• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Bespoke Jacket--Critique Please

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to GShen's tailor in Singapore to have some trousers copied, and ended up ordering an unlined linen blazersuit (TM used without permission) because I've been frustrated in my attempts to find a suitable (no pun intended) OTR blazer. Chris, please pardon the infidelity. Here are the pictures from the first fitting, for the jacket only:
IMG_3242.jpg
IMG_3243.jpg
IMG_3244.jpg
The quarters and lapels are obviously unfinished. The quarters will be opened a bit as they're rounded. The gorge on the lapel will be roughly where it currently peaks. The tailor already suggested the following changes: 1) Adding a little room in the chest as it appears to pull 2) Removing excess fabric from the back In addition, I made the following requests: 1) Trim the lapels by .25" 2) Raise the chest pocket by 1 cm 3) Raise the roll so that it begins halfway between the middle and top button (3 roll 2.5) instead of immediately above the middle button Any other suggestions?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't see what is pulling in the chest.
Make lapels wider .25 not narrow.
Pockets look oversized. Big pockets, small lapels won't jive.
Balance and fit look good.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, were you fitted by Nani? She's quite a character, no?
smile.gif

All IMO:

1. Leave the lapels just the way they are. I think they look great 'as is'.
2. Remember to leave a little 'allowance' for wrinkles in the linen when determining sleeve length - i.e. leave them a tiny little bit longer, because as the day goes on and you move about the wrinkles around your elbow will cause the sleeve to 'shorten' a wee bit.
3. The chest pocket looks a tiny bit big to my eyes.

PS: details on the cloth please!
smile.gif

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
I don't see what is pulling in the chest.
That's because she buttoned it without any overlap. With the required overlap, it pulls.

Make lapels wider .25 not narrow.
Pockets look oversized. Big pockets, small lapels won't jive.

OK. I can shrink the pockets, too. My reasoning was that it is wide relative to my face.

Balance and fit look good.

Thanks.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Ah, were you fitted by Nani? She's quite a character, no?
smile.gif

All IMO:

1. Leave the lapels just the way they are. I think they look great 'as is'.
2. Remember to leave a little 'allowance' for wrinkles in the linen when determining sleeve length - i.e. leave them a tiny little bit longer, because as the day goes on and you move about the wrinkles around your elbow will cause the sleeve to 'shorten' a wee bit.
3. The chest pocket looks a tiny bit big to my eyes.

PS: details on the cloth please!
smile.gif

Yes, Nani and her partner, both. She is indeed a character, but I like her quite a bit--she's done a good job on my alterations so far.

Do you think the sleeves are too short? I think they are just right/on the long side, so will leave as is unless you suggest otherwise.

Fabric is their in-house, basic offering. They told me the mill, but I didn't recognize it. If you'd like, I'll ask again.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
The "quarters" look really square. Maybe it's just because of the fitting, but it looks off to me.

Perhaps they haven't yet cut the quarters. In my experience, quarters are cut until after the first fitting.

The jacket seems a bit short, but perhaps that is your style.

Overall, the jacket looks great and fits pretty well. Sleeve pitch, back, waist, lapels seem to all check out.

May I ask if this jacket is canvassed or not? The black material on the lapel looks awfully like fusible material.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quarters have not yet been cut. Jacket is canvassed--no fusing.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaxixi
Do you think the sleeves are too short? I think they are just right/on the long side, so will leave as is unless you suggest otherwise.

Fabric is their in-house, basic offering. They told me the mill, but I didn't recognize it. If you'd like, I'll ask again.

The sleeves look fine as is. The wrinkles 'shortening' the sleeve are just something to consider.
smile.gif

That would be much appreciated, but please do not go out of your way to ask for the material make.
smile.gif
I'm curious because it looks a little more substantial than the linen jackets you usually see on this site.
Originally Posted by chorse123
The "quarters" look really square. Maybe it's just because of the fitting, but it looks off to me.
He's mentioned in the OP that the quarters have not been 'rounded off' yet.
Originally Posted by benjamin831
May I ask if this jacket is canvassed or not? The black material on the lapel looks awfully like fusible material.
FWIW, wool canvas comes in many colours - from red to black to cream to grey.

http://www.theliningcompany.co.uk/ca...oducts_id=1191

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know you want a trendy short cut, but that looks too short for you. And not just because it is trendy, but because it makes the hip flare look odd. If they can't slim the hips down for you, then I suggest you really think about lengthening the coat. Not only will that help control the flare, but I think the flare will look better as it is.

But overall, they did a nice job and I blame you for the major flaw
smile.gif

Montauk

Reaction score
The only thing I'd really recommend doing is lowering the gorge a bit. It's a bit extreme as is, which will date the jacket quickly. Bespoke shouldn't be ever be too trendy.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At this point, I'll echo a few of the points others have brought up, but they bear repeating: (1) the jacket is too short, even by SF standards and (2) don't narrow the lapels.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree with Dopey and Despos: it looks too short and the lapels could stand to be wider. Personally, I'd like to see a slightly lower gorge. With the jacket length already on the short side, a super-high gorge enhances the impression that the whole jacket is being pulled up and off of you from behind.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacket too short. Gorge too high. Need to learn fundamentals.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads