• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filet mignon

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
great summer dinner: grilled ribeye or skirt, just salt and pepper. sliced after a rest and served over/with an arugula salad and topped with shaved parm.

I do this salad fairly often with flank. I'll add some slices of marinated peppers too.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that sounds great!

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I don't like this method. The bacon is never cooked to my liking and obviously the filet itself, a real prize of a protein, ends up being steamed. It should be served rarest of all the cuts and should have lovely crust.

Although it doesn't have to be super rare, I've had and done many preparations in more classic french cooking that yields what we'd now call about a medium.

+1 I prefer filet rare, and something like rib eye closer to medium rare

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
if I have ribeye, I wont use any sauces, quality meat is tasty enough for me. Just some salt, pepper, and a bit of butter to melt on top as it rests right off the pan.
Just a suggestion, but you should add the butter to the pan in the last minute or so of cooking, and baste the steak as the butter gets browned. Not only will it give a better flavor than fresh butter after cooking, but it will rest better when you aren't placing something cool on the steak just as it comes out.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have to put in a vote for rib cap, not ribeye. If I have a ***** steak, this is the ****. I also like onglet, but really for the strong flavor.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Just a suggestion, but you should add the butter to the pan in the last minute or so of cooking, and baste the steak as the butter gets browned. Not only will it give a better flavor than fresh butter after cooking, but it will rest better when you aren't placing something cool on the steak just as it comes out.

noted for future steak consumption, thanks

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
When the cow gives to you of his meats in my country you must say a blessing to him, for his spirit allow you to take into the body of his meats to make for nourishment of your bones and of your muscles and of your fibers and of the beauty of your wonderful body. For this is the way of God, and this is glorious! I say to the cow spirits, I say thank you cow spirits. I have taken your body that you may give into my flesh your flesh, that you may release into me your wild animal energies to make my sexual prowess pleasing to my womans.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've only recently rediscovered this myself. Was with relatives at the beach in North Carolina ... the first night we had some high quality filet mignon done to perfection ... thanks to a relative taking cooking classes. I had been avoiding it for years ... what a mistake.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
NYStrip>Ribeye>Fillet
And that is how myths are begun.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
And that is how myths are begun.

I suspect the myth is because it is difficult to find high quality filet in American butchers. For example in Southern California (where I stay while in the U.S.), I only know of one place that sells grass fed, prime, aged, filet. For other cuts, like ribeye, it is relatively easy to find a prime, aged piece, especially if it's corn fed.

Off topic, but I am planning on making some steak tartare, and just found that the real/original way to make it is with horse meat. Has anyone had it with horse? Any good recipes?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
I suspect the myth is because it is difficult to find high quality filet in American butchers. For example in Southern California (where I stay while in the U.S.), I only know of one place that sells grass fed, prime, aged, filet. For other cuts, like ribeye, it is relatively easy to find a prime, aged piece, especially if it's corn fed.

Off topic, but I am planning on making some steak tartare, and just found that the real/original way to make it is with horse meat. Has anyone had it with horse? Any good recipes?

Finding good meat is not a problem in NorCal, thankfully. As to horse tartare, a friend of ours in France has made it for us a few times. I hate it. I think the meat is too sweet and odd tasting, but to other people, with different palates, it is a super delicacy. I think you make it basically the same way as you would beef, but make sure to cut it by hand, and not to grind it.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon

I suppose it might make a differance that most of the filet I have had has been since I lived in chicago as my parents aren't really the kind of people who would take me to a steakhouse to celebrate something (although neither would I...I prefer other sorts of places).

As to the butter...I like to do the steak on a hot cast iron skillet for a quick bit on each side and then finish in the oven. I pull it out halfway through the oven section, flip it, and throw a pad on top and this seems to work pretty well.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Finding good meat is not a problem in NorCal, thankfully. As to horse tartare, a friend of ours in France has made it for us a few times. I hate it. I think the meat is too sweet and odd tasting, but to other people, with different palates, it is a super delicacy. I think you make it basically the same way as you would beef, but make sure to cut it by hand, and not to grind it.

Thanks for the tip. I will make sure to cut by hand.

Also, thank for pointing out the timing on the butter when cooking steak. I think I have been putting the butter in too early and basting (at the beginning of the cooking, making it hard to control the butter temperature), and will try to use it more towards the end.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I pull it out halfway through the oven section, flip it, and throw a pad on top and this seems to work pretty well.
What's a pad? As to the bacon wrapped goodness, yes it often comes out closer to well than rare but its all in the cooking method. I had one that was either smoked or rotisserie or some **** but it was delicious. Of course, the type of fillet you can find down here, outside of WholeFoods, is probably going to be on par with Omaha Steaks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads