• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

streuthm8

Reaction score
G'day mate , you could turn it inside out , zip /close it up ...and wack it in the dryer next time you are drying 6 or 10 towels ....the steaming does the trick. .....it helps not to mention this to the wife, not that the towels get stained or anything...its just better to avoid the conversation.
If you wax it again first...it will look pretty uneven and a bit grotty , but after the 20-30 minutes in the dryer .( inside out)..the wax is evenly melted into the bag and works a bloody treat.
hope this helps buddy
cheers mate

ncroadwarrior2

Reaction score
I'm all in and sold on the Filson products. I just purchased the 257 which I will use for work. Also, I just picked up a pre-owned Filson Rucksack. I can't wait to use them both.

adriancol

Reaction score
My 256 bag, got rather dirty and smelly after 4 years of loyal service and threw in the washer, hoping to age it some. I have some Filson Oil wax coming in to rewax the bag, but I am thinking of using some Obenhaufs oil on the canvas as well before rewaxing. Thoughts? Bad idea to use the Obenhaufs Oil not the LP on the canvas before the Filson wax is applied?

milw50717

Reaction score

My 256 bag, got rather dirty and smelly after 4 years of loyal service and threw in the washer, hoping to age it some.  I have some Filson Oil wax coming in to rewax the bag, but I am thinking of using some Obenhaufs oil on the canvas as well before rewaxing.  Thoughts?  Bad idea to use the Obenhaufs Oil not the LP on the canvas before the Filson wax is applied?

It didn't look aged after 4 years of use ?

Filson oil is a liquid, the LP is more of a paste. Of the two I suspect that the LP will be better for use on canvas as the oil, IMHO, will simply saturate the fabric. If you intend to use Filson wax, why use the obenaufs on the fabtic ?

FWIW - I use Obenaufs on the leather of my bags and I make my own DIY Greenland wax - using beewax and paraffin wax - for the fabric.The Greenland wax cools to a solid wax and I then apply it in several thin layers using a hair dryer to help soak it in.

adriancol

Reaction score
I threw caution to wind and used the oil last night. The tan bag is now a dark olive green, wiped off the excess oil and I got to say, it looks pretty cool. Will post some pics later. The bag is getting lighter in color as the day goes on, no oils residue also. It did make the bag super soft, though. Hoping the wax will make the canvas stiff again.

The bag now looks like some on the Filson restoration site.

Last edited:

sfactor23

Reaction score
Just a heads-up for anybody who might be interested:

I spoke with a Filson Rep this morning; he said they are going to put the heavy-tin bags back up on the site later this month - they have the otter green bags available now; didn't know if they were going to make the tan bags available, too -

Happy Holidays -

sfactor23

Reaction score
while I'm at it:
for anybody who has a heavy tin bag in otter green, what is the color of the bridle leather? is it black or is it dark brown? I can't seem to tell from pics online -
Thanks -

converge

Reaction score
I've been holding out for a while, but just ordered the medium duffle from eBags at 20% plus 12.5% cash back using eBates. This brings it to $228.80 when all is said and done.

I've been happily using a medium travel bag for a few years but there have been too many times where it's not big enough.

milw50717

Reaction score

I threw caution to wind and used the oil last night. The tan bag is now a dark olive green, wiped off the excess oil and I got to say, it looks pretty cool.  Will post some pics later.  The bag is getting lighter in color as the day goes on, no oils residue also.  It did make the bag super soft, though.  Hoping the wax will make the canvas stiff again.

The bag now looks like some on the Filson restoration site. 

Post images. It would be intetesting to see the results. I wonder if using a hair dryer would help dry the oil and help lighten the colour ?

tomatic

Reaction score
I've been holding out for a while, but just ordered the medium duffle from eBags at 20% plus 12.5% cash back using eBates. This brings it to $228.80 when all is said and done.

I've been happily using a medium travel bag for a few years but there have been too many times where it's not big enough.

I own both but found that there isn't that much difference in volume given that the travel bag with its outer pockets, height and better opening is easier to fill.

adriancol

Reaction score
Here is a pic
0b43081cba334cef8f1353e61b4e72f9.jpg
after 24 hours the bag has gotten lighter.

55c0a83bc6dc5267d8639a7da47e54fe.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads