• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foo shops for a Japanese knife

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I think the issue is finding a balance between a surfance dense enough not to get easily marked up with grooves and such, dense enough not to be so pockmarked that it becomes a virus habitate, hard enough that you can do heavy work on it, but soft enough that your knife edge is not wrecked by it. Turns out that combining all these qualities is somewhat difficult.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think the issue is finding a balance between a surfance dense enough not to get easily marked up with grooves and such, dense enough not to be so pockmarked that it becomes a virus habitate, hard enough that you can do heavy work on it, but soft enough that your knife edge is not wrecked by it. Turns out that combining all these qualities is somewhat difficult.
I think sani-tuff is all of these. Not pretty, but who cares. And it is kind of heavy.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think sani-tuff is all of these. Not pretty, but who cares. And it is kind of heavy.

I guess I am going to have to take Matt's advice about how bad the Epicurean -- and the Boardsmith guy -- is and your advice about the Sani-tuff. I just wish it came in a few different colors as I would like to implement some version of the "green for vegetables, yellow for poultry etc." system. One big advantage that Sani Tuff has is that it is so heavy and does not slide around, not even a little. Since my forays into the kitchen are usually a cross between Samurai Prep Chef and the Three Stooges, this is important.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
bit of a newb cook question... are Chef's knives and Santoku's interchangeable?

I've got a 7.5 shun santoku already, would it be preferable to have something like that VG Gyuto, instead of or in addition to? or maybe add a wusthof classic chef's so one western style chef and one asian santuko. Would one of those two be redundant or useful addition?

My planned arsenal:

Core:
chef knife or santoku
paring knife
serrated bread knife

Eventual Extras:
cleaver
boning / filet

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Santokus vs chef is just a different cutting style really. You chop more than rock the knife with a santoku. Depends what you prefer.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Santouku has tip shaped like gyuto and belly shaped like nikiri. Tips is for slicing and belly is flat for chopping. It's very inefficient to rock at the belly.

I am a believer in cleaver. LOL.

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check also the key-word tama-hagane-(steel), e.g. ehamono, yoshimitsu or this munemasa looks also nice:

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bit of a newb cook question... are Chef's knives and Santoku's interchangeable?

I've got a 7.5 shun santoku already, would it be preferable to have something like that VG Gyuto, instead of or in addition to? or maybe add a wusthof classic chef's so one western style chef and one asian santuko. Would one of those two be redundant or useful addition?

My planned arsenal:

Core:
chef knife or santoku
paring knife
serrated bread knife

Eventual Extras:
cleaver
boning / filet

coming in late, sorry. this is one of those questions that can only be answered by picking up the knife and using it. personally, I find santokus to be too light. Other, better, cooks love them. honestly, though, most of them seem to be women, who have been bugged by chefs knives that were too heavy for them to use comfortably.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
hmmm, interesting. My original understanding/logic had been that each 'tool' is appropriate for the task, and thought that many santoku's versus chef's knives served different purposes, so figured you guys were going to say one was more useful than the other based on most requirements but the feedback seems to indicate that either knife can do the same job and it's a just a matter of personal preference.

I'm 'compact' so have always felt more comfortable with knives around the 7.5-8 inch mark. I've got that (correction) 7 inch shun santoku, so I think I'll still pick up an 8 inch western style for a different feeling and branch out from there.

Further question, is something like that VG Gyuto very different from a classic wusthof or even a Mac chef's knife? I can see a slightly different tip shape (gyuto more rounded off), are they all that different?

and out of sheer curiosity, I've seen people use cleaver looking knives almost exclusively as their chef's knives, how the heck does that work?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I don't know how to explain this but a gyuto will be a different shape or "profile" than a santuko or German chef's. The latter will have a lot of belly or curve, the former very little, and the gyuto will be in the middle. moreover the curve on the gyuto will itself be different, the purpose being to make the knife more agile at the tip. It's much easier to use just the tip of a long(ish) gyuto to do delicate work than it is with the others. You can kind of see this in the way the top (spine) is straight from the bolster for a long while and then sharply plunges toward the tip.

Beyond this, any Japanese knife will be made of thinner, but harder metal than any german knife (that I know of). the blade geometry will take a 15* bevel on each side whereas for German knives 22* is more like it. You can get a Japanese knife much sharper than a German knife and it is way more agile, but it is also more delicate and prone to chipping. The german knife will be more versatile in that you can hack through heavy things or cut hard squash and the like that might hurt your gyuto. If you get a Japanese knife and you frequently have to cut heavy stuff, you will want to supplement it with a heavier, thicker bladed knife like a deba or something.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's a good explanation manton. maybe think of it this way: gyutous are chefs knives that are great for doing detailed cuts; chefs knives are great for chopping, heavy work; santoukus are lighter and (IMHO) better for vegetable work than anything else. if you have a santouku now and like it as a chefs knife replacement, that's great. but it's not really a replacement.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Here is another way to think about it.

The straighter the edge of a knife like this, the less it is intended to be pushed, pulled or rocked. A lot of western cuts/techniques use such motions but traditional Japanese technique does not. They tend to simply move the knife straight up and down off the board without any "sawing" or rocking. If you like to cut like that, Santuko might work. (Although the nakiri or Usuba are more "pure" versions)

Personally I cut that way sometimes but also other ways a lot of the time. If I were limited to doing just that it would drive me nuts. I find that a gyuto can rather easily do the "up-down" but a santuko cannot rock or draw. So, gyuto every time.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hate santokus. They are like having a short penis, and while that is a genetic reality for some, it shouldn't be purchased at Williams-Sonoma.

Otherwise I generally agree with manton and foodguy except that I think a thin knife goes through hard ingredients better than a thick one does, and that debas would be awful on squash, since they are really only for fish. Oh, my gyuto is thicker than foodguy's wusthof, I would imagine, but knives like this are the exception, not the rule. I find that I like substantial knives, but not the traditional ones with the big finger guards that are murder on sharpening.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hate santokus. They are like having a short penis, and while that is a genetic reality for some, it shouldn't be purchased at Williams-Sonoma.

Otherwise I generally agree with manton and foodguy except that I think a thin knife goes through hard ingredients better than a thick one does, and that debas would be awful on squash, since they are really only for fish. Oh, my gyuto is thicker than foodguy's wusthof, I would imagine, but knives like this are the exception, not the rule. I find that I like substantial knives, but not the traditional ones with the big finger guards that are murder on sharpening.

i'm assuming the phallic subtext through the entire post was entirely intentional. and though we're buddies, you've never seen my wusthoff, Bay Boy (nor are you likely to).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads