• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife and I took an 8 day car trip for the first time in a long while. We took a lot of Filson bags:

I was glad to have a chance to use the OG 248 along with my trusty tan 70257 (back from the mothership with some repairs) and sepia zippered tote (aka my bourbon bag). My wife used the mackinaw duffle and tote that I have posted before.

The kicker for the whole trip was that the access code to the villa was I kid you not: 1897

Was a great trip and felt like a return to normalcy.

WJR
That's a cool coincidence on the 1897 code. 99.99% of the country would apply no significance to that number, but the fact that you caught it is awesome.

I just came back from a spring break trip and, while not a 'dedicated' bourbon bag, I was able to squeeze in a couple bottles to the medium duffle....

WJR

Reaction score
That's a cool coincidence on the 1897 code. 99.99% of the country would apply no significance to that number, but the fact that you caught it is awesome.

I just came back from a spring break trip and, while not a 'dedicated' bourbon bag, I was able to squeeze in a couple bottles to the medium duffle....

Thank you. It was funny the original door code was 4610 when the place was reserved then the day we arrived we are told the code changed to 1897. You could have knocked me over as here we were with more Filson gear on a trip than probably ever before.

Also, good for you squeezing in a few bottles into the duffle. I have done that plenty of times as well, but usually in a MTB.

WJR

sindrearg

Reaction score
I know it has been discussed before, but can someone direct me to the breakdown of the various versions/generations of the Journeyman backpack?
It should be on this page

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It should be on this page

I was hoping someone would ask this and then you posted the link and it took me right to a well detailed post by some kind of Filson nut called OtterMeanGreen. :lol: ;)

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's one of those deals that only comes around so often. November 2013 Build Date No.70257 in Otter Green that's in well preserved condition for the low low price of $207.98 shipped.

70257.PNG

This was one of the last years that Filson utilized thick Rugged Twill for the triple interior pockets, before a much lighter weight material was implemented.

70257 1.jpg

Versus the later variant that didn't lay flat or fold into itself. A pro or a con depending on which camp you're in.

70257 2.png

Personally I love my Talon Era bottomless pockets and use them for my mouse and power adapter/cords.

IMG_2906.JPG

Last edited:

TomWambsgans

Reaction score
Here's one of those deals that only comes around so often. November 2013 Build Date No.70257 in Otter Green that's in well preserved condition for the low low price of $207.98 shipped.

View attachment 1777610

But it's isn't padded though, right? Only the 258 and 24h are, IIRC.

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
No, they are not padded, the listing title is wrong.

On this topic I am glad that the 257 is unpadded as it is less bulky than the 258 when not full and my computer is well-enough protected inside. The only thing one might add if concerned for an expensive computer's well being is a little layer of padding inside bottom of the computer pocket; a small amount of woollen batting (from a quilting shop) would do, or simply some folded bubble wrap. Or keep the thing in a padded sleeve! Much better sense to put a wee bit of padding around or beneath the computer than pad the entire bag. My heavy textbooks do not require protection, they could stop a bullet!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only thing one might add if concerned for an expensive computer's well being is a little layer of padding inside bottom of the computer pocket

That....or an old splint used to brace a broken wrist from a Freeride Mountain Biking wipeout

IMG_2557.JPG

An added bonus is now it stands up on its own even better.

IMG_2560.JPG

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
Ha! We use SAM splints in my service (be paramedic, but an academic lecturing at university now so am not on-road anymore, i.e. I get to sleep all night) and have SAM splints, plus used to also use SAM pelvic slings. Funny you got to keep yours, that's a useful souvenir!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But it's isn't padded though, right? Only the 258 and 24h are, IIRC.

It's eBay, wouldn't be the first time they got the nomenclature wrong and certainly won't be the last.

Sellers like this one are an anomaly. Personally...this is a Filson that I feel is worth an exorbitant inflated price, because it's simply something not common and in such well preserved condition, which both would be true. Unlike "other" bags for sale with similar or higher prices based on a rumor and superficial things like being made in the USA.

236.PNG

Something tells me he has visited our thread or who knows...is already a member.

236 2.PNG

Last edited:

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my 257. I removed the inside divider and haven't looked back since. Makes it carry more like the 256 but with a bit more space in there...

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my 257. I removed the inside divider and haven't looked back since. Makes it carry more like the 256 but with a bit more space in there...

To each their own of course but I'm still living the divider life and loving it. If you pack smart you can still fit larger more cumbersome items in the middle....like a travel 10ct cigar humidor :fonz:

IMG_2648.JPG

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long time no post. Hello! Delighted to see the spork remains @OtterMeanGreen ! I’m just back from a few nights away with my 256 and 242 and my spork also lives permanently in one of the pen pockets.

in other Filson news, I got a total steal (£10!) on a silk/wool scarf 2 weeks ago. Meant for women but who cares! It’s a Nice Thing.

CC7B3925-91D1-480C-AA13-824598CCAA2B.jpeg

Also got a Filson shuksan fleece top, which I like a lot. Merino and polyester mix so a bit better than a standard fleece, and a slight odd fit - lots of shoulder room and quite a fitted waist. It’s good once on, but can be a tiny bit awkward getting in!

It’s warming up here now, but feb and March saw me using the single Mac cruiser a lot. Such a great garment.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads