• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For those who went through/are in college: Any advice?

alexei

Reaction score
Oh... and do NOT be the person wearing pajamas to class. Even if most people don't care, you certainly shoud!

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There're a fair number of current or former (me) professors here.

One piece of advice:

It's not the professor's fault, it's yours. End of story.

Your **** grade was what you earned by not studying, not reading, and not coming to class. Hell, I even cut you a break by rounding up your grade that shouldn't have been rounded up. You still failed--and didn't graduate.

You didn't get registered for classes because you came to the advising meeting unprepared and kept saying "I don't know" because you didn't take the last two weeks to think about it, so I had to kick you out. Or simply because you never made an appt to come in and register.

That wasn't a trick question meant to make you miss points. You weren't paying attention.

And finally, at the end of the semester when you write "this guy's a dick" on the course evaluation, I will recognize your handwriting and will tell all my colleagues about it. And add on about how I offered to tutor you twice a week and was nice enough to email the homework assignments you weren't in class to pick up.

b

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
And finally, at the end of the semester when you write "this guy's a dick" on the course evaluation, I will recognize your handwriting and will tell all my colleagues about it.

Damn! I always suspected no matter what was said, you guys got to see the course eval sheets.

Seriously though, totally agree with all that you said. I would also laugh myself silly on the inside when someone would say, "It's not that I don't know this stuff, it's just that I don't test well..." Oddly enough, every single time I knew the exam content well, I tested well.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Damn! I always suspected no matter what was said, you guys got to see the course eval sheets.

As an aside, that was a quirk of the last place where I taught where if the class was 20 or more (I think that was the limit) they wouldn't type up the comments and would just give you copies of the originals. Stupid. Sure if there're 200 I won't get the handwriting, but I've had classes of 20 where I could pick out nearly every one.

And the faculty debated (still are) for ages whether or not to use on-line evals. Duh.

b

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One more thing about buying text books -

If you are good, you can buy them the week after school starts on Ebay for a low price, since most everyone has already bought their books by this time. Then, when you are done, you can sell them on Ebay a few weeks prior to classes starting up again, prime time for book-buying. This way, you can actually make money on your books instead of getting F'd by the textbook trade.

My school tended to start two weeks later than most others, so this worked out well for me.

nioh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apocalypse later
2. I have to find some way to keep organized, and I can't see myself keeping track of **** with a pad of sticky notes and a calender. I was thinking of getting an old PDA or something. Can anyone comment on how they kept track of their schedule?

Sync your cell with the calendar in your notebook.

apocalypse later

Reaction score
I've got a few last questions about clothing, and considering this is styleforum, I didn't think that would be a problem:

1. I think having a suit would be a good idea, but I've never bought a suit (I'm 19). I saw a couple at H&M for $100 (well, $50 for the pants and $50 for the jacket). I have literally no experience with anything this formal, as I said, but I'm guessing I just go by my jacket size and then my waist size. Do you guys think it would be worthwhile to buy a suit?

2. I think that wearing "styleforum/SuFu" clothes everyday would get a little excessive (and expensive) and people would think I'm trying too hard. My friend said that I'd be better off just wearing AA tees+jeans+slip-ons every weekday so I save my nice **** for the weekend. Good idea? I just can't see myself throwing on a Marc Jacobs jacket over an APC polo every single day :p

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a few last questions about clothing, and considering this is styleforum, I didn't think that would be a problem: 1. I think having a suit would be a good idea, but I've never bought a suit (I'm 19). I saw a couple at H&M for $100 (well, $50 for the pants and $50 for the jacket). I have literally no experience with anything this formal, as I said, but I'm guessing I just go by my jacket size and then my waist size. Do you guys think it would be worthwhile to buy a suit? 2. I think that wearing "styleforum/SuFu" clothes everyday would get a little excessive (and expensive) and people would think I'm trying too hard. My friend said that I'd be better off just wearing AA tees+jeans+slip-ons every weekday so I save my nice **** for the weekend. Good idea? I just can't see myself throwing on a Marc Jacobs jacket over an APC polo every single day :p
Unless you have some sort of formal function to go to (some Greek events, a wedding, etc.) you won't need a suit until you start interviewing for a job or internship. It's probably worthwhile to wait to get something in case your tastes, needs, or budget change. Depending on how people at Marquette dress socially, you may or may not need a blazer for some things, but I have no idea. As for class, wear whatever you want. You'll see people wear a variety of things, from gym shorts, flip-flops, and an undershirt to being dressed to the nines just going to a lecture. I doubt anyone will think you're trying too hard just for putting on clothes from your closet unless you reak of cologne and have your hair immaculately gelled 24/7. More than a few of the pictures from college-age members in WAYWT are of kids going to class. Though AA T-shirts, nice jeans, and slip-ons are appropriate and low maintenance everyday clothes for just going to class. My only other advice would be to prepare ahead of time for registration. Know what your first, second, and third choices are in case the classes you want are taken and be ready to register the minute it's available for you. Nothing ruins a semester more than useless classes you don't need or Financial Accounting at 8 in the morning when you could've taken it at 2 in the afternoon.

apocalypse later

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Unless you have some sort of formal function to go to (some Greek events, a wedding, etc.) you won't need a suit until you start interviewing for a job or internship. It's probably worthwhile to wait to get something in case your tastes, needs, or budget change. Depending on how people at Marquette dress socially, you may or may not need a blazer for some things, but I have no idea.

As for class, wear whatever you want. You'll see people wear a variety of things, from gym shorts, flip-flops, and an undershirt to being dressed to the nines just going to a lecture. I doubt anyone will think you're trying too hard just for putting on clothes from your closet unless you reak of cologne and have your hair immaculately gelled 24/7. More than a few of the pictures from college-age members in WAYWT are of kids going to class. Though AA T-shirts, nice jeans, and slip-ons are appropriate and low maintenance everyday clothes for just going to class.

My only other advice would be to prepare ahead of time for registration. Know what your first, second, and third choices are in case the classes you want are taken and be ready to register the minute it's available for you. Nothing ruins a semester more than useless classes you don't need or Financial Accounting at 8 in the morning when you could've taken it at 2 in the afternoon.

Thanks man. And about registering: I'm done already. Got all the classes I want, too. Prime times also--I start at around 9:00 every day, and I'm done by 1:00. (Those may not be prime for you guys, but for me they are, I get a lot more done in the day). Yeah, I have to take 18 credits my first semester, that's why I have three classes a day.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy a slow cooker and a George Forman grill.

Remember to eat fruit, least you fall victim to scurvy.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you are going to be living in residence, I'm going to give you the most important and BESTEST piece of advice anyone will ever give you.

BUY SHOWER SHOES.

I just saved you from stepping in piss, ****, ***, and vomit. You are welcome.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do your best. Blowing the bell curve for everyone else gives me sweet satisfaction. I always do my assignments, and have pretty good grades. I'm going to a community college and the state pays my tuition.
smile.gif
It comes from the Georgia lottery, not taxpayer money, or I'd have a problem with that.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks man. And about registering: I'm done already. Got all the classes I want, too. Prime times also--I start at around 9:00 every day, and I'm done by 1:00. (Those may not be prime for you guys, but for me they are, I get a lot more done in the day). Yeah, I have to take 18 credits my first semester, that's why I have three classes a day.

Not bad. I'm not much of a morning person (few college students are), so thankfully my first class isn't 'till 11:30.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but don't ever schedule a class before Noon.

WSW

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
Dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but don't ever schedule a class before Noon.

And don't schedule a class where it will take you more than 15 min to walk there. You'll always be late.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads