• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Overcoat

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would recommend looking up eBay for this budget. Just get your measurements and how you'd like your coat to fit. Overcoats are pretty classic and I've always felt that for the price, vintage pieces are unbeatable. Some of my collection include a navy single breased polo coat with 80% wool, 10% vincuna (!) 10% nylon blend. It's immaculately tailored. I think I paid $120 for it. More recently I found a vintage Brooks Brothers overcoat with a real beaver fur collar and I think I paid around $150 for it. Bespoke quality for Zara prices.

case in point, this camel hair polo coat for $50! If only I was 7 inches taller! hopefully someone here is that's in the market and has the frame to pull it off snaps it up quick!

corpseposeur

Reaction score
case in point, this camel hair polo coat for $50! If only I was 7 inches taller! hopefully someone here is that's in the market and has the frame to pull it off snaps it up quick!

In addition to the finds from above, I grabbed this NOS 100% camelhair Malcolm Kenneth polo coat for $150. It's in like new condition with no fraying or mothholes. It's also my preferred shade of camelhair, more beige than yellow/tan.

Attachments

• camelhair-malcolm-kenneth.jpg
    camelhair-malcolm-kenneth.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 85

Mirage-

Reaction score
I would recommend looking up eBay for this budget. Just get your measurements and how you'd like your coat to fit. Overcoats are pretty classic and I've always felt that for the price, vintage pieces are unbeatable. Some of my collection include a navy single breased polo coat with 80% wool, 10% vincuna (!) 10% nylon blend. It's immaculately tailored. I think I paid $120 for it. More recently I found a vintage Brooks Brothers overcoat with a real beaver fur collar and I think I paid around $150 for it. Bespoke quality for Zara prices.

I don't think this can easily be done for your first overcoat, how are you going to get measurements without already owning one that fits well? Unless you happen to have a friend/relative who has an overcoat that fits you well...
Indeed, I was in this situation with my first one, ended up going to a BB outlet.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
In addition to the finds from above, I grabbed this NOS 100% camelhair Malcolm Kenneth polo coat for $150. It's in like new condition with no fraying or mothholes. It's also my preferred shade of camelhair, more beige than yellow/tan.

Nice coat. But too far afield from the original polos to be in the running.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score

corpseposeur

Reaction score
Nice coat. But too far afield from the original polos to be in the running.

I see, my understanding was that camelhair polo coats came in different configurations over the years; double and single breasted, with or without belt. I'm sure you and others here are the experts on this, so I defer to your experience.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
I see, my understanding was that camelhair polo coats came in different configurations over the years; double and single breasted, with or without belt. I'm sure you and others here are the experts on this, so I defer to your experience.
They have evolved. Some. Few now have the wrap-around, no-buckle belt. Peak lapels can be exchanged for an ulster collar. But they really always have to be double breasted, longer than yours and with a breast pocket. Yours is closer to a covert coat. With bigger pockets.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had to have made only one overcoat it will be like this one but in navy:

ULSTER COAT - ALÓ.jpg

It's an Ulster type of coat but with a formal pocket configuration and with a "doppio uso" collar (stand up collar) looks almost like a simple peak lapel when not up. Maybe half belt on the back but in this case without buttons.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had to have made only one overcoat it will be like this one but in navy:

View attachment 1547473

It's an Ulster type of coat but with a formal pocket configuration and with a "doppio uso" collar (stand up collar) looks almost like a simple peak lapel when not up. Maybe half belt on the back but in this case without buttons.

I get so confused with overcoat types - what is the difference between this Ulster above, a 'typical' DB overcoat, and a Guards Coat? are they all effectively one in the same?

Neverminded, found this breakdown: https://putthison.com/four-favorite-overcoats-a-classic-mens-overcoat/

at first glance, I just would have assumed that this a peak collar from a tailor whose style was 'flatter' than the norm

Last edited:

corpseposeur

Reaction score
I'm pretty pleased with this purchase from Liverano. This is their RTW Doppiosa DB Ulster style. I had wanted a Ulster coat in an interesting dark blue fabric that wasn't navy for some time. I imagined that I'd probably have to get something like that made bespoke or MTM. But I think this one is pretty close to what I had in mind. This particular one is a fuzzy 20 oz wool/alpaca/mohair blend from VBC. It's cut broad in the chest with extended shoulders so it's easy to wear over a jacket. It also uses a very soft tailored canvas. I love that the fabric and style relaxes a more dressed up look and it elevates a more casual look--which is what I think Liverano tends to go for in their style. As a dog owner, I like that the fabric seems to just absorb any stray hairs. As you can see the arms are maybe a half inch too long and I'll have to get that adjusted at some point. I'm happy that I have a pretty substantive collection of mostly vintage coats but if I were to have just one overcoat, it would be this one.

liverano-db-coat.jpg

Last edited:

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
I'm pretty pleased with this purchase from Liverano.

View attachment 1547601
You should be, that's one swell coat. Wouldn't worry about a too-long sleeve in a coat meant for wooly weather. The ability to pop the collar while the lapels stay flat is a function of a very deep gorge, had no idea it had a fancy smancy name til you and @aristoi bcn tagged it. I live, I learn.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For your second overcoat I suggest an Inverness Cape

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dieworkwear Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I'm contemplating jumping on the NMWA Kaptain Sunshine Traveler Coat preorder (it would be my only overcoat) in part because you've extolled its virtues as a versatile piece on your blog. I'm curious then why you posted here you wouldn't wear it w/ a sportcoat? The navy color you own seems particularly suited to that vs. the smoky green or brown makeups, and in fact I actually have a harder time seeing how it goes w/ most casualwear.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I'm contemplating jumping on the NMWA Kaptain Sunshine Traveler Coat preorder (it would be my only overcoat) in part because you've extolled its virtues as a versatile piece on your blog. I'm curious then why you posted here you wouldn't wear it w/ a sportcoat? The navy color you own seems particularly suited to that vs. the smoky green or brown makeups, and in fact I actually have a harder time seeing how it goes w/ most casualwear.

I just think of it as a more casual coat. It's also made from a somewhat stiff Melton wool (at least the version that lands in the US). I mostly wear it over heavy sweaters and with casual items.

Mine is actually navy. I wear it with cream colored sweaters, and then basically any pant -- blue jeans, grey trousers, tan chinos, tan whipcords, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads