• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finally Took the Plunge

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Joined a new gym the other day.

I just got finished with the second of two personal training sessions. ****** is kicked.

I'm now 6 foot 240, which is ******* brutal. Had been using a normal gym and working pretty much on my own but had gotten away from that in the last year. So I decided I needed some instruction and a change of pace with someone to kick ****** a bit.
Plan on getting down to 200 even within a year.

Gym is pretty cool, just a big warehouse with rubber on the floor, plates and racks, lots of kettle bells and barbells and a small cardio area. They also have a bunch of pull up stations of various heights with straps of various lengths, rings hanging from the roof, some trapeze looking things, medicine balls, jump boxes, big ass ropes and that's about it.
Some crap to pull around in the parking lot too.

Has several kettle bell classes, offers coaching for barbell and Olympic lifting, spinning, yoga/stretch classes, and several group classes.

It feels good to be back in the gym. I'm paying for three months out the gate so we'll see where I'm at then.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
good luck. watch pumping iron too

alexanduh

Reaction score
pics or it didnt happen.

jokes. good on ya.

harpsers

Reaction score
Same stats exactly and started with a trainer ~4 months ago. Down to 207 with 4 inches gone from the waist. Good luck bro.

Bartolo

Reaction score
If you can afford it, working with a personal trainer is really great. Mine motivates me to get way more out of me than I'd do on my own.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always found it was highly motivating if I wrote down in a journal everything I ate for 3 weeks and took weight and measurements weekly.

Good Luck!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
good luck.

a little piece of esoteric advice - learn to use a kettlebell, even for a couple of simple moves. get a kettlebell, something that stretches you. keep it at home. if, for any reason, you don't get to the gym on a day that you are scheduled to, do 100 one arm snatch and presses with your kettlebell. makes it a lot harder to miss exercising.

The King of Teeth

Reaction score
nice- stay motivated and keep going. I just went from about 220 to 200 in the last few months. The key is dont starve your self. You gotta eat and you gotta workout. Get that metabolism going and then slowly start cutting the diet and eating about 2000 calories a day. A few more pounds and Im at my marriage weight from 14 years ago. Now the issue is I gotta get all my clothes altered again as my new bespoke pants and suits (6 months old) are now loose! Worth it though. Keep at it and good luck.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
good luck.

a little piece of esoteric advice - learn to use a kettlebell, even for a couple of simple moves. get a kettlebell, something that stretches you. keep it at home. if, for any reason, you don't get to the gym on a day that you are scheduled to, do 100 one arm snatch and presses with your kettlebell. makes it a lot harder to miss exercising.

just dont **** up and tear your rotator cuff which sidelines you from the gym or any physical activity for awhile

frown.gif

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Joined a new gym the other day.

I just got finished with the second of two personal training sessions. ****** is kicked.

I'm now 6 foot 240, which is ******* brutal. Had been using a normal gym and working pretty much on my own but had gotten away from that in the last year. So I decided I needed some instruction and a change of pace with someone to kick ****** a bit.
Plan on getting down to 200 even within a year.

Gym is pretty cool, just a big warehouse with rubber on the floor, plates and racks, lots of kettle bells and barbells and a small cardio area. They also have a bunch of pull up stations of various heights with straps of various lengths, rings hanging from the roof, some trapeze looking things, medicine balls, jump boxes, big ass ropes and that's about it.
Some crap to pull around in the parking lot too.

Has several kettle bell classes, offers coaching for barbell and Olympic lifting, spinning, yoga/stretch classes, and several group classes.

It feels good to be back in the gym. I'm paying for three months out the gate so we'll see where I'm at then.

Sounds great. Now that's a gym.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads