• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pete E

Reaction score
Pete - totally agree and you are correct. My apologies if my comment implied that Filson was the only option. What I was trying to say was that if he wants the brand name there isn’t really anything else. If he wants a good bag made of leather and canvas there are other options!
Billingham camera bags are one and they are generally as expensive as Filson.

#giddy

No offence taken...And as you say, if he wants Filson, he will have to bite the bullet lol I had that itch with my Billingham camera bag!

It did cross my mind that with all the cheap flights about these days, you could probably fly from the UK to the US have a long weekend and then carry a Filson back and still break about even with UK retail prices!

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No offence taken...And as you say, if he wants Filson, he will have to bite the bullet lol I had that itch with my Billingham camera bag!

It did cross my mind that with all the cheap flights about these days, you could probably fly from the UK to the US have a long weekend and then carry a Filson back and still break about even with UK retail prices!

I was actually having that conversation with myself today about a trip to NYC, pick up some stuff (and a big Pelican case that is super cheap in the US) Quick hello to OMG whilst there. And so on.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was actually having that conversation with myself today about a trip to NYC, pick up some stuff (and a big Pelican case that is super cheap in the US) Quick hello to OMG whilst there. And so on.
There is a good chance that I’ll be in NYC a few times over the next few weeks as well. Could be fun.

Right now, I’m boarding a plane to Vegas for the week (don’t worry I won’t have ANY fun). Then SFO next week, then NYC the week after!

#giddy

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 256. Overloaded but tough as nails.

image.jpg

Emthigious

Reaction score
Thanks for the information folks! I'm still deciding between tan and navy, but it will be a 256. I have a navy zippered tote (since 2.5 weeks ;-)) and I'm sold on Filson.

I'm not sure if there are many brick and mortar dealers around NL that carry inventory, but I'm going to do some homework and look at my options: 2nd hand or new. Thanks!

Edit: and of course, if going for the 2nd hand: I'd very much prefer a trusted source like someone from this forum. Thanks for the tips @TinMan3

Last edited:

kbui

Reaction score
Thanks for the information folks! I'm still deciding between tan and navy, but it will be a 256. I have a navy zippered tote (since 2.5 weeks ;-)) and I'm sold on Filson.

I'm not sure if there are many brick and mortar dealers around NL that carry inventory, but I'm going to do some homework and look at my options: 2nd hand or new. Thanks!

There is a navy 256 on the big auction house that also comes with tweed accents: https://www.ebay.com/itm/323428633597?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So are you guys saying that I shouldn't buy a new original briefcase, but look out for a second hand one? Trouble is that the secondary market here in NL is quite small. However, a new 256 would run me about $450 which is also bonkers. Alternatively I could buy one from the bay and pay for shipping over here.
Good thing about eBay is they participate in the Global Shipping Program which makes it very appealing to sellers to expand their selling parameters. I ordered something from Japan and it was free shipping. Best advice is to look at the secondary market and try to locate a new or practically new Filson #256. Either a Talon Era (1992-2002) or a straight YKK Era (2002-2008). I’ve seen a number of like-new Talon/YKK 256’s that go for less than a new Filson 70256.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Let me know when you’re in town, I’ll jump on the train and meet you at the Filson store. Believe it or not I have yet to go, as it’s downtown and I always end having to go uptown or to another borough
Not sure if you’re a cigar enthusiast like myself or @mgrennier but there’s this place not to far from Filson NYC called Nat Sherman’s. It was hugely popular since opening in the 1930’s. The Rat Pack, JFK and Al Capone were all respected customers. We should have a cigar if you’d like.

https://www.cigars-connect.com/new-york-nat-sherman-the-most-famous-shop-in-the-us/

Last edited:

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice transplanted padless strap. Wouldn’t that be crazy if 3 members from this thread met at once, if you’re in town the same time as Speedy?
When is all this happening? I'm coming to NYC on Wed. (will be in the Financial District) and while I'm slammed the whole time I'm supposed to be there, it's entirely possible I'm going to get stranded by the damn hurricane (I live in central NC, right where the storm is supposed to be for the scheduled time of my Friday flight). I've got a friend there who'll I'll probably spend Friday night with, and I have no idea when I'd be leaving (I'm supposed to leave for Japan on Monday - might just pop straight to San Fran to catch my Monday itinerary - lol), but I might be able to meet up on Saturday...

(y'all forgive me for praying the storm takes a hard turn toward harmless seas and renders all that moot...)

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When is all this happening? I'm coming to NYC on Wed. (will be in the Financial District) and while I'm slammed the whole time I'm supposed to be there, it's entirely possible I'm going to get stranded by the damn hurricane (I live in central NC, right where the storm is supposed to be for the scheduled time of my Friday flight). I've got a friend there who'll I'll probably spend Friday night with, and I have no idea when I'd be leaving (I'm supposed to leave for Japan on Monday - might just pop straight to San Fran to catch my Monday itinerary - lol), but I might be able to meet up on Saturday...

(y'all forgive me for praying the storm takes a hard turn toward harmless seas and renders all that moot...)
Would be great to coordinate a trip to the NYC Filson store. I don’t think I’ll be there for a couple weeks. Vegas this week, SFO next and THEN possibly NYC - so the week of Oct 1st, perhaps.

That said, I travel so much that I’d make a special trip to NYC for the trip. Add some whiskey and damn, I’m double-in.

stylish_raven

Reaction score
Anybody check their duffels in as hold luggage when they fly?

Just curious as I've only mine done such with mine a couple of times, and both times it came back looking like it had travelled in the back of a garbage truck.

The second time it was particularly bad including somebody cutting off the brass zip puller to get into the bag?

Admittedly these trips were flying "cattle class" on a holiday flights to Europe but I don't think I will ever invest in really nice luggage just to have it trashed by the airline luggage gorillas...

I would be interested to hear if luggage is treated any better in Business or First Class???
I guess not as the luggage is not ussually separated

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads