• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Panama Hat

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, what originally brought me to SF was a google link while looking into buying a panama hat. I finally ordered on, from panamahatsdirect.com, and it arrived a few days ago. I included a few pics of the hat, and my mug sporting it. I had a hard time figuring out how wide to go with the brim. I went with 3.3-3.5 inches, which is a bit bigger. It is their Plantation model. The addition of the extra inch or so to the brim cost a bit more. I went ahead and ordered it with the "decorative hat box" which is just cheap balsa wood that I figured would keep it safe during shipment. All in all, the hat seems like a decent value. The fit is accurate, it is very lightweight.I went with their finest size, fino fino, but the weave seems a bit coarser than the pictures illustrate on his website. I took a close-up shot with a quarter for comparison, and I wish the maker would do the same so people know what they are getting. They are mailing me another blue silk hat band, since they sent me the black one instead by mistake. The guy who owns the business is good at communicating via email, and kept me up to date with it's progress. It came within about 15-20 days of me placing my order right before Christmas. Apparently, the weave takes on shape with only a bit of water from a spray bottle, and pressure. There are a few areas that I want to tweak. The indentation on the left side isn't exactly the same as the right, but it doesn't show much. I will likely end up buying a regular fedora, or panama style in the future. Being 6'3" and large framed, I went with the suggestion of going with a wider brim. So these photos are up so that I can get some feedback as to the fit and appearance. My main concern is that it might appear too wide.I was going to blur my face out, but I figured it was pointless to take close-up photos if I was going to do that. So here they are.
DSCF1747-1.jpg
DSCF1755.jpg
DSCF1757.jpg
DSCF1758.jpg

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great hat! Wear it cocked to one side and not in winter unless in the tropics.

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chips
I'll be wearing it for Carnival in Rio next month!

Perfect! Great box that you get with it too!

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one of their hats and love it. Great deal for the money, I had mine re-blocked up here. I got the superfino and was pleased with the weave. If you put a measuring tape agaiinst the hat it would be easier to judge the weaves per inch.

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Complete the look.

26072.jpg

If you wear this to Rio they will think all Americans are like that....although that really wouldn't be too far off unfortunately.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
I have one of their hats and love it. Great deal for the money, I had mine re-blocked up here. I got the superfino and was pleased with the weave. If you put a measuring tape agaiinst the hat it would be easier to judge the weaves per inch.

I'll measure it, and post it here. Will you mind telling me what your superfino measures per inch? PM me if you like. Thank you.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chips
I'll measure it, and post it here. Will you mind telling me what your superfino measures per inch? PM me if you like. Thank you.
Off the top of my head (pun intended), it's about 500 wpi. Your photo does look similar to the weave on mine.

Tardek

Reaction score
What is the difference between a panama hat and a fedora? Enquiring minds want to know!

Classically

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tardek
What is the difference between a panama hat and a fedora? Enquiring minds want to know!

A panama hat is made from toquilla palm.You normally wear it during hot, sunny weather in the spring/summer (Watch Casablanca or any movie that takes place in Africa/South America/Any country that has yet to conquer Malaria or Yellow Fever.). While a fedora is made from fur felt (beaver or rabbit. More commonly rabbit.) and can be worn year round regardless of weather. Although, people prefer to wear it during the fall/winter season and early spring.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good. To judge how the width really works I'd need a full length shot, but if you're 6'3" I'd guess it looks right.

Tardek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Classically
A panama hat is made from toquilla palm.You normally wear it during hot, sunny weather in the spring/summer (Watch Casablanca or any movie that takes place in Africa/South America/Any country that has yet to conquer Malaria or Yellow Fever.). While a fedora is made from fur felt (beaver or rabbit. More commonly rabbit.) and can be worn year round regardless of weather. Although, people prefer to wear it during the fall/winter season and early spring.

Ah, cheers.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to measure mine and see, cause it looks a lot more like a superfino, instead of the fino fino. I paid more for the fino fino, and I'm suspecting I was sent a lesser grade.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics