• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First suit purchase please read

exphysresearch

Reaction score
I'm a new member and just wanted to thank everyone who has made this site a valuable resource.

I am a former athlete, 6'8" 275 pounds. I am looking for my first suit purchases as I will be preparing a wardrobe for my new profession as I graduate this week and will be going on my final interview phase for a med sales job the following week.

I need 1-2 suits and have never purchased one before. I want a quality suit and would not mind purchasing my first suits from a store like Joseph A Banks except for recent uncomfortable experiences there. Recently I went in to get a look at what they had for suits that fit and 3 sales people ended up fighting over my attention so obviously that my girlfriend and I left because it was so awkward. I left without any impression on their quality because I was so uncomfortable. I know they run sales over and over and have the feeling that I would not really know what I was buying because their prices fluctuate so much.

My sizes are 46 extra long in coat, 38 or 40 depending on brand waist pants tailored to about 36.5" (I need the leg room).
Shirt sizes are 17.5 neck 36/37 sleeve tall.

I want a nice plain navy and a charcoal gray color due to flexibility and a "modern" fitted look.

I have $1000 for suits and probably another $500 for alterations/a couple shirts and ties/burgundy brown shoes to go with navy suit (I already have great black shoes, brown shoes, several dress shirts, belts, socks). I would love to buy at Brooks Brothers (I have a couple of shirts and love them) but at this point I need find that perfect blend of quality and affordability and something that fits my frame.

Can you guys please bare with my naivety. I know this is a common question. I need somewhere with a good tall section and good "modern" fit clothing that is made of quality.

thanks so much

Simplex

Reaction score
You can try suitsupply (starting $439), they have several different cuts to suit your needs. They also have the MTM program, starting with the Blue line ($599 and up) which feels more like MTO with your choice of fabrics. The Blue line only does minor alterations (waist, seat, sleeves etc.), so it's pretty much like getting an OTR suit with tailoring added in.

If you're willing to spend a little more, you can go MTM with someone like Kent Wang (forum affiliate). Fabrics start at $750 but you will most likely not need any alterations afterwards.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh, no, Suit Supply would fit much too slim, and cheap MTM on a very muscular frame is a recipe for disaster. You might be able to find something that size from Ralph Lauren at a Big & Tall store. Unfortunately, there are few quality RTW options in that size and price range. Jos A. Bank Signature Gold might be the easiest safe option. Pants would need lots of tailoring at the waist, unless suit separates are available. Don't buy more than one suit at a time, and don't buy a double-breasted suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads