• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feeling pi**ed at shoe dealers! Am I being unreasonable?

Jerry52

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StevenRocks
Without getting too specific about where you actually are, Jerry, how far in the sticks do you live? If you're near a major city, it might be worth your while to find a quality shoe dealer there to evaluate fit and finish of the shoes you like.
Let's just say that the major cities anywhere near me, like Dallas and Kansas City, are still hundreds of miles away, and with family illness getting out of town isn't an option. The only town of any size in my region has about 50,000 population, and the "only" fairly upscale shoe brand in any supply is Allen Edmonds. It seems like even if you're in Alaska you could find an Allen Edmonds dealer! The only other fairly fashionable shoe available here is by Martin Dingman, but they really don't have very many models and I don't think they're unusually well-built, although stylish enough probably. I suppose if I wanted to spend extra money I could go see an orthopedic foot doctor for a current evaluation of my feet and his opinion whether 12-C is still the ideal size. But I want to be cautious about picking a foot doctor without recommendations, because the wrong one could do a lot of damage IMO. Since I'm now 52 I doubt my feet have changed that much for the better or worse.

Jerry52

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmonroestyle
Jerry,

Like you I am extremely flat footed. Since I have a rigid flat foot (rather than a flexible one, I find orthotics or other arch support systems rather uncomfortable. This is why I just abandoned wearing shoes altogether and stick with boots.

All ankle boots do not look the same. For example if you were to wear a blucher cap toe lace up ankle boot it would look exactly like a blucher cap toed shoe when you are standing, as your trousers cover the upper part of the boot. It is only when you are seated that one can even tell you are wearing ankle boots rather than shoes.

Anyway I hope you have success in your quest.

Jess

Jess,

Thanks for taking the time to give me the added perspective on ankle boots. You sure seem like a fan of them! At 52, I'm in the "old dog" range and it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Further, it's conceivable that I would want to wear whatever I choose in an office setting, and it's possible that some employers wouldn't accept ankle boots so readily. However I have learned from what you wrote and I thank you for that. More knowledge is always a positive thing.

Jerry

Jerry52

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Hey Jerry, What shoes are you going to buy?
Acidicboy,

I'm still sweating the details! My selection process is impeded by my remote location and family sickness. Anyway the hunt is half the fun! Because of the input of all the fine folks on this forum, I'm tending to take Mezlan and Pliner out of the running, and availability and pricing problems might force an otherwise stellar candidate Vass out of the mix. I put Alden in just as a reference point since I own them now, and wanted the collective feedback as to whether anything on my proposed list could top them. It's a process of elimination, leaving Gravati, Moreschi, Santoni and if prospects improve, Vass. On the other hand, someone just advised me that Edward Green might work for me, both for fit and price. So, as a friend of mine says, THE PLOT SICKENS!

Jerry

jmonroestyle

Reaction score
Jerry,

You may end up having to scratch Moreschi shoes off your list. I used to wear them and even bought 2 pairs from the Moreschi store in Milan, Italy. They are very well made and good looking shoes. However, a flat footed person may have some trouble with the fit. It may depend on how much of an instep your foot has. I think you may also run into trouble with your width issues with Moreschi.

I know I could not wear them today (my feet have changed quite a bit since my Moreschi days, and even then they were not the best fit for me).

Jerry52

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmonroestyle
Jerry,

You may end up having to scratch Moreschi shoes off your list. I used to wear them and even bought 2 pairs from the Moreschi store in Milan, Italy. They are very well made and good looking shoes. However, a flat footed person may have some trouble with the fit. It may depend on how much of an instep your foot has. I think you may also run into trouble with your width issues with Moreschi.

I know I could not wear them today (my feet have changed quite a bit since my Moreschi days, and even then they were not the best fit for me).

Yes, that comment was seconded on another thread by Norcaltransplant, Jess. It might be a definite fly-in-the-ointment. Some here say that there's no beating the basic comfort of an Alden, so I have to be careful I'm not just buying a "stylish" import with flair but killing my tootsies at the same time!

I wonder if some of these other brands like Vass, Lobb, Gravati, Santoni,Premiata, Buttero, Peluso, Magnanni (the last four have recently been recommended to me) would also be cramped in the toe box area as compared to Alden?

The devil is in the details!

Jerry

StevenRocks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jerry52
Let's just say that the major cities anywhere near me, like Dallas and Kansas City, are still hundreds of miles away, and with family illness getting out of town isn't an option. The only town of any size in my region has about 50,000 population, and the "only" fairly upscale shoe brand in any supply is Allen Edmonds. It seems like even if you're in Alaska you could find an Allen Edmonds dealer!
That does complicate things a bit. Doesn't sound like you'd be able to check out in person.

Major cities are at least 3 hours away form me by car, and I can hop on a bus to New York fairly easy.

Jerry52

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StevenRocks
That does complicate things a bit. Doesn't sound like you'd be able to check out in person.

Major cities are at least 3 hours away form me by car, and I can hop on a bus to New York fairly easy.

Well, getting to NYC would solve the problem! I'm originally from Chicago, but that doesn't help now!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads