• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First go at a suit in a long time. Help me critique what I got.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ferguscan
Just pull the damn trousers up
smile.gif
High-rise trousers give the impression of a shorter torso and a longer leg-line. This is a good thing on almost all men. Embrace it.

Stuart

Well said
worship.gif

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aspproff
I tend to wear all pants low on my waist, and it feels strange to have them creeping up, and looks like my grandpa. I noticed it seemed too baggy in the crotch. I don't suppose there is such a thing as low-rise trousers, but can a tailor take in some of that baggage? Also the pants are a 34W, which blew me away because I've never worn >32. The 32 couldnt close by at least an inch. I thought I was getting fat and apparently the suit is too big. It's actually a "slim" line.
1) Where is the suit from? 2) You SHOULD NOT wear your suit trousers that low. If you do, you will look like a fool. Wear them properly at your waist. I don't care if you wear all your other pants low on your hips - don't do this with your suit trousers. 3) The pants are a 34 because you're wearing them too low. If you wore them properly, they'd probably be a 32. 4)
Originally Posted by ferguscan
Just pull the damn trousers up
smile.gif
High-rise trousers give the impression of a shorter torso and a longer leg-line. This is a good thing on almost all men. Embrace it. Stuart

Originally Posted by Sartrolliast
You want a fit approaching this, if you can afford it. It's called "drape":
DSC_0232.jpg

How anyone but the OP took this seriously is beyond me.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmf895
He was being sarcastic. This picture was recently posted in another "critique my suit" thread.
OIC - funny response when responding to a recent member's feedback request. I can see why he's banned.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks to be a size too big. Take it back and try again.

The pockets are hacking pockets and are correct if you must have that style for a semi formal suit.

aspproff

Reaction score
Ok, full disclosure, people asked who made the suit. I wanted to get opinions on the fit before the obligitory crapping on this. I grabbed the suit from the outlet mall for about $200, it's Kenneth Cole Reaction, slim-fit. Polyester-rayon blend. I've been reading here about polyester doesn't sound like it will work with my environment (I live in the southeast, where more often than not it's hot and humid). People also don't seem to like KC so I wanted to hold off on having that bias people.

That said, it sounds from other threads like wool is the way to go, and I was actually trying to go for slim, tho it seems I missed.

On fit, the consensus seems to be that
A) I need to pull up my pants and deal with it feeling weird. For the record, I'm not showing coinslot or anything.
B) Either a smaller jacket or get the torso tailored.

And I don't think I'm a big fan of the hacking pockets... didn't notice they were "different" until I took the pictures. Just some things a mirror doesn't convey I guess.

Maybe I'll try the Brooks Brothers outlet? or the Lands End tailored suits? I'd like to not go to $500 on this one.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aspproff
Ok, full disclosure, people asked who made the suit. I wanted to get opinions on the fit before the obligitory crapping on this. I grabbed the suit from the outlet mall for about $200, it's Kenneth Cole Reaction, slim-fit. Polyester-rayon blend. I've been reading here about polyester doesn't sound like it will work with my environment (I live in the southeast, where more often than not it's hot and humid). People also don't seem to like KC so I wanted to hold off on having that bias people.

That said, it sounds from other threads like wool is the way to go, and I was actually trying to go for slim, tho it seems I missed.

On fit, the consensus seems to be that
A) I need to pull up my pants and deal with it feeling weird. For the record, I'm not showing coinslot or anything.
B) Either a smaller jacket or get the torso tailored.

And I don't think I'm a big fan of the hacking pockets... didn't notice they were "different" until I took the pictures. Just some things a mirror doesn't convey I guess.

Maybe I'll try the Brooks Brothers outlet? or the Lands End tailored suits? I'd like to not go to $500 on this one.

Hacking pockets were originally meant for suits that would be worn for riding horses. They're not standard.

Try JCrew, H&M, Club Monaco or Banana Republic as well. You may find a wool suit well within your price range.

wysiwyg

Reaction score
I think you could get a much better suit for $200, but you may have to wait for sales. A LE tailored suit costs $240 right now, but they oftentimes (once a month or so, in my experience) have 25% + FS sales. Also if you're a student, J Crew will hack off 15%.

A note about the hacking pockets: they're more of an affectation, something extra, like a ticket pocket. Because of its history, some people think they're more appropriate on casual jackets and for informal situations.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlenaCorwi