• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gianm

Reaction score
Is the tan the go to colour in the 256? There's a black one on sale in Canada but I haven't seen many of them.

Kwaker

Reaction score
If you wanna scream Filson, get the tan. Black is Filson in stealth mode.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you wanna scream Filson, get the tan. Black is Filson in stealth mode.
I get tan because it will Patina and age nicely. Black will lighten up to almost brown, but it won’t patina in the same way. Yes, it does scream Filsom I guess, but there’s a reason it’s the most popular!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get tan because it will Patina and age nicely. Black will lighten up to almost brown, but it won’t patina in the same way. Yes, it does scream Filsom I guess, but there’s a reason it’s the most popular!

I haven't updated the count in awhile and probably should soon, but having said that, TAN is the most popular but not by a landslide. Otter Green may not be as popular, but it's the 2nd original color and has quite a fan-following. Plus it will patina slower then Tan but look much better (IMO) overtime then Brown, Black or Navy.

Last edited:

Stratkat

Reaction score
7717DC27-4D9B-4191-AD85-F74AABBF8599.jpeg
00F2CBFE-B4A7-4B16-B2F9-8E2839BC6959.jpeg
F1C00BFF-F706-4F89-8713-B76D0F3C12D4.jpeg
Here are the canvas pouches from Peg & Awl I was talking about. Hand made by an enterprising young couple with a nice back story, the leather has been reconstituted, YKK zippers, very nice and useful sizes. Would be nice if Filson still offered theirs.

nevadabob

Reaction score
Someone mentioned a smokey sweatshirt recently. There is one left, size medium, in Portland.

gianm

Reaction score
Think I'm going to get the black briefcase. I would prefer another colour but it's $200 cheaper (than other colours) in Canada right now. At some point utility wins out.

city74

Reaction score
UPDATE: Well I received my second Filson bag and after a few days pondering it, it’s been returned. They are great quality and I really like the bags overall. However I realized that I would not be happy with an unlined bag. I know I’m being picky but I don’t want to worry about my bag scratching up my shoes, or rubbing against my clothes, unless the bag is lined. To me, the canvas of a Filson is just to rough of a material to me for the inside of a bag. I got a Briggs & Riley that I’m very happy with and will be using it next weekend. Not that this matters to anyone but I had asked some questions of this forum and got some great help and just wanted to do a follow up.

woodsjw

Reaction score
UPDATE: Well I received my second Filson bag and after a few days pondering it, it’s been returned. They are great quality and I really like the bags overall. However I realized that I would not be happy with an unlined bag. I know I’m being picky but I don’t want to worry about my bag scratching up my shoes, or rubbing against my clothes, unless the bag is lined. To me, the canvas of a Filson is just to rough of a material to me for the inside of a bag. I got a Briggs & Riley that I’m very happy with and will be using it next weekend. Not that this matters to anyone but I had asked some questions of this forum and got some great help and just wanted to do a follow up.

Glad you found something you’re happy with... cheers!

nevadabob

Reaction score
Tinman3, I must say that your demin/natural briefcase is my favorite Filson I've seen in a long time. So much so, that I've done some calling around today and I think you've inspired me...

Time will tell.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tinman3, I must say that your demin/natural briefcase is my favorite Filson I've seen in a long time. So much so, that I've done some calling around today and I think you've inspired me...

Time will tell.
Ha! Oh man, I’m glad to have facilitated your inspiration! I’m hoping that your calling around is proving fruitful. I’ve used it for a couple of weeks and am loving it so far. Just a very nicely done bag! Please keep us updated!

Dad Shoes

Reaction score
Seconding the fun we had with @OtterMeanGreen and @Davey13. Spent a couple hours in the Filson NYC flagship then a drink or two at the Old Towne pub. Great time. Good to catch up with Otter after about a year and nice to meet Davey. It was fun.

I also met the Regional Manager for Filson (she was a lovely woman!) and she has told me that she’ll be in Seattle and will put a word in for me for my 24 hour in 22 oz twill. So I’m kinda counting on that. Haha!

She was also impressed with our little forum and ran to the back to pull out this awesome little bag after we were talking for a few. She has an orange 256 which would look amazing on the streets of NYC or perhaps in a hunting lodge in northern Michigan. Pic attached.

At the store we also spent some time with one of the employees (Kevin) who was a great dude. Originally from Seattle, he told us that his family has been wearing or carrying Filson for 4 generations- he gave us each a tote bag. (A shopping bag kind of tote. Not a true tin cloth tote, but nonetheless it was very much appreciated).

Here are some pics.

View attachment 1109987

View attachment 1109988

View attachment 1109989

View attachment 1109990

View attachment 1109991

View attachment 1109992
Wow, love seeing the pics of the one-offs, as well as the colorways that are not available everywhere (natural colored canvas with the lighter leather). Really cool--keep em coming! Tinman's briefcase is still my favorite though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads