• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe this is an question for @Soletrane to answer but how did these 1st Edition #242's function without the interior straps to secure your contents? It seems like this was a huge oversight for Filson when it comes to clamshell luggage.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Filson-Vin...per/254038940938?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

how.PNG

Also this looks to be a near ripoff of the Filson Suit Cover Bag from a company called "White Wing"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Wing...h=item5215f15487:g:zTAAAOSwDYdcJrnS:rk:4:pf:0

suitcover.PNG

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice inclusion of the sea dweller!

Similar but different. 258 in overnight bag mode. View attachment 1098013
I just did the 48 hour for one night in Michigan. Love love love that bag. Perhaps one of the best that Filson has made in recent times. Even my brother-in-law commented how much he liked it.

Not pictured: Filson 48 hour bag.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any of Filson’s flasks, specifically this collaboration from Drinkware giant STANLEY? I am considering one if I see it at the Filson store. It’s gonna come in handy at my cigar lounge, making sure I don’t over consume...or over-share (I am often too generous sometimes)

Right now they're sold out online and I am on their email list for when it's restocked.

https://www.filson.com/stanley-master-series-flask.html

flask 2.jpg

Last edited:

Dad Shoes

Reaction score
Don't want to worry about denim transfer onto your bag? I have the solution. I was canvasing the inventory at the Filson on Great Jones in NYC and I came across a very unique 260 Open Tote. It was denim with natural leather and was different than anything I had seen before. I asked the rep for a bit more information.

Apparently, Filson got their hands on a small amount of the last of the Cone Mills denim and it was sent to the workshop department...

Small Tangent: According to the one of the managers at the Flagship store the people who are making the workshop bags are the same people that make the FRD bags, only they are using new materials rather than old to create one of a kind or a few of a kind items. I believe it, because the tote had the same special 'tag' on the rim as my FRD tote which is the signature of one of the FRD builders. Tangent End.

So he told me that they made a duffle, a tote, and a briefcase. I immediately asked him if they still had the briefcase, which he told me he hadn't seen it in a while and he thinks it was sold. I left the tote behind and made my way up to the Flagship store. Low and behold, I walk into the flagship store and there it was. The tag calls it a modified workshop briefcase, but it is basically a 70016 tin cloth original briefcase made with denim and natural leather, and a classic padless shoulder strap. Anyways, I couldn't pass on it. I tried, but ended up going back for it.

I'm pretty excited about the workshop stuff. They are doing some really cool things with both bags and clothing that I think our community will really like. It's almost like that 'premium' line that we have been talking about with hand chosen materials and solid craftsmanship. Let me know what you guys think!

View attachment 1096264

View attachment 1096265

View attachment 1096266

View attachment 1096267

View attachment 1096268

View attachment 1096269
Wow, really nice looking bag. I love the natural leather and the dark blue. May I ask how much they charged for it? Curious if there's a big mark-up on it. I would have a hard time using that thing because I wouldn't want to change the way it looks! Excellent pick-up.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, really nice looking bag. I love the natural leather and the dark blue. May I ask how much they charged for it? Curious if there's a big mark-up on it. I would have a hard time using that thing because I wouldn't want to change the way it looks! Excellent pick-up.
Thanks! There was a mark up for the workshop “one of a kind” aspect but it wasn’t an FRD markup probably due to there just not being nearly as much labor involved from fixing. I paid $435 w/ taxes (though I did manage a 10% discount). Retail was $450. The Open Tote 260 that they had with the same materials was $300.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Toombs

Reaction score
B11C4B8F-27FB-412D-9F28-AC0CB6962849.jpeg
Happy New Year to everyone! It has been a while since I last chimed in, but I caught up on the posts over the holidays. I saw several where I thought I could add to the discussion.

Congratulations @Stratkat on the new watch. I have had 2 Steinhart watches for about 4-5 years, and as a value proposition - I love them. @speedy611 - I agree that they are completely an homage to a classic Rolex design. It is a derivative copy of an expensive original. For my purposes I wanted a nice daily wear watch that I would not worry about. I also did not want a Seiko SK007 dive watch. The Steinhart watch gets me to about 80-85% of the pleasure that I would derive from a Rolex Submariner, and 0% of the concern if I damaged it. I have the Ocean Vintage Military and a GMT-Ocean 1 Black Ceramic

I have had one watch serviced by the Steinhart factory. They serviced it and returned it without charge in a couple of weeks. I am sure the repair was necessary because of my use and was willing to pay repair costs. It was a nice surprise to not be charged for the repair.

For another view of the expense of an original and authentic item, and the value of an equally authentic homage item, my favorite automobile in the world is a 1920’s Bugatti Type 35. I think they are beautiful and are arguably the most successful race car of that era. An original vehicle would command a price of #+/- $3,000,000.00. There is a super cool company, Pur Sang, in Argentina that has been hand making a replica of this car for around $250,000.00. Apparently many owners of original Type 35 cars have a Pur Sang Type 35 for actual driving use. Just thought this might interest a few of you...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markew...ccessful-racing-car-of-all-time/#6b1021704c76

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/photo-essays/2016-12-30/driving-a-pur-sang-type-35-bugatti

In early December, someone asked @GzStudio about the strap he had on his Filson 256 Briefcase in a picture he posted. It was a padless, wide strap that was originally supplied with a large duffle bag. I thought that was a great idea because for 24 years I have hated the strap “pad” on my original leather Filson briefcase. It seems that it was never in the right place to do its job on my shoulder. After seeing that picture I swapped out the wide strap from my xlarge duffel, and instantly asked @GzStudio if he had one for my new to me Talon 256. He sold me one for a reasonable price and my xlarge duffel got its strap back. I think that it is a mod that is worthwhile if you carry your briefcase on your shoulder very often.

Last edited:

Toombs

Reaction score
Some Filson Spotting at the Havana, Cuba Airport before Christmas.

64FA707E-102F-47E4-88A7-BBBEC70C2DFC.jpeg

I have been going to Cuba to help with church construction projects for the last 15 years. I really enjoy the people, the work is hard, and the culture is mesmerizing for the frozen in time aspect of everything. This particular church I have been to every couple of years and they are getting close to completing it. I was there when we were driving steel piles deep into the bedrock with a hand winch pile driver for the foundation and plan to be there again when they finish up. Typically we sleep on bedrolls in Sunday School rooms on site. I have attached a picture of my spot on this trip. To pack light I save my 2 checked bags for construction tools, material, or equipment. All my clothes go into my carryon, and my pillow is my talon 256 briefcase. I think CC Filson and Stan Kohl’s would be proud of their product being used in this way.

D3ECF5D9-1E78-4FAD-AB60-3EDAC420B981.jpeg

62585601-2E43-4537-92C3-1114393DED2B.jpeg

Last edited:

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1098598 Happy New Year to everyone! It has been a while since I last chimed in, but I caught up on the posts over the holidays. I saw several where I thought I could add to the discussion.

Congratulations @Stratkat on the new watch. I have had 2 Steinhart watches for about 4-5 years, and as a value proposition - I love them. @speedy611 - I agree that they are completely an homage to a classic Rolex design. It is a derivative copy of an expensive original. For my purposes I wanted a nice daily wear watch that I would not worry about. I also did not want a Seiko SK007 dive watch. The Steinhart watch gets me to about 80-85% of the pleasure that I would derive from a Rolex Submariner, and 0% of the concern if I damaged it. I have the Ocean Vintage Military and a GMT-Ocean 1 Black Ceramic

I have had one watch serviced by the Steinhart factory. They serviced it and returned it without charge in a couple of weeks. I am sure the repair was necessary because of my use and was willing to pay repair costs. It was a nice surprise to not be charged for the repair.

For another view of the expense of an original and authentic item, and the value of an equally authentic homage item, my favorite automobile in the world is a 1920’s Bugatti Type 35. I think they are beautiful and are arguably the most successful race car of that era. An original vehicle would command a price of #+/- $3,000,000.00. There is a super cool company, Pur Sang, in Argentina that has been hand making a replica of this car for around $250,000.00. Apparently many owners of original Type 35 cars have a Pur Sang Type 35 for actual driving use. Just thought this might interest a few of you...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markew...ccessful-racing-car-of-all-time/#6b1021704c76

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/photo-essays/2016-12-30/driving-a-pur-sang-type-35-bugatti

In early December, someone asked @GzStudio about the strap he had on his Filson 261 Briefcase in a picture he posted. It was a padless, wide strap that was originally supplied with a large duffle bag. I thought that was a great idea because for 24 years I have hated the strap “pad” on my original leather Filson briefcase. It seems that it was never in the right place to do its job on my shoulder. After seeing that picture I swapped out the wide strap from my xlarge duffel, and instantly asked @GzStudio if he had one for my new to me Talon 261. He sold me one for a reasonable price and my xlarge duffel got its strap back. I think that it is a mod that is very worthwhile if you carry your briefcase on your shoulder very often.
Hey toombs. Welcome back and thanks for the post. You beat me to that strap by just a wry shirt while as I had also reached out to GZ for one. Oh well, glad it’s found a good home.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some Filson Spotting at the Havana, Cuba Airport before Christmas.

View attachment 1098644

I have been going to Cuba to help with church construction projects for the last 15 years. I really enjoy the people, the work is hard, and the culture is mesmerizing for the frozen in time aspect of everything. This particular church I have been to every couple of years and they are getting close to completing it. I was there when we were driving steel piles deep into the bedrock with a hand winch pile driver for the foundation and plan to be there again when they finish up. Typically we sleep on bedrolls in Sunday School rooms on site. I have attached a picture of my spot on this trip. To pack light I save my 2 checked bags for construction tools, material, or equipment. All my clothes go into my carryon, and my pillow is my talon 261 briefcase. I think CC Filson and Stan Kohl’s would be proud of their product being used in this way.

View attachment 1098645

View attachment 1098604

Welcome back @Toombs . Very captivating photos; really puts things into perspective. I love Cuba but have never been. Are you into cigars? I imagine being there you have seen your fair share. That sounds like a nice life you have "carved' out for yourself that has its rewards while also being very rewarding (spiritually).

Also I couldn't help but notice you referring to your Talon #256 as a "261 Tote"...Talon Gods be praised. :fonz:

Toombs

Reaction score
Welcome back @Toombs . Very captivating photos; really puts things into perspective. I love Cuba but have never been. Are you into cigars? I imagine being there you have seen your fair share. That sounds like a nice life you have "carved' out for yourself that has its rewards while also being very rewarding (spiritually).

Also I couldn't help but notice you referring to your Talon #256 as a "261 Tote"...Talon Gods be praised. :fonz:

@OtterMeanGreen - I think I should sign in more often! I have corrected the Filson Terminology in my original post!

My Dad has a daily late morning cigar when he reads, but I have never taken up the habit. I usually bring him a box back when I go. The quality of the cigars I get down there seems to vary greatly. Almost all the cigars bought in a government cigar shop are of high quality. Some of the cigars bought from possibly illicit sources seem to be made, labeled, and packaged at the official factory source, but maybe the tobacco was of a lower quality or seconds. It was also illegal for us to bring any back until a few years ago. Then we were limited to about $100 dollars worth, and now it is a much higher dollar limit. Until a few years ago, the only things you could bring back to the USA were books, artwork, and a few other classifications.

@mgrennier - Sorry that I was quicker on the draw with GZ! The wider strap feels like it is the width strap that should have come on the bag.

Now, if I could find a New Old Stock Leather Snap Pad (like Crane’s use to sell) to have sewn on the carry handles of the Talon 256, I would have it made.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@OtterMeanGreen - I think I should sign in more often! I have corrected the Filson Terminology in my original post!

My Dad has a daily late morning cigar when he reads, but I have never taken up the habit. I usually bring him a box back when I go. The quality of the cigars I get down there seems to vary greatly. Almost all the cigars bought in a government cigar shop are of high quality. Some of the cigars bought from possibly illicit sources seem to be made, labeled, and packaged at the official factory source, but maybe the tobacco was of a lower quality or seconds. It was also illegal for us to bring any back until a few years ago. Then we were limited to about $100 dollars worth, and now it is a much higher dollar limit. Until a few years ago, the only things you could bring back to the USA were books, artwork, and a few other classifications.

@mgrennier - Sorry that I was quicker on the draw with GZ! The wider strap feels like it is the width strap that should have come on the bag.

Now, if I could find a New Old Stock Leather Snap Pad (like Crane’s use to sell) to have sewn on the carry handles of the Talon 256, I would have it made.

That's crazy you remember the #256 snap pad mod that Crane's use to sell and market on here. It's been years since that guy has posted though. I believe Filson themselves use to take requests with that particular modification. Thanks for the insider information on Cuban Cigars. I am actually only a 2 cigar a week hobbyist (Every Friday unless I'm under the weather). I have read that in the USA alone there is more fake Cuban Cigars being sold then real ones coming out of the factories in Cuba. I have great respect for Cuban culture and their BiFL attitude towards things; specifically their cars.

Speaking of the Talon #261 and Hand Tools (cool photo). Was actually surprised it was a Talon as I didn't notice it until right this instant:

filson and tools.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads