• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foo-approved

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
As long as the suit is not black, you are safe from the RD reference I think.

I sometimes were a light tie too but it's a fine line between a silvery tie that looks like it's for morning wear and one that's right for night.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Cool thread. Foo is hard to please, indeed.

What say you of the tonal separation here?

22410MilanBW_8845Web.jpg

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

:laugh:

When you go to CostCo and bring home a 30-pack of paper towels, are you collecting paper towels, or are you being a savvy shopper?

you are wasting space in your pantry or basement :)

--
fvoxys fit has a blue/white striped shirt. it may be subtle, but in the context of using different shades that create a palate of all blues, fit, i dont think his is in the convo. its a different look. its nice of course, and the fit is to be jealous of, but its a different look.

just my take.

and foo, you better freaking stay up with this venture, it could be potentially very informative and entertaining.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

As long as the suit is not black, you are safe from the RD reference I think.
I sometimes were a light tie too but it's a fine line between a silvery tie that looks like it's for morning wear and one that's right for night.

Dark-white-dark is just too binary. There is nothing to tie together the elements--particularly at night and under dim lights when dark greys and dark blues often might as well be black. I like my jacket, shirt, and tie to each inhabit a distinct section of the tonal range. This is not always possible, but it is the goal.

At any rate, timotune is dressed for daytime, in the middle of spring, so his lighter colors make more sense. It is not a sensible fall or winter outfit, but the seasonality is one of its virtues.

Cool thread. Foo is hard to please, indeed.
What say you of the tonal separation here?
22410MilanBW_8845Web.jpg

It looks like it could be fine--the question is the colors used.

fvoxys fit has a blue/white striped shirt. it may be subtle, but in the context of using different shades that create a palate of all blues, fit, i dont think his is in the convo. its a different look. its nice of course, and the fit is to be jealous of, but its a different look.

Yes, it is a different look, probably with a different goal. I'm just saying that it is not as challenging or visually pleasing--even though nine times our of ten, I myself dress more like he is in that photo than like timotune.

and foo, you better freaking stay up with this venture, it could be potentially very informative and entertaining.

That will depend on the moderators.

Last edited:

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are going to do bright then every piece should be bright to balance every piece out. A snap here and a dull there is not together, sorta like a suit coat with some other pants. The contrast needs to be equal.

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

if the dots were pin dot sized as those on timotunes tie i'd like this even more. in my personal opinion with too large churchill or polka dots you risk looking like a magician. not that these here are too big, not at all.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Foo, my guess would be that the pants are slightly off white and the coat is camel.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If you are going to do bright then every piece should be bright to balance every piece out. A snap here and a dull there is not together, sorta like a suit coat with some other pants. The contrast needs to be equal.

What are you "balancing" if everything is identical? I understand balance as checking one component's extremes against another's.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

if the dots were pin dot sized as those on timotunes tie i'd like this even more. in my personal opinion with too large churchill or polka dots you risk looking like a magician. not that these here are too big, not at all.

Vox is a magician.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can we use this thread for "What Would Foo Do" advice-type questions?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Foo, my guess would be that the pants are slightly off white and the coat is camel.

If so, I think the shoes are too dark. It doesn't look bad, as I imagine it. But it is not ideal.

Xenon

Reaction score

I have a well-earned reputation for being a picky grouch around here. But every now and then, I do see something I like a lot. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. In this thread, I post the proof.
Here's one for starters:
If you are a rule-of-thumb kind of guy, you may think there is too much blue in this outfit. In truth, it is exceptionally well-balanced. The different shades of blue come together very nicely, as they are broadly distributed across both the saturation and brightness ranges. Perhaps a good practice for most WAYWRN posters would be to view their photos in black and white. You'd be able to tell immediately if your outfit has enough tonal separation.
Also, notice the textural range. There are rough, matte, and shiny surfaces. The shoes were an exceptionally smart pick. He could have gone with well-polished black, brown, or burgundy calf-skin shoes, which would have been perfectly fine. But brown suede really raises this outfit to another level. It takes the edge off the slickness while filling out the rough end of the texture spectrum. The sleek, more urban design of the shoes keeps them in line.
There is lots of blue, yes. That's what makes the outfit's balance so much more impressive and interesting.
Nits? Well, the sleeve fit may be effed, but I can't tell because of the way he's holding his arms. I don't like the slanted besom pockets, either. They are more of a distraction than anything else. Also, the gorge is too high, but short of cartoonish.

It strange because the first (further away from camera) photo shows tones that appear to work where up close (in second and third photo) the tonal combination is not great by any means.

"But brown suede really raises this outfit to another level. It takes the edge off the slickness while filling out the rough end of the texture spectrum"

Not really, it's just less formal

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think you need the larger dots here. Smaller would create a pattern too close in scale to that of the shirt.

Don't mean same hue, but the same power as balance.

No, I understood. My point is that when all components are identical in a given respect, such as brightness, it doesn't lead to visual balance. In fact, it tends to lead to unpleasant clashing. The eye would neither be able to find respite from any of the outfit's extremes, nor would it want to move around the outfit. When there is a range of colors, tones, patterns, scales, textures, saturations, etc., the average of each tends to reach a happy medium while retaining interest through variance.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Not really, it's just less formal

Yes, really.

They are less formal, but the texture and color are also rougher and earthier, respectively, than the rest of the outfit. You can choose to view things strictly in terms of formality if you wish, but I like to concern myself with aesthetics as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads