• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Overcoat

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just think of it as a more casual coat. It's also made from a somewhat stiff Melton wool (at least the version that lands in the US). I mostly wear it over heavy sweaters and with casual items.

Mine is actually navy. I wear it with cream colored sweaters, and then basically any pant -- blue jeans, grey trousers, tan chinos, tan whipcords, etc.

Thanks. Would you have a color preference if choosing one of navy, mid gray, or beige for a single winter coat? Work is usually a sportcoat and trousers, often more country colors but some navy jackets, and suits in court. Casual side is light wash, black, or occasional indigo denim, olive cargos, etc.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks. Would you have a color preference if choosing one of navy, mid gray, or beige for a single winter coat? Work is usually a sportcoat and trousers, often more country colors but some navy jackets, and suits in court. Casual side is light wash, black, or occasional indigo denim, olive cargos, etc.

For the stuff you outlined, I would only wear it with the casual items. So again, not suits or sport coats. So with odd trousers, light wash denim, blue denim, and olive cargos, I would do the navy coat.

For black denim, I think I would do a grey coat for a more tonal look.

Of the three overcoat colors, I think navy is the "smartest." Not sure if that's the right word -- I don't necessarily mean dressy. But to take an example, a duffle coat looks a bit smarter in navy than beige

navy-gloverall-duffle-coat.jpg
how-to-wear-a-duffle-coat.jpg
DSC_0245_cropped_1400x.jpg

I don't wear my navy KS traveler coat with black jeans, but I basically wear it with everything else. I think of it as almost a "dumb coat," meaning it's impossible to get wrong.

For pants, you can do: grey trousers, tan chinos, blue jeans, taupe whipcords (as mentioned).

Up top, I think you need some kind of heavy knit, as the material itself is kind of heavy and you need some visual balance. But that basically can be: chunky cream sweater, grey sweatshirt, black knitwear, etc.

Shoes can be basically anything except oxfords: brown field boots, black boots, round toe derbies, white sneakers, etc.

I think all three KS colors available are good. I would just not choose the beige version if I was planning to wear this with tan chinos (beige on beige might be a bit much). Otherwise, I think all of these colors work, tbh. They're pretty staple colors for outerwear.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
This is a vintage navy blue Givenchy from the late 1990s. I think I will ask my tailor to take in the shoulders and shorten it by 3 inches.

GVE35939_1_enlarged.jpg

OysteinK

Reaction score
I have several coats, so I'll weigh in with an opinion on each of them with my own experience:

1. UBR Storm Coat
ubr.jpg

Probably the most versatile and practical. Waterproof and warm. With detachable liner it works from -20 to + 10 C. Cons - one of the most seen coats on business class flights - so a bit boring old fart. Synthetics are inhernently uncool.

2. APC Camel Coat

apc.jpg

Love this. Thought it might be a bit too much #menswear, but it really goes with almost everything. Gets tons of milage, and lots of compliments. Nice contrast to darker colours you might wear during the winter. Might be my choice for the one overcoat, but bear in mind its a bit bold, which might or might not work for you.

3. Burberry trench

burberry.jpg

Its just too much. Odd, and very expensive. Think of the Barracuta G4, and that you are not Steve McQueen. But if you do get a trench, get this or Aquascutum. You will regret getting cheaper versions (but dont buy either). Spend your money elsewere.

4. Long peacoat/bridge coat
harris.jpg

Ok. So I said that Barracuta G4 does not make you look like Steve McQueen. However, the bridgecoat makes you look as a WW2 commander looking out for submarines (especially with a white submariner sweater underneath) on the deck of a destroyer. It also makes you look a bit like Daniel Craig. Which might be good or not. Its really nice to wear in the cold (with the collar), and gets tons of compliments. Its a statement piece, but one that most of us can pull of.

5. Loro Piana fabric storm system dark grey herringbone coat

I dont have pictures of this. But its probably the most safe choice. Dark grey goes with everything, and the storm system keeps you dry at least for a couple of hours in rain or snow.

Attachments

• apc.jpg
    apc.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 14
  • harris.jpg
    harris.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 836

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads