• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ideally a pre-bedrock but not a musty old one. I'd like it in otter green as my EDC is a tan original brief and I also have a tan Sportsman, navy medium duffle and navy rolling carry-on. I've never had a green Filson.

I had my eye on a post bedrock one but it sold before I had the chance to bid on it. (In-laws are in town)

What are my best options?
I would never send you a link for a musty old one. That wouldn't be "a proverbial diamond in the rough" as you say. That would be too easy for me, and since I like a challenge, not my style. Otter Green is the way to go in your case, but of course I would say something like that lol.

Although I can't begin to recommend a post-bedrock duffel (too easy), I wouldn't pass up a YKK or even one that still has the "above the build tag motto" of "Might As Well Have The Best". Since Bedrock didn't care enough to preserve that motto, that makes any bag still carrying that motto extra special in my book, talon or no talon. I will let you know what I find. I look on eBay daily.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The small duffle number is 220. I have the talon version of the small duffle and love the leather on it, almost reddish brown. It also has the storm flap.
Thanks @ScottyG77. I figured it might be something easy like that, although I figured it was worth asking considering Bedrock Filson changed the build numbers completely with their revised carry-on medium duffel. Any way you can post a picture of your small duffel, I'd love to see it?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 834526

I'm with you. I have exactly the same issues with work trips. Some need more stuff or are longer. Others are short and ideally you just want the single bag.

For me I ended up getting the 48 hr duffle. It's flat not boxy, has great external pockets for organization, and you can get 1x shoes plus clothes plus laptop. You don't even need a laptop sleeve if you pack clothes in around it using a packing cube.

The 48h just about works for only a laptop if you need it to - i.e. during the day. But the laptop does tend to flop around a bit inside the bag.

The alternative is the 258 or zip tote. 258 doesn't really have enough capacity for clothes/ shoes but works well during the day. The tote is great for capacity and day use but lacks the zip pockets for organizing - and assumes you are happy with a tote style.

I've used all 3 of the above and vary between them depending on how I'm feeling. As you know I recently was gifted a 256 and I like it enough that I might try that plus tote on the next trip. I like the "single bag" idea but find that I have so many dongles / cables etc that to keep switching them between bags risks forgetting something.

Lastly - I know what you mean about backpacks. I don't typically find them exciting. However I do like my tin cloth backpack. It feels very Filson. Not super large but will still take a laptop and extras. I use it mostly on my motorcycle. And since we are posting bikes in here (@Neognosis) here is my bobber project that I just sold.
Awesome bike, I love the exhaust wrapping, gives it a real retro racer look.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mgrennier, I would suggest the 48 hour bag over the small duffle for short trips as the vertical profile of the former is better to carry the laptop. And it looks more professional if you have to walk into a professional setting.

Alternately, the Journeyman would carry the laptop and provide enough room for at least one day's change of clothes (no shoes) if you use an Eagle Creek or similar folder. A backpack is also a fairly acceptable briefcase substitute in most work environments. Though I realize you don't like backpacks as much.

Finally, if you want more capacity, you could try this modular approach. You could get a small Pullman and pack your clothing, laptop and flattened laptop bag in there. You would use your briefcase at your destination and then disassemble and place it all in your Pullman when you head to the airport. Assuming your Pullman is still at the hotel and you return before departing to the airport.

nevadabob

Reaction score
I just scoped some of my dad's Filson gear. He has a 266 made in May 2005. Padded shoulder strap.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My vote would also be for the 48 hour bag. I have one and use it more than my duffle.

Yup, I think it's any bag that is tall (48h, Pullman) rather than broad (duffles). So you can lay your files and laptop vertically.

I used to use a very preppy (for a Filson) "large travel tote" that worked perfectly as a "one bag solution" as it was tall and narrow like a big envelope. It was the most complimented of all my Filson actually!

IMG_4303.jpg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just scoped some of my dad's Filson gear. He has a 266 made in May 2005. Padded shoulder strap.
Mind taking a picture of the bag and the build tag, I'd be curious to see what it looks like as google offers little to no help on this longstanding question I have about the 266's debut. I'd love to see what has changed being that my 2010 is still labeled as a 266 and not a 70266, or Filson's new mutant Sportsman (Build # 19928). If they released it in 2005 and it had the paddled shoulder strap than what I assumed prior is right, that the 266 did not feature Talons and pad-less strap.

Even if its not a one-of-a-kind (like my 257), I'll gladly take a barely used 266 that's also 7 years old any day of the week

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I'm now thinking of the 48 hour duffle. I am not a fan of the tin cloth in tan - like it better in navy and possibly green, but the tan just gets dirty (I had a 24 hour in tan and was surprised at how dirty it looked - not a "patina" - just dirty. The 22 oz twill in tan on my 256 is wearing dramatically better - definitely creating more of a patina - and I'm rough as hell on it.)

That's been limiting my ability to like the 48 hour - if they were to come out with that in 22 oz twill - I'd buy it today - but don't really have a love affair with the tin cloth.

That said, I haven't seen a 48 hour in a while, I'd like to take a look at one in person. There aren't any Filson stores where I live and also not a Filson store where I'm traveling to mostly (Chicago). Do you guys know of a good place that has a nice selection of Filson in the Chicago-land area? Ideally something near downtown so I can uber over.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I'm now thinking of the 48 hour duffle. I am not a fan of the tin cloth in tan - like it better in navy and possibly green, but the tan just gets dirty (I had a 24 hour in tan and was surprised at how dirty it looked - not a "patina" - just dirty. The 22 oz twill in tan on my 256 is wearing dramatically better - definitely creating more of a patina - and I'm rough as hell on it.)

That's been limiting my ability to like the 48 hour - if they were to come out with that in 22 oz twill - I'd buy it today - but don't really have a love affair with the tin cloth.

That said, I haven't seen a 48 hour in a while, I'd like to take a look at one in person. There aren't any Filson stores where I live and also not a Filson store where I'm traveling to mostly (Chicago). Do you guys know of a good place that has a nice selection of Filson in the Chicago-land area? Ideally something near downtown so I can uber over.

I remember someone mentioning about a stockist in Chicago, but IIRC it was closing down. You may want to search Chicago in here or in the other Filson thread.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try Kaehler Luggage on North Michigan Avenue. I am surprised Chicago doesn't have a Filson store given Toronto does.

I also greatly prefer twill to the tin cloth for luggage. Having said that, the 48 is a versatile design for business travel. Def better, IMO, than Sportsman or Small Duffle for that purpose.

ScottyG77

Reaction score
Try Kaehler Luggage on North Michigan Avenue. I am surprised Chicago doesn't have a Filson store given Toronto does.

I also greatly prefer twill to the tin cloth for luggage. Having said that, the 48 is a versatile design for business travel. Def better, IMO, than Sportsman or Small Duffle for that purpose.

I am surprised too there isn't a Filson here (Chicago area) yet. I was talking with a filson retail worker in the Minnesota store earlier this year and he was telling me of all the new and pop-up stores coming and he said they are mulling over Chicago (which would be great for me). Heck, I just found out a mall outside of Columbus Ohio is getting a Filson store, before Chicago (not on the list he saw of potential stores). At the very least, it would be awesome if they opened a third outlet store here as we have malls by the same company running the mall where the other 2 outlets are (Simon). I know they have the supply for it....

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@mgrennier - worth calling the 2 outlets perhaps? Didn't Filson just run big discounts on the 48hr and we here speculated they were discontinuing them? If so you might get one cheaper. Not sure on their return policies though..?

I think you have more experience with the tin cloth than me but my 48 and Tin cloth backpack are both breaking in quite nicely. Any dirt I can brush off with a little soap and then spot rewax and it looks good.

All that said if twill is needed don't discount the zip tote!!

ScottyG77

Reaction score
@mgrennier - worth calling the 2 outlets perhaps? Didn't Filson just run big discounts on the 48hr and we here speculated they were discontinuing them? If so you might get one cheaper. Not sure on their return policies though..?

I think you have more experience with the tin cloth than me but my 48 and Tin cloth backpack are both breaking in quite nicely. Any dirt I can brush off with a little soap and then spot rewax and it looks good.

All that said if twill is needed don't discount the zip tote!!

They were hard to come by at the 2 outlets. I got one call after waiting for like 6 months and the price wasn't that great. They only discontinued the black 48. They still sell the tan, otter, and navy at $475....I have a tan 48 and getting a new otter green 48 in soon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads