• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filene's and Century 21

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am 16 and I am buying my first real suit. I am hoping for a Navy, a wide lapel (a Tom Ford, RL type), pinstripe, 1-2 buttons, and has a vest. Now finding that type of suit is not really the issue.

For those of you who have shopped there, how are the discounts, they claim to have everything Brioni, to GA BL, RL, Valentino, Versace, etc. Now is it cheap, that is the question. My parents are buying the suit, so they won't go for something that is probably over $500.

So what are the prices usually for the designer items.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take it easy on the suit, because you are not finished growing yet...once you are full-grown you can start investing on some lasting pieces. If you are in New York, I would try Macy's Herald Square-I bet you could get a decently cut three-piece there for well under $350, which should hold up nicely for the 3-4 times you are likely to wear it before your next growth spurt.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's ok guys, the money is there, I have been 5'11 for the past 3 years, I am finally 6'0. I plan to get one more inch in, but I am starting to have my doubts.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is not the height at all that I would think would change and would concern myself with. But, you will in all likelihood "fill out" much more than you think (or hope).

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate to bump this up, but I am still in need of more opinoins on the two stores.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats a bit bold for a first suit. At your age I wouldn't wear a vest. You could definately get something from ralph lauren at that price. Don't get 1 button it will look stupid.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of young men are sporting three-piece suits nowadays-check out the collection at Bananna Republic. I say it's OK because he is only going to use it for social occasions, dances, etc.

stamp0102

Reaction score
I am a fan of Filene's but have had terrible luck finding any tailored items worth purchasing. They are great for everything else though. I almost always buy something if I go in. Century 21, in my experience, has been garbage. Lot's of tailored stuff, just nothing that peaked my interest. If you have access, also try to hit up a Nordstrom's Rack. They usually have lots of good stuff.

JordanB

Reaction score
Since it's your first suit, I would caution about going to C21 because there will be no one there to help you in terms of fit. Unless one of your parents is very good at that, you'll have a tough time at the discount stores. C21 has guys trying to help you, but they have no idea what they're talking about. FB has associates with slightly more knowledge. Syms might even be a decent bet.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The people who work in the C21 suit section will offer their advice and opinion but they are usually wrong. I spend enough time there that I know.
devil.gif
I guess the same holds true for most other places too, though. In Filene's there is really no one to help you with suit questions.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to Filenes in Manhasset today!, It was heaven, Armani BL, and AC suits $800 down to $200. Brioni from $1000 down to $400. Zegna BL $300. I didn't make a purchase, I made a deal with my mother to pay half for a $300 Armani BL blazer and pay the full $50 for Armani BL pants. I plan to go back end of the month, they may have more stuff then.

playdohh22

Reaction score
I am sixteen, as well. And I don't own a suit. I agree with the others, it would be wise of you not to throw down too much money on a suit, for the time being. Because you're still young and it's promising that you have yet to grow.

I don't have any experience with either stores. But I recall seeing Brioni suits off the rack of Century21 and they are crap that's just overpriced. I mean you could go to Brooks MTM event and have two suits made for you, maybe even three (similar fabrics to there items off the rack), for that price of that.

If I were you, I would personally check in with your local thrift shops, you can sometimes, with luck find some great stuff there at a great price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads