• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First time getting suit alterations, not happy - what are your thoughts?

farazon

Reaction score
This is the first time I treated buying a suit seriously. I researched online how a suit should fit and came upon the frequent advice that off-the-rack suits generally need to be altered to look best. After trying on suits at several retailers, most of which were too wide in the shoulders, I found what I think is a pretty nice suit: Montague burton 100% wool indigo textured suit

From what I read, I instantly saw that the sleeves and trousers needed shortening. I went to a local alterations shop, Stitch Express, and asked them to do this for me, as well as advise me to any other alterations they feel it would need to look best. The lady helping me agreed about the sleeves and trousers. She pointed out that as a result of the shortening, one of the buttons would have to be moved up above the present top button.

I was in a massive rush the day I had to pick up the suit, so I had no time to try it on before paying and leaving (not that it was suggested in the shop that I do so). Upon trying it on later, trousers were fine, but the jacket looked like this:

The things I note are:
  1. They have obviously not re-sewn the button up above the others as promised. And in this case, I would have expected them to return the removed buttons. I checked all the pockets, nope, it seems that they kept them - or more likely, threw them away.
  2. The sleeves are still far too long. 1/2 inch of cuff should be shown when the arms are in a relaxed position, am I right?
  3. The buttons look plain bad to me that close to the edge of the sleeve. The proportions are off. They would look right if the second button were also (re)moved upwards.
  4. Also, it looks to me that the waist could use bringing in on this jacket as well. It didn't seem like it when I looked at the mirror, I only spotted this after taking these photos. I have five fingers worth of room between the suit and my stomach with the top button buttoned. I have a feeling that this is too much...

What do you guys think about this? And should I be asking the shop to further shorten the sleeves - or inquiring about a refund and then having the work done somewhere else? For reference, I paid £18 for the jacket sleeves and £10 for the trousers. Did I just expect too much for what they charged me? Could anyone recommend a better place to have alterations done in the Leeds, UK area?

Thank you all.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sleeves could be shortened a bit more but its ok the way it is now. The buttons on the sleeve has to be moved up. the waist on the coat should be taken in.

I leave what you want to do regarding request and refund up to you as I am unfamiliar with the custom in the UK. I would ask for the work to be redone if in the US.

farazon

Reaction score
I, too, am unfamiliar with the custom since it is my first alteration. However, the fact that I was promised the buttons would be moved up only to discover afterwards that they were discarded undermines my faith in this shop's professionalism. Then again, maybe I expect too much. And this is why I'm asking on this forum. I won't have the chance to take the suit in until the weekend anyhow due to my work schedule conflicting with the shop hours. I might as well try and get a second opinion in the meantime.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I, too, am unfamiliar with the custom since it is my first alteration. However, the fact that I was promised the buttons would be moved up only to discover afterwards that they were discarded undermines my faith in this shop's professionalism. Then again, maybe I expect too much. And this is why I'm asking on this forum. I won't have the chance to take the suit in until the weekend anyhow due to my work schedule conflicting with the shop hours. I might as well try and get a second opinion in the meantime.
Moving this to "Menswear advice", where you may get more advice - pardon the redundancy.

Cheers,

Fok.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. I would be very wary of a tailor which chooses to call itself "Stitch Express".
This name flies in the face of the pretension to use such terms as "artisanal", " craftsmanship"
"traditional" which denote quality,etc. Apparently your tailor makes no such
claims, as the results have proven.

2. One of the best ways to find an excellent alterations tailor is to enquire at the best mens shopI(s)
in your area who these shops use for special projects. Often retailers rely on outside tailors for more
challenging alterations. Or in some cases their own in house experts are permitted to take
"outside" work.

Randy Brooks

Reaction score
Honestly, for work this simple to be done improperly is inexcusable. I'd try for a refund (don't expect much) and have someone more professional do the work. Live and learn, take finding a tailor just as seriously as buying your suit. It's just as important IMO.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Arnobuyens

Reaction score
I Wouldn't go back to have them redo it, it looks very poorly done. I second the strategy of asking menswear stores if they know a good tailor.

farazon

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice! I'm kicking myself now for not asking the shop where I bought the suit from for a recommendation. It seems so logical now, but the instinct to look things up online was too strong. I had the tailor zeroed in before I ever set foot outside...

1. I would be very wary of a tailor which chooses to call itself "Stitch Express".
This name flies in the face of the pretension to use such terms as "artisanal", " craftsmanship"
"traditional" which denote quality,etc. Apparently your tailor makes no such
claims, as the results have proven.
Live and learn, take finding a tailor just as seriously as buying your suit. It's just as important IMO.

Live and learn, certainly... I never even gave a second thought to whether the tailor - well, alterations shop, they don't do any tailoring of their own (maybe that's another thing to note?) - were good or not. I blindly assumed they would be adequate for a basic adjustment like shortening of sleeves.

I will be going back this weekend aiming to get a refund - and just maybe, getting my buttons back. Wish me luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads