• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

converge

Reaction score
Thoughts on the orange tote? Can't tell if the orange is feminine or a masculine hunter's orange.

Reaction score
has anyone ever tried having nordstrom price match. I know they used to match sites for items in same color and style regardless if in stock or not. I also know they carry the large carry on.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thoughts on the orange tote? Can't tell if the orange is feminine or a masculine hunter's orange.

In person, it's bright as hell. Like the navy, it doesn't feel as thick/substantial as the tan/otter/brown twills. Whether it's masculine or feminine probably depends a lot on whether you're out hunting or walking around the mall :)

milw50717

Reaction score
It is very bright as it is the safety/hunters/blaze orange that is used when hunting. The theory being that the colour doesn't occur in nature and the game being hunted don't really register it as a bright colour, so wearing it and marking your location using coloured tape or cloth makes you more visible to other hunters and thus less likely to suffer a blue on blue (or is that orange on orange) incident. Filson makes hunting clothes using this colour material
10375-main-281.jpg

Last edited:

illition

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting this Filson Duffle after going through many websites and looking at many other alternatives.

This still seems to be the most raved about and seems to develop a character (patina) of sorts over the years. Therefore, i'm thinking of picking one of these up for casual use.

I'm in a little bit of a dilemma as to which one to pick! Okay firstly, I would like to ask (people who know about the filson brand), do you know if the colour of the bridle leather is the same for all the models? According to their website some models seem to have lighter brown leather while some seem darker.

Example, does the Rolling Duffle Large (Shown below) have the same color leather as the Small/Medium duffle?
70188-main-410.jpg

I ask only because on the Small/Medium duffle (shown below) the colour of the leather seems to be darker (and not as contrasting)
UL00109_NAVY

Another thing I can't decide, is which size to get.
- While i'm afraid the medium might be too large for everyday use (for going to school or the to gym)
- I'm also concerned that the small may be too small to fit anything decent.
Or it may simply look too small. I'm quite a big guy so I would need a bag that fits well as well!

*I'm mostly just going to use this as a casual bag for school or for walking around town etc.

When I travel I typically pack everything into a big check-in luggage and bring a backpack with me, currently using this one ;)
jansp3006334304_m3_1-0.jpg

So what do you guys think? I'm looking at either a Navy, or Otter Green duffle! Also, is it safe to buy these from eBay? Would they be genuine? (are there even fake Filsons out there?)

I've been looking at this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291306211404

It would be great to see some photos/comparisons too if you have any! Thanks!

milw50717

Reaction score
I think the difference in colour between the two leathers is just a trick of the light.

There are any number of factors that can alter how an image look and how the colours are portrayed, Lighting - colour temperature, direction(s) and strength of light, direct, bounced or difussed, etc, etc. Then you have to consider the white balance and the metering used for the exposure. After that there is what is done in post-production - what software was used and what is it calibrated for, what monitor was used and what, if any, calibration it has had, what preferences the person doing the editing may have for colours. Then you have how well your monitor is calibrated when viewing an image. All of this means that two different photographs of the same image may look different to the same person if they are taken and edited in different ways.

Now, having said all of that I think there are just two main colours (i.e. ignoring the natural colour of some items) of bridle leather used on these bags - brown and black. The brown is very dark and can be mistaken for black in dark images. Maybe someone else can confirm, but I think the black leather is used only on the black bags ?? .

In the two images you posted it can be seen that the all colours are brighter and lighter in the first image than the second. It should be noted that there can be slight variations in the the leather colouring as there will be differences in the way in which the leather accepts the dye, but I strongly suspect that the colour of the leather on those two bags is going to be the dark brown that we know and love.

illition

Reaction score
I think the difference in colour between the two leathers is just a trick of the light.

There are any number of factors that can alter how an image look and how the colours are portrayed, Lighting - colour temperature, direction(s) and strength of light, direct, bounced or difussed, etc, etc. Then you have to consider the white balance and the metering used for the exposure. After that there is what is done in post-production - what software was used and what is it calibrated for, what monitor was used and what, if any, calibration it has had, what preferences the person doing the editing may have for colours. Then you have how well your monitor is calibrated when viewing an image. All of this means that two different photographs of the same image may look different to the same person if they are taken and edited in different ways.

Now, having said all of that I think there are just two main colours (i.e. ignoring the natural colour of some items) of bridle leather used on these bags - brown and black. The brown is very dark and can be mistaken for black in dark images. Maybe someone else can confirm, but I think the black leather is used only on the black bags ?? .

In the two images you posted it can be seen that the all colours are brighter and lighter in the first image than the second. It should be noted that there can be slight variations in the the leather colouring as there will be differences in the way in which the leather accepts the dye, but I strongly suspect that the colour of the leather on those two bags is going to be the dark brown that we know and love.
Thanks for the quick reply! I had similar suspicions, but I guess we have to wait and see if this is infact true. :)

I have decided to go with the small duffle as I would like this to be a small handcarry I can bring out with me to school, gym etc. and I don't want to look like im going on a 3 day trip everytime I bring this bag out!

After much searching, I found a thread here which showed quite well the different sizes of the bags (decently filled but not stuffed to the brim)

http://frederic0713.pixnet.net/blog/post/248681417-filson經典duffle旅行袋大集合

Now I can't decide on the colours argh. I like all three, TAN, OTTER GREEN and Navy.

And while I know Tan is probably the most well loved and recognized, I can't help thinking it may get too old-looking after a number of years.

Could the Tan coloured bag be washed or cleaned such that it looks not new, but at least clean?

Last edited:

boned

Reaction score
Another thing I can't decide, is which size to get.
- While i'm afraid the medium might be too large for everyday use (for going to school or the to gym)
- I'm also concerned that the small may be too small to fit anything decent.
Or it may simply look too small. I'm quite a big guy so I would need a bag that fits well as well!

*I'm mostly just going to use this as a casual bag for school or for walking around town etc.

When I travel I typically pack everything into a big check-in luggage and bring a backpack with me, currently using this one ;)

The medium duffle is way too large for everyday use. I bought mine for carry on use, and returned it due to the sheer size. It could fit two weeks of clothes if you wanted it to.

If anyone has a Sportsman, could they comment on it's size and versatility, in comparison to the small duffle or medium travel bag?

Last edited:

illition

Reaction score
Thanks for the help! I've seen a couple of photos of people carrying the small duffel and have decided thats the correct size.

I agree it would be a little over the top to carry a medium duffle for everyday use!

tomatic

Reaction score
The medium duffle is way too large for everyday use. I bought mine for carry on use, and returned it due to the sheer size. It could fit two weeks of clothes if you wanted it to.

If anyone has a Sportsman, could they comment on it's size and versatility, in comparison to the small duffle or medium travel bag?

Sold Sportsman, bought Medium Travel > The side pockets of the SM take up a lot of space while being mostly useless if you use an additional bag for accessories, etc and the main compartment is rather small. MT is a real box and even fits a 15" MB so I'd strongly recommend it for any 3d+ trip.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Filson Fans- I have a black Original briefcase (256) that I'm going to sell. It's only 3 months old. I love it but I needed something a bit bigger so I decided to get the Filson 72 hour briefcase instead.

The black Original I have is in GREAT shape - barely used (it does show a slight bit of wear on the leather straps because I've carried it every day but not too much). It's softened up a good amount over the past couple months - call it "broken in".

I paid $248 for it from Amazon back in October 2014. I'd like to get $200 for it. I can ship it to you. I live in St. Louis.

Please let me know if you're interested. I'd rather avoid the whole ebay thing - although that is an option.

Mike

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads