First go at a suit in a long time. Help me critique what I got.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by aspproff, Mar 2, 2010.

1. aspproff

aspproff New Member

Recently picked up this suit, no tailoring done yet, tags still on. It's for the obligatory weddings, and for interviews/shadowing/touring professional schools. Not for work. I'm trying to determine if it fits me properly, and what lessons to draw. The goods are attached to the post.

Ignore the shirt & shoes. How is the fit of the suit? Pants will obviously be hemmed. The side pockets of the jacket seem at an odd angle to me. Should they be parallel to the ground?

For scale, I'm 5'10" 160lb, 40R.

Appreciate the feedback, I'm ready to learn.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

First thing which you can fix immediately is your posture. Stand up straight with your shoulders back and it will make a world of difference. You'll appear taller and more confident and will make it easier to critique the jacket as we can see its true fit.

3. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Looks a bit too big, Hard to judge in the pics.

Those are called "hacking" pockets.

4. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

The pockets are meant to be that way - hacking pockets is the term.

Your pants should be pulled up higher, IMO. You look like MC Hammer with the pants that low.

5. tcnjbanker123

tcnjbanker123 Senior member

You pants should be pulled up higher, IMO. You look like MC Hammer with the pants that low.

Ha agreed, it does look on the big side, the way you are wearing it plus the hacking pockets make it look a bit dumpy...

6. IBJanky

IBJanky Senior member

Suit is too big for you.

myke

7. aspproff

aspproff New Member

Thanks for the fast feedback. Regarding the size-- I know that shirt has sleeves that are too long, which may contribute to the "oversized look", but I think a 38R jacket usually has sleeves that are too short. Is that what they make 38L for?

I tend to wear all pants low on my waist, and it feels strange to have them creeping up, and looks like my grandpa. I noticed it seemed too baggy in the crotch. I don't suppose there is such a thing as low-rise trousers, but can a tailor take in some of that baggage?

Also the pants are a 34W, which blew me away because I've never worn >32. The 32 couldnt close by at least an inch. I thought I was getting fat and apparently the suit is too big. It's actually a "slim" line.

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Thanks for the fast feedback. Regarding the size-- I know that shirt has sleeves that are too long, which may contribute to the "oversized look", but I think a 38R jacket usually has sleeves that are too short. Is that what they make 38L for?

I tend to wear all pants low on my waist, and it feels strange to have them creeping up, and looks like my grandpa. I noticed it seemed too baggy in the crotch. I don't suppose there is such a thing as low-rise trousers, but can a tailor take in some of that baggage?

Also the pants are a 34W, which blew me away because I've never worn >32. The 32 couldnt close by at least an inch. I thought I was getting fat and apparently the suit is too big.

A slimmer fitting suit would look much better, IMO.

9. yirayira

yirayira Well-Known Member

I tend to wear all pants low on my waist, and it feels strange to have them creeping up, and looks like my grandpa.
    Do not do this, or it will look like you are having a trouser malfunction.

10. aspproff

aspproff New Member

Do not do this, or it will look like you are having a trouser malfunction.

The proportions look strange to me if I jack my pants up; my torso looks short. I don't know if some of the MC Hammer effect is because the trousers are way too long and need to be hemmed. As I said, a 34 is usually quite large for me.

11. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

Suit is not too big or too long. You just need to pull your pants up, get them hemmed and the rest of the suit tailored and it will look good. If you get a smaller size, you may run into divots and pulls and torquing (long story). Fuller fitting RTW is more forgiving, and this does not look bad.

12. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

The proportions look strange to me if I jack my pants up; my torso looks short. I don't know if some of the MC Hammer effect is because the trousers are way too long and need to be hemmed. As I said, a 34 is usually quite large for me.

Pull your pants up. Your nuts should shiver on the crotch seam.

13. Sartrolliast

Sartrolliast Well-Known Member

You want a fit approaching this, if you can afford it. It's called "drape":

[​IMG]

14. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Senior member

The pockets are meant to be that way - hacking pockets is the term. You pants should be pulled up higher, IMO. You look like MC Hammer with the pants that low.
    +another Your sleeves are a tad shorter than I would like, your showing a lot of cuff. The jacket might be a little short too, but I wouldn't worry about that. Those are all personal preference, I doubt anyone would care/notice in the real world. And it looks very baggy. You may be a candidate for MTM suits. Took another look, looks like the shoulders might be too big too. Size down one size and retake the pictures. Without the weird poses.

15. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

You want a fit approaching this, if you can afford it. It's called "drape":

[​IMG]

What part of this fit should he be approaching exactly?