First time wearing leather sole dress shoes... am I doing something wrong?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chikkymonkey, Dec 27, 2011.

1. chikkymonkey

chikkymonkey Member

Hi, I need some help.. I haven't read through all this thread, I'm just really disappointed with my shoes and was hoping someone can guide me...

I purchased for the very first time dress shoes (Bruno Magli Maioco) after wearing ecco's for years.. First time wearing leather soles yesterday and when I came home I noticed that I scratched one of the shoes pretty badly... As you can see on the right shoe... what type of treatment can help? Annoying to happen first time wearing $270 shoes...

[​IMG]

Also the bottom of the shoes are scraping, and the black is turning a little white.. Is this normal? Am I not suppose to walk in them outdoors? I was at wedding and walked from car to hall etc... Am I doing something wrong? THANKS

[​IMG]

2. Hadrius

Hadrius Active Member

Black polish/ cream will help make the scratch less visible, and the soles should be doing that. They're meant to, and as long as they don't get too wet you don't need to worry about them.

3. Patek

Patek Senior member

Nope, besides overpaying for those shoes, you are not doing anything wrong. The sole will wear out and form to your feet which will make them much more comfortable. In fact, unlike your Ecco, they will get more not less comfortable with wear.

Leather will scratch. Cordovan is even worse. Try not to scuff the toes, apply shoe cream and polish and wear them in good health. Also, you need to let them rest between wears (which usually requires more than one pair). I sometimes don't follow this rule when traveling, but I always use shoe trees.

4. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Yup. Polish the toe with black shoe polish, and the soles do that. The paint the maker applied to them is scraping off and revealing the leather. The leather will soon be scuffed up and have more grip than it currently does, and the paint put there for no good reason will go away.

And yeah, as long as you don't soak the leather soles (some wetness is okay) or wade through salty slush, you don't have to worry about 'em. And better quality leather soles will even put up with that fairly well.

5. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Just be proud you wear the same shoes as OJ !
    [​IMG]

6. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

How do you carry trees when you travel? Do you get light plastic ones instead?

7. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I use socks.

8. Patek

Patek Senior member

If I'm only traveling with one pair of "shoes" I stuff them in my running shoes as I exercise almost daily. If I am traveling with two pairs of real shoes, I put the trees in the one that is in my bag.

I travel with my real, brass-knobbed trees.

9. Blackunderpants

Blackunderpants Well-Known Member

If you're carrying a pair of shoes in your bag you can just put the trees in those, otherwise you could use a quick solution if it's only for a couple of days. Plastic "trees", socks or whatever. [​IMG]

10. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I would put some tacks on that back of them shoes.....that's just me.

11. lostron

lostron Senior member

For the top of the shoes just make sure not to cuff them on edges

For the soles they will get scratched so I suggest putting half soles (rubber) on the leather soles on all your pairs

12. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

[quote name="chikkymonkey" url="/t/280387/ Am I not suppose to walk in them outdoors? I[/quote]

Friggin hilarious.

13. Stylego

Stylego Senior member

Hard to believe, but they're shoes and they're meant to get worn. Same thing happens to the fellows that spend thousands on their shoes. Take care of them and, over time, they'll just build character.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  14. Patek

Patek Senior member

Do not do what this man said.

15. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

Leather soles get in contact with the floor and will always get scratched. Unless you wanna treat shoes as museum objects there is no way around it. Don't put those rubber pads on your soles as suggested by one member. If you are concerned about them getting worn off to quickly at the tip you can ask a cobbler to add metal toe taps.

Anyway - welcome to the forum.