• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm. That gives me something to think about. I may need to think about swapping my medium duffel for a MTB

As you might know I was also in your exact position, but it involved the MTB vs the #266 Sportsman. The seller was @GzStudio on eBay (pre styleforum). I had just read the forum for the first time (400 pages at that point) and @Soletrane love for his #266 and @mgrennier distaste for his MTB, or cardboard box with a strap was how he put it, both were up for consideration. Long story short the #266 won the debate and I passed on the Talon Tan #246 MTB that GZ was selling. The funny thing is that a year later I sold the #266 to @CCF1897 and bought a practically new Talon #246 MTB from Gzstudio. How's that for a fun little merry-go-round. That should display my feelings for the MTB, which I have already used way more times than the #266, and have no intention of selling it....but then again I'm a minimalist so who knows what the future brings.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that I've received the #264 in the mail and have had a chance to load it up with some fly gear, I'm glad to have it! It will definitely be easier to keep things sorted out, instead of loading up a tote and allowing everything to get mixed up. I also think it'll be easier to keep track of leaders, hemostats, line nippers, spools, etc.

I was especially excited to find that the strap had a single layer leather pad instead of the sewn strap pad!

Would love to see a photo of it and when it's packed with your gear, as would everyone else here...we love photos, especially if they have Filson's in them...just no feet....we hate feet...especially if they have Filson's in them :lol:

linablair

Reaction score
Would love to see a photo of it and when it's packed with your gear, as would everyone else here...we love photos, especially if they have Filson's in them...just no feet....we hate feet...especially if they have Filson's in them :lol:

Happy to do that! I’ve got it loaded up with seven fly boxes, stream tools, sunglasses, four reels, ten spools of tippet, etc. plenty for several days on the water!

The leather seems to be good quality and seems a bit more red than recent bags I’ve seen. The twill definitely isn’t as heavy as the original stuff. Still happy overall and looking forward to trout season!

858F3325-C423-4891-B78E-83B816CBB4D5.jpeg

FF8257A7-351A-4D5A-B814-17EFD98C0F13.jpeg

822B5ADA-4B31-4182-8535-E14A519C4C4B.jpeg

444E5410-90B9-48E2-A2EA-A104F55F898D.jpeg

CCF1897

Reaction score
Happy to do that! I’ve got it loaded up with seven fly boxes, stream tools, sunglasses, four reels, ten spools of tippet, etc. plenty for several days on the water!

The leather seems to be good quality and seems a bit more red than recent bags I’ve seen. The twill definitely isn’t as heavy as the original stuff. Still happy overall and looking forward to trout season!

View attachment 1112948

View attachment 1112949

View attachment 1112950

View attachment 1112951
Very nice setup there! I have been debating using one of my 264’s for a tackle box this spring, I’ve also been looking at the frost river tackle box as well. I’ll make a decision here in a week or so. Your pics may make it a bit easier.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1112948

View attachment 1112949

View attachment 1112950

View attachment 1112951
That’s an amazing set up and, more importantly an amazing reason to have a set up like that. Enjoy the flyfishing.

Canuckle

Reaction score
Hmmmm. That gives me something to think about. I may need to think about swapping my medium duffel for a MTB

I love my MTB. I owned a medium duffle before (newer version) and it was awful compared to the MTB. The nice thing about this 246 MTB is that the zippers go down a bit further giving much better access inside. I also like that there's no outer storm flap, it allows the nice brass zipper to shine and adds some character to the bag. The outside and inside organizer pockets are just icing on the cake. I am not sure why Filson got rid of this bag.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my MTB. I owned a medium duffle before (newer version) and it was awful compared to the MTB. The nice thing about this 246 MTB is that the zippers go down a bit further giving much better access inside. I also like that there's no outer storm flap, it allows the nice brass zipper to shine and adds some character to the bag. The outside and inside organizer pockets are just icing on the cake. I am not sure why Filson got rid of this bag.

I have the LTB and when I use it (usually on week-long leisure trips), I find myself rediscovering the benefits of pockets and the wide zipper all over again - and I think Filson was right to put “Travel” in the name.

trevor_b

Reaction score

View attachment 1112948

View attachment 1112949

View attachment 1112950

View attachment 1112951

Nice bug, like quality leather, that's seems well!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to share this AWESOME surprise with everyone. A good lesson in not being afraid to speak up, especially when you know you're in the right. About a week ago I contacted Filson CS Dept about when they were going to restock the Stanley X Filson Flask. Since I had their ear already I thought this was the perfect time to share my opinion on their December shipping mishap and what I thought about their lack of packaging protection for their high priced garment items. Just to give a quick recap: I ordered a Mackinaw Wool Vest from Filson.com. I wanted to show my support for the company so I gladly paid retail (minus 10% email offer of course..I'm not crazy), instead of opting for a third party retailer. I had to wait 2 weeks for them to process the payment and get it ready to ship, and it arrived late on Christmas Eve in a flimsy plastic bag with the contents all mashed up inside (it was a gift for me that 3/4 I paid for).

The CS Rep couldn't really do anything for me even when I stated that I intended on buying a Mackinaw Cruiser from Filson.com and wanted them to ship it to me in a protective cardboard box, to protect the plastic buttons mainly. He said there isn't a way for them to special request packaging, even when I showed him lesser items from Filson.com being shipped out in boxes. I'm not looking for anything fancy here, just a plain box. So after the chat ended I spoke my mind to those survey questionnaires...I gave both barrels. I received this email a week later and my jaw dropped to the floor. I can't make any promises, but with generosity like this and their kind words, I plan on being a Filson customer for life. :fonz:

Filson letter A.PNG

filson letter 2.PNG

Last edited:

GzStudio

Reaction score
Just wanted to share this AWESOME surprise with everyone. A good lesson in not being afraid to speak up, especially when you know you're in the right. About a week ago I contacted Filson CS Dept about when they were going to restock the Stanley X Filson Flask. Since I had their ear already I thought this was the perfect time to share my opinion on their December shipping mishap and what I thought about their lack of packaging protection for their high priced garment items. Just to give a quick recap: I ordered a Mackinaw Wool Vest from Filson.com. I wanted to show my support for the company so I gladly paid retail (minus 10% email offer of course..I'm not crazy), instead of opting for a third party retailer. I had to wait 2 weeks for them to process the payment and get it ready to ship, and it arrived late on Christmas Eve in a flimsy plastic bag with the contents all mashed up inside (it was a gift for me that 3/4 I paid for).

The CS Rep couldn't really do anything for me even when I stated that I intended on buying a Mackinaw Cruiser from Filson.com and wanted them to ship it to me in a protective cardboard box, to protect the plastic buttons mainly. He said there isn't a way for them to special request packaging, even when I showed him lesser items from Filson.com being shipped out in boxes. I'm not looking for anything fancy here, just a plain box. So after the chat ended I spoke my mind to those survey questionnaires...I gave both barrels. I received this email a week later and my jaw dropped to the floor. I can't make any promises, but with generosity like this, I plan on being a Filson customer for life. :fonz:

View attachment 1113340

View attachment 1113341

you didn't show the code.......

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As you might know I was also in your exact position, but it involved the MTB vs the #266 Sportsman. The seller was @GzStudio on eBay (pre styleforum). I had just read the forum for the first time (400 pages at that point) and @Soletrane love for his #266 and @mgrennier distaste for his MTB, or cardboard box with a strap was how he put, were up for consideration. Long story short the #266 won the debate and I passed on the Talon Tan #246 MTB that GZ was selling. The funny thing is that a year later I sold the #266 to @CCF1897 and bought a practically new Talon #246 MTB from Gzstudio. How's that for a fun little merry-go-round. That should display my feelings for the MTB, which I have already used more times than the #266, and have no intention of selling it....but then again I'm a minimalist so who knows what the future brings.
Interesting. I never thought of the Sportsman

Appreciate this perspective. I am going to look very hard at swapping my duffel for an MTB then. One more eBay search to add :laugh:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I never thought of the Sportsman

Appreciate this perspective. I am going to look very hard at swapping my duffel for an MTB then. One more eBay search to add :laugh:
I have nothing against the MTB. I actually really liked it for the couple of trips I used it on. Alas, I ended up selling mine and keeping my medium duffle. Don’t be fooled, the medium duffle is a lot bigger. The medium travel bag is a slightly taller version of the small duffle. Again, a great bag, but for me didn’t serve the same purpose as my medium duffle.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have nothing against the MTB. I actually really liked it for the couple of trips I used it on. Alas, I ended up selling mine and keeping my medium duffle. Don’t be fooled, the medium duffle is a lot bigger. The medium travel bag is a slightly taller version of the small duffle. Again, a great bag, but for me didn’t serve the same purpose as my medium duffle.

#246 MTB: 18"L x 13"H x 11"W (42 L)

#70325 Medium Duffel: 20"L x 13"H x 12"W (45 L)

Bigger, yes however I wouldn't go as far as saying that it's a lot bigger. As in the difference between an STB vs MTB or a Small Duffel #220 vs #70325 kind of bigger. It's more like a #258 vs #257 kind of bigger to put into Filson terms. But in this case the smaller of the two has much better workable organizational abilities (like the #258). I can achieve 7 days into the MTB utilizing packing cubes and still have room to access everything I need in the bag, unlike the small duffel (or medium) where you need to start removing the contents to access things (especially in the end pockets). Plus if you are utilizing those interior end pockets the Duffel losses the 2 inches it gains on the MTB, which has exterior end pockets that don't cause you to lose on the inches

I'd say the biggest benefit of the MTB is that you can stuff it full and not worry about having to check it, whereas the New Medium Duffel is skating on the razor edge as what is allowed to carry-on (if that matters to you).

Last edited:

woodsjw

Reaction score
#246 MTB: 18"L x 13"H x 11"W (42 L)

#70325 Medium Duffel: 20"L x 13"H x 12"W (45 L)

Bigger, yes however I wouldn't go as far as saying that it's a lot bigger. As in the difference between an STB vs MTB or a Small Duffel #220 vs #70325 kind of bigger. It's more like a #258 vs #257 kind of bigger to put into Filson terms. But in this case the smaller of the two has much better workable organizational abilities (like the #258). I can achieve 7 days into the MTB utilizing packing cubes and still have room to access everything I need in the bag, unlike the small duffel (or medium) where you need to start removing the contents to access things (especially in the end pockets). Plus if you are utilizing those interior end pockets the Duffel losses the 2 inches it gains on the MTB, which has exterior end pockets that don't cause you to lose on the inches

I'd say the biggest benefit of the MTB is that you can stuff it full and not worry about having to check it, whereas the New Medium Duffel is skating on the razor edge as what is allowed to carry-on (if that matters to you).

Using a conversion calculator... the Medium Duffel comes out to 51+ Liters, while the MTB 42+...

https://www.sensorsone.com/length-width-and-height-to-volume-calculator/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads