• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First time wearing leather sole dress shoes... am I doing something wrong?

chikkymonkey

Reaction score
Hi, I need some help.. I haven't read through all this thread, I'm just really disappointed with my shoes and was hoping someone can guide me...

I purchased for the very first time dress shoes (Bruno Magli Maioco) after wearing ecco's for years.. First time wearing leather soles yesterday and when I came home I noticed that I scratched one of the shoes pretty badly... As you can see on the right shoe... what type of treatment can help? Annoying to happen first time wearing $270 shoes...

Also the bottom of the shoes are scraping, and the black is turning a little white.. Is this normal? Am I not suppose to walk in them outdoors? I was at wedding and walked from car to hall etc... Am I doing something wrong? THANKS

Hadrius

Reaction score
Black polish/ cream will help make the scratch less visible, and the soles should be doing that. They're meant to, and as long as they don't get too wet you don't need to worry about them.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope, besides overpaying for those shoes, you are not doing anything wrong. The sole will wear out and form to your feet which will make them much more comfortable. In fact, unlike your Ecco, they will get more not less comfortable with wear.

Leather will scratch. Cordovan is even worse. Try not to scuff the toes, apply shoe cream and polish and wear them in good health. Also, you need to let them rest between wears (which usually requires more than one pair). I sometimes don't follow this rule when traveling, but I always use shoe trees.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup. Polish the toe with black shoe polish, and the soles do that. The paint the maker applied to them is scraping off and revealing the leather. The leather will soon be scuffed up and have more grip than it currently does, and the paint put there for no good reason will go away.

And yeah, as long as you don't soak the leather soles (some wetness is okay) or wade through salty slush, you don't have to worry about 'em. And better quality leather soles will even put up with that fairly well.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nope, besides overpaying for those shoes, you are not doing anything wrong. The sole will wear out and form to your feet which will make them much more comfortable. In fact, unlike your Ecco, they will get more not less comfortable with wear.
Leather will scratch. Cordovan is even worse. Try not to scuff the toes, apply shoe cream and polish and wear them in good health. Also, you need to let them rest between wears (which usually requires more than one pair). I sometimes don't follow this rule when traveling, but I always use shoe trees.

How do you carry trees when you travel? Do you get light plastic ones instead?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I'm only traveling with one pair of "shoes" I stuff them in my running shoes as I exercise almost daily. If I am traveling with two pairs of real shoes, I put the trees in the one that is in my bag.

I travel with my real, brass-knobbed trees.

Blackunderpants

Reaction score

If you're carrying a pair of shoes in your bag you can just put the trees in those, otherwise you could use a quick solution if it's only for a couple of days. Plastic "trees", socks or whatever.
smile.gif

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would put some tacks on that back of them shoes.....that's just me.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[quote name="chikkymonkey" url="/t/280387/ Am I not suppose to walk in them outdoors? I[/quote]

Friggin hilarious.

Stylego

Reaction score

Hi, I need some help.. I haven't read through all this thread, I'm just really disappointed with my shoes and was hoping someone can guide me...

I purchased for the very first time dress shoes (Bruno Magli Maioco) after wearing ecco's for years.. First time wearing leather soles yesterday and when I came home I noticed that I scratched one of the shoes pretty badly... As you can see on the right shoe... what type of treatment can help? Annoying to happen first time wearing $270 shoes...
Also the bottom of the shoes are scraping, and the black is turning a little white.. Is this normal? Am I not suppose to walk in them outdoors? I was at wedding and walked from car to hall etc... Am I doing something wrong? THANKS
Hard to believe, but they're shoes and they're meant to get worn. Same thing happens to the fellows that spend thousands on their shoes. Take care of them and, over time, they'll just build character.

Last edited:

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For the top of the shoes just make sure not to cuff them on edges

For the soles they will get scratched so I suggest putting half soles (rubber) on the leather soles on all your pairs

Do not do what this man said.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leather soles get in contact with the floor and will always get scratched. Unless you wanna treat shoes as museum objects there is no way around it. Don't put those rubber pads on your soles as suggested by one member. If you are concerned about them getting worn off to quickly at the tip you can ask a cobbler to add metal toe taps.

Anyway - welcome to the forum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads