you need and want to take at the times that work best for you. Have some foresight, by the way. Giving yourself a late schedule (i.e. no classes before noon) can have the adverse effect of getting you used to sleeping in. That can be a problem in different ways: you may get used to partying all night and you'll never get used to needing to get up early (for work later). Plus, sometimes you can't help but take classes when the prof offers them. I'm not changing my schedule to suit one student.

And I can also add to that that your advisor will think you're an ass for not wanting to take any classes before noon.

A better idea is to spread your classes out so that you have time for lunch, for office hours, and for other day time activities. As an example, where I last taught students took 4 classes per semester. Most took 2 MWF and 2 TTh, or something similar.

b

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
This is the most asinine advice I have heard yet. Take the courses you need and want to take at the times that work best for you. Have some foresight, by the way. Giving yourself a late schedule (i.e. no classes before noon) can have the adverse effect of getting you used to sleeping in. That can be a problem in different ways: you may get used to partying all night and you'll never get used to needing to get up early (for work later). Plus, sometimes you can't help but take classes when the prof offers them. I'm not changing my schedule to suit one student.

And I can also add to that that your advisor will think you're an ass for not wanting to take any classes before noon.

A better idea is to spread your classes out so that you have time for lunch, for office hours, and for other day time activities. As an example, where I last taught students took 4 classes per semester. Most took 2 MWF and 2 TTh, or something similar.

b

+1

When I was in school I took all of my classes in the morning (when I could). I was typically done with all of my classes no later than 1pm. Then I had time for lunch and it freed up my afternoon to study before I went to practice in the afternoon and work in the evening. I always found it amusing when I met my friends for lunch and they were all complaining about starting their day and I was just finishing my classes.

kakemono

Reaction score
If you get in a study group, make sure the study group consists of everyone about the same "level"... i.e.. you dont have one brainiac doing everything and also you dont have the leecher. Study groups can be great if you actually work together to do the hard assignments. Don't do easy work in groups.

Worry more about your GPA*Play/Work score than your GPA.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kakemono
Worry more about your GPA*Play/Work score than your GPA.

The work is the most important part of the equation (assuming you have a 3.0+ GPA).... do whatever you can to get the best possible internship/co ops/jobs. Don't waste your time working retail or doing other menial labor if it can be avoided. Try to find opportunities that will advance your future professional career

SamIam33

Reaction score
I second not skipping classes. It can become a bad habit, plus you're paying for them! I would say get involved as possible and try some new things even if you feel uncomfortable.

apocalypse later

Reaction score
Alright guys, here's a little update on college life so far.

I've met some cool guys and a girl that seems to be really into me. Thing is, I've hung out with the same people all four nights (see the Social+Drink board for updates on the girl). Is it time to start meeting some other people? I'm just concerned that I'll get left in the dust if I don't have a variety of friends.

Oh, and I haven't had any classes yet, just orientation. I just feel a bit weird about walking around the floors and introducing myself to people, especially on the girls floors.

alexei

Reaction score
Yes! Be as sociable as you can early on. I had a handful of really close friends with whom I always spent my time. After a couple years, however, some people transfer, some might drop out (hopefully not, but college isn't for everyone), some might graduate early
teacha.gif
, and then you're stuck your senior year with no roommates and trying to make new friends. Of course, if you're the type to make friends very quickly and that's not a problem, then good for you!

BankerBoi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Ever hear of an open house? There's a lot of them at college.
You shouldn't have any problem finding a place to drink.

The current foreclosure wave could be a bonanza for squatters. And people needing
a house to party in.

Also join some club or social organization.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads