• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fly fishing

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Closer to five, but still very doable. The ***** is river permits at anywhere from $50 to $1000 for a beat, but on the plus side there were only 6 rods on the 10km of the river we fished. And on the super plus side my wife and i are were the only ones to catch fish.

There is a $50 lake card that allows you to fish about 40 lakes around the country. Þingvallavatn, the most famous. Trying my luck on a few tomorrow.

lefty

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thinking about doing a trip to Cabo this year if I can swing it financially (lol) but realistically probably next year. My question, though, is does anyone know of good spots to do shark fly fishing? Talked to a guide who does Cabo and he says occasionally you'll see hammerheads but you can't really fish for them there. Don't mind doing a bit of travelling.

Li'l help?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How's your cast? Unless you can accurately double haul 50-60' of line into the wind a salt trip may be a waste of time.

Why the hell do you want to catch a shark?

lefty

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgot about this thread again....

Middle of summer here, doing a reasonable amount of fishing over xmas and when time permits. Just got a 4wt switch rod so it's been fun learning the different spey casts but being dry fly season I've mostly been casting it single handed for now and only short 30ft casts. start of hopper season now i'll have some fun skipping them on the surface and when Autumn rolls around get in to swinging some bigger streamers and wets with it.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice looking brown trout.

Christmas day found my wife and I hiking through the snow down into the Rio Grande gorge in search of cutbows. We were heading to that little sliver of light in the distance.

Saw plenty of fish, but they were sitting on redds so we left them alone and just enjoyed the solitude.

The hike out was a *****.

lefty

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Upcoming event at the Anglers' Club of New York.

Quote: The American Museum of Fly Fishing cordially invites you to the Anglers' Club of New York on April 5, 2016 from 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm for an exclusive presentation and viewing of a newly-discovered historical text, the Haslinger Breviary. This is now considered to be the older recorded collection of fly tying patterns, predating earlier discovered works on the subject by at least thirty years. The Breviary is currently owned by Maggs Bros. Ltd. of London, an antiquarian bookseller, and will be visiting the U.S. for just a few days. The fishing tracts in the Breviary are featured in the spring issue of the AMFF's journal, The American Fly Fisher, translated by Professor Richard Hoffman.

I may go just to see the club.

lefty

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sounds interesting! The club is cool but I remember thinking it would be cooler (was about 15 yrs ago) - assume it's same place (around the side & upstairs in Fraunces Tavern). We were invited by a member we only knew through my wife's work. Ran into a friend of my father who owned a section of Nelson's Spring Creek just upstream from Livingston MT (Yellowstone trib) that we had visited a couple times and had a bunch of drinks :cheers: I forget what the presentation was...

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a sucker for this old NY stuff. I lost my mind when I got to go to The Friars Club.

Nelson's Spring Creek would be a cool place to fish. Just discovered that my new pond in the Catskills has bass in it so I might break out the 4wt fibreglass this weekend.

lefty

awhc

Reaction score
Just joining the forum. Avid fly fisher although, typically, haven't gotten out enough in recent years due to kids. I have a place in the Catskills and am eagerly awaiting opening day. Where's your house?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Near Delhi, so UWB and tribs. You?

It's funny, with so much water open year round, opening day is a little anti climatic.

lefty

awhc

Reaction score
We have a wknd place in Tannersville. Typically fish the Schoharie, Esopus, and East Kill. Occasionally make it to the Delaware and out west. Hoping the warm winter will lead to minimal run off. After 15 years of fishing the area, recently read Catskills Rivers by Austin Francis, which was really enjoyable. Did you get our much over the warm winter?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Never fished the Schoharie, but I do fish the Esopus a lot. To get to our place I head to Roscoe and cut up to Downsville and Delhi. But I should try going a little higher on the 87 and cutting across for some new water. This winter I went west and fished the Eastern Sierra and NM.

Little concerned that zero snow pack will seriously screw up the freestones by July, but we will see.

Yes, I have read it. Started reading Ed Van Put's, Trout Fishing in the Catskills last weekend. Good book. When I bought it Ed wasn't around so I had it signed by his mother who wrote, "Doris Van Put (Ed's mom)".

lefty

awhc

Reaction score
Ed Van Put's mom, that's great. Good to know its a worthwhile read. Am chipping away at the Catskill fishing library: Darbee, Van Put, Flick, etc. Fantastic, reasonably priced stuff on ABE ... There are definitely some rogue trout in NM. I hiked into the San Joaquin around Mammoth Lakes in the Sierras one time. A good adventure. Small fish but completely out of the way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics