• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit Issues with Berluti Olga IIIs

rabbimark

Reaction score
just got my first pair of Berlutis, was up in Manhattan last week and stopped in at the store on Madison and 76th. The staff couldn't have possibly been more helpful, but after almost an hour of trying on practically every style last in the store, the closest we could come to a fit was the Olga III model.

I bought a pair in the most stunning black/green/brownish patina and had them put a bit more space into the forefoot, then had to catch a plane back home to Florida (which I missed, but that's another story).

I just got them via FedEx today and am tremendously disappointed in the fit. They're just too tight, still.

Anyone else have this problem with Berluti? I'm normally a box-standard 12D (Church's, Allen Edmonds, etc), a bit smaller in Grenson, and these are 10 1/2s! It was the only size I tried where my heel wasn't slipping horribly.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have 'em stretched. Good for about 1/2 size of length (in your case to an 11) and one letter of width (if they need a little widening). Done by any competent cobbler. Cost about $10 - $15. Routine operation.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have this problem with Berluti?
Doesn`t sound like a problem with Berluti. The problem is you bought the wrong size. In any case, we can`t help you without pictures
laugh.gif

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
Doesn`t sound like a problem with Berluti. The problem is you bought the wrong size. In any case, we can`t help you without pictures
laugh.gif

pervert!
shog[1].gif

cappyg00k

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
Have 'em stretched. Good for about 1/2 size of length (in your case to an 11) and one letter of width (if they need a little widening). Done by any competent cobbler. Cost about $10 - $15. Routine operation.

A couple of notes I found with stretching: 1) You should do it yourself, and 2) it really doesn't work too well. I've gotten my Senes stretched by a cobbler and they really don't look the same anymore. I've realised it better just to buy the stretcher and stretching fluid and do it youself, slowly. The other thing is, I had a pair of Canalis which I did do myself over several months, it really doesn't work. The only thing it really did was for it to loosen up the pinch on the side of my feet but they essentially stayed the same size.

Unfortunately I had to give away my Senes to a friend of mine and wear my Canalis sockless, which makes it almost not tight. Dragon is right, you bought the wrong size most probably, sorry. But I've done the same, three times!!! Cost me $1600 total, although I'm guessing that's what your Berlutis cost.

lutfa

Reaction score
So what is your natural size outside Allen Edmonds. Iam a size 11 and in Berluti OlgaIII I wear a 10 1/2. So if you wear a 12D that shoe is extremely small.

ccffm1

Reaction score
If the shoes were mine I´d also try to stretch them myself. Normally the spray should be applied on the inside and outside. But you´ll have to be sure that it doesn´t affect the patina. Anyway, don´t overdo it. Berluti generally uses rather thin calf on their shoes. Stretching them to much might further reduce their durability.

Charles55

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger

Can you specify? I never heard of stretching the shoes to lenghten it. I have a pair of Berluti's too and nearly the same problem. They fit but a half number more would be perfect! But i can't imagine how someone will lenghten the total length. Hope to get some information from you guys...

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rabbimark
just got my first pair of Berlutis, was up in Manhattan last week and stopped in at the store on Madison and 76th. The staff couldn't have possibly been more helpful, but after almost an hour of trying on practically every style last in the store, the closest we could come to a fit was the Olga III model.

I bought a pair in the most stunning black/green/brownish patina and had them put a bit more space into the forefoot, then had to catch a plane back home to Florida (which I missed, but that's another story).

I just got them via FedEx today and am tremendously disappointed in the fit. They're just too tight, still.

Anyone else have this problem with Berluti? I'm normally a box-standard 12D (Church's, Allen Edmonds, etc), a bit smaller in Grenson, and these are 10 1/2s! It was the only size I tried where my heel wasn't slipping horribly.

Yes I have the Dorian and the fit is horrible and stretching may make it worse. At first my pair was just a little narrow, but due to the flimsy leather they seem to have stretched and they are now the most uncomfortable shoes I have ever worn in my life (needless to say I never wear them).

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, it could be the last just doesn't work for your feet. Second, iff you went up half a size what do you mean your foot slips "horribly"? Many times with shoes with elongated toe boxes, you will have dead space in the front, and when you try shoes on in the sotre, your heel will slip a bit. Horribly to me means the heel is pretty much coming out of the heel cup with almost every step (not neceesarily out of the shoe, but close to the top). But if it's a little loose, I much prefer that than shoes where the heel is completely flush with the heel, but the rest is too tight. When you break in the sole after several wears, it flexes more and conforms to your heel better and you get less/no or unnoticeable slippage.

If your shoes are still returnable, ask Berluti to send you next size up so you can compare at home and mull it over a few hours/days while trying on carpet and not creasing the hell out of them. It's not exact science, but if a shoe is too tight, it's just too tight and not much you can do about it.

Toorman

Reaction score
My Corthay's were a bit tight in the forefoot. They offered to stretch (a bit reluctantly) but suggested I first take them home and wear them around the house (someone advised sliding a pair of dress socks over the shoe to protect the sole) suggesting they would "give" a little bit - which they did and now fit perfectly. Stretching often solves one problem but creates others.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads