• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fay

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I love their "Made from Special Fabric" labels.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Do you really need more outerwear after buying half of O'Connell's last spring?

- B

Not just O'Connell's. I managed to pick some up from the U.K., and also on SF - where I got this one:

[/quote]

But your point is well-taken - I don't think Fay is for me.

frankigia

Reaction score
I think that the quality of Fay products is quite low. I just bought a goose feather down jacket from a high-end store because it looks good. However, it keeps on expelling feathers. Given the price (~1000 US$) and the quality of the product, I cannot recommend this brand to anyone!
My wife has another Fay's product and she likes it. I quite honestly hate mine!

kakpoo

Reaction score
My father used to purchase Fay outerwear 9-12 years ago in Italy while on vacation. I still have some of those jackets and they have "made it Italy" tags. The quality seems good, the styling and fit are excellent. My guess is that as Fay's popularity increased in Italy and international demand grew, they chose to outsource production to cheaper countries to increase their volume, and hit/maintain an affordable price point as inflation drove up italian production costs - or they could have gone overseas after the economy tanked and volumes dwindled just to keep their current prices. The recent economic crisis dried up disposable income in most of the upwardly mobile upper middle class. The aspirations of this class of people and their "on paper' wealth during the late 90's and early 2000's led this class of people on a feeding frenzy for designer goods, this led to the rapid growth in sales for all of the designer brands and began the price inflation. When this large class of people stopped buying designer goods in the late 2000s, designer brands had to dramatically shrink their production volumes. Because they could no longer order clothing in sufficient quantities to take advantage of "economies of scale" the cost per item rose sharply leading the designers to hike up the cost of their goods at a time when everything else for sale was dropping in price. This was not a problem for the ultra-luxury brands, as there were still ultra wealthy people to buy Bugattis, mega-yachts, etc. If Loro Piana and Hermes had to up the anti to stay in business, they still had a small group of customers that would continue to buy clothing even at 3 times the price. However, many of the mid level luxury brands were forced to go overseas to keep their clothes priced appropriately.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads