First time wearing leather sole dress shoes... am I doing something wrong?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chikkymonkey, Dec 27, 2011.

1. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Actually, that's my point exactly.

And FWIW...I know that some harness leather is tanned with synthetics that chemically resemble vegetable extracts but I don't know of any leather soling, quality or not, that is.

2. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Yeah i know that was the point you were trying to make. However the other posters cannot see said point because they are thinking of the average mass produced good. Take an H&M suit vs lets say a BB 1818 suit both are mass produced so the damage to the environment is debatable although you can argue that the BB uses pure wool so its less harmful, but compare a H&M suit to a bespoke Steed then its a different story. Same applies to shoes aldo vs bruno magli as opposed to aldo vs vass/john lobb/G&G

3. Xenon

Xenon Senior member

Actually it doesn't matter. Leaving aside true vegetable tanning, let's compare the most ignorant, mindless hell bent chrome tannery to a so-called eco friendly oil refinery. Still no contest- the refinery and its products/byproducts are still far more pollution intensive. There is just no truely friendly way to crack oil under the best conditions(just consider how energy intensive that is alone) and little use for the remaining sludge. Plastics and rubbers also take ages (500 years and on average far more) to decay when discarded, using along the way far more free oxygen to occur.

4. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

I can't believe we are actually discussing the environmental pros and cons of leather and rubber soles as we type away on spurious laptops and iPads powered by lithium ion and made by slave workers. Jesus Christ, talk about selective advocacy.

Are you saying there are other people of "Northern European" descent? That's as silly as this whole leather soles business.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011

5. DWFII

What's so hard to believe?...we do this all the time. About all kinds of things...for better or for worse. We keep the best and discard the rest...that's why leather outsoles are still premium and the word "plastic" (or "rubber outsole") is, after all this time, still interchangeable with "cheap."

Again, we do what we can...some of us. We aren't that far from what E. O. Wilson (?) called the "commons." The idea that we share a communal area, if only metaphorically.

To the extent that some people foul their part of that commons...through indifference or insouciance...everyone suffers. To the extent that an individual tries their best to keep their plot green and flourishing...takes personal responsibility, IOW...we all benefit.

I can't change your behavior (or your mind) nor legislate that you trim the weeds (which are sowing their seeds over on my plot) but perhaps I can induce you to think.

What I can't believe is that "cheap" gets so much press on StyleForum.

6. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

Just to clarify: I never said that I am fundamentally against the use of rubber soles. I just do not think it makes sense to buy a leather soled shoe just to glue a piece of rubber on it. There is a place for rubber soles: Aside from sport and work shoes this includes, for instance, dress shoes for walking in snow and ice (especially when there is salt on the streets). I just would not try to convert a leather sole to a rubber sole and thereby loose part of the advantage of leather without gaining the full benefit of rubber.

I agree that there are practical reasons why leather is often advantageous to rubber (breathability, adjusting to the foot,...). However, I will be honest that the decisive factor why I prefer leather soles is AESTETICS. When sitting in a cafe with one leg crossed over the other, a shoe with a fine leather sole will always outshine a shoe with rubber soles (I know this seems nuts for many people, but I guess that is what they think about this forum in the first place).

7. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Pretty much everything in this thread is wonderful.

OP: great job.

8. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Good point. I love this forum though it goes from "what do i do about a scratch on my shoe" to how to save the environment in a few posts lol.

9. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Yeah and i have yet to see a rubber sole shoe with a nice waist

10. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

DFWII,

Forgive me if this has already been covered in this thread, but does the same reasoning behind not using a topy on a leather soled shoe also apply to buying leather shoes with rubber soles? I had a couple pairs of shoes topy'd (I won't have anymore topy'd after reading your post), but I also have a pair of boots (AE) and a pair of loafers (Grenson) that came with rubber soles. Though it makes for an interesting discussion, I'm not so much interested in the environmental harms of rubber as I am the negatives they might have on the upper of my shoe.

11. DWFII

Maybe moreso for a full rubber outsole. With the Topy you'd still have the integrity of the leather outsole beneath it to preserve the shoe shape and size. Mind you there's a whole slew of factors that influence all of this. For some, none of it matters a bit, compared to price and convenience.

12. Asian Afro

Asian Afro Senior member

Actually, I also get the "clip/clop" from my rubber-soled dress shoes from AE and Barker. All my dress shoes go clip-clop. It's a classy, timeless sound.

13. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

14. Asian Afro

Asian Afro Senior member

Damn, I walk like a farm hand.

My dress shoes don't fit perfectly but they fit better than my thick rubber-soled Rockports, for example, and my Rockports don't make sounds. My rubber-soled AE and Barker (wet-day shoes) clack just as much as all my leather-soled ones. Not noisy, but not silent. Perhaps that is what you mean.

15. Asian Afro

Asian Afro Senior member

I shouldn't have borrowed Reevolving's vocabulary. The sound my shoes make is more like clacking than clip-clop. I'd be surprised if yours don't make the same sound, Vox.