• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion Mistakes

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willsw
Surprise, I'm the majority of young businessmen's version of dress-shoe!

6627-73923-p.jpg

+1

And from weapons on the feet to weapons on the fingers, I seem to see way too many guys with ummm overly "fancy" jewelry.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cuffs on a jacket that are too long
too many accessories at once (obvious belt, pocket square, necklace, bracelet, loud socks, too many patterns ...............

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black on black... on black.

Specifically, black pants with a black button up and a black tie.

BYucko

Reaction score
I've seen black on black on black on black on black on black with black sunglasses done quite well. A very sleek, smooth, Matrix-esque look, although it's not done too well too often.

JetBlast, much agreed on the teen clothing. Like I've always said, they're walking advertisements. I'd add Armani Exchange to that list too.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 76classic
Also, large women who wear tight low rise jeans with their belly button exposed. They have that whole muffin thing going on around the waist area.
Hah definitely. Tonight I saw a girl bend over and her torn threadbare panties were showing. LMAO
Originally Posted by Tarmac
646p2wz.jpg
4p4gb4k.jpg
5zr20dj.jpg

Say what you will about Brees' suit, he's got a nice accessory.. I think Jerry looks pretty damn cool. Are those Crown Royal bags for pockets?!
Originally Posted by odoreater
Tassle loafers with suits.
angry.gif
In fact, tassle loafers in general.

I never understood the tassle loafer phenomenon. Tassles should only be seen at the strip club.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Black on black... on black.

Specifically, black pants with a black button up and a black tie.

I don't mind all black. I think it looks much better than black on black on black on black on WHITE tie! kill me.

Leslierc

Reaction score
Tatoos (My daughter just had her boyfriend's name tatooed on her back).

Wearing sneakers with suits or, even worse, with a tux.

Wearing too much jewelry.

Oversize watches.

Men with earings.

Did I say tatoos?

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nose studs on professional personal......

millionaire75

Reaction score
I have to agree with Will.....the shoes are the biggest mistake.....you'd be REAL hard pressed to find a pair of dress shoes the likes of which you see on here......they don't necessarily have to be Lobbs/EG/AE etc, but the classic dress shoe may be harder to find than a guy wearing a tie these days......I would say almost 95% (maybe more) of the guys I see on the train/subway everyday (all age groups) wear some variation of a clunky/squaretoed/patent leather shine shoe.....even when I see a guy that is well dressed, clothes fitting well, etc....more often than not they are wearing some kenneth cole reaction lug...

on a side note, the macy's near me doesn't even have the tailor come out and fit you anymore....they have one of the poorly dressed salesman do it.....I had this 22 year old kid that had no idea what he was doing.....I insisted the tailor come out and fit me, to say the least...I'm sure Macy's made a business decision based on the fact that so few men today have any idea what proper fit is and would be happy with what the salesman said is the right fit....

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Thom Brown or Gucci avant-guarde creations or anything avant-guarde...

Tan shoes with midnight blue suits or even worse black suits...

Loafers with tassels with everything....I have one pair of them and i do hate them...

Men wearing suits to big for them with sleeves covering their wrists...

Pictures of ephebes from the Sartorialist.....

Louis Vuitton or Gucci loafers or anything with massive logos...

Men wearing football shirts....

Women or men with tatoos .......

Hmmm, I think that is about it. I guess "anything with massive logos" already includes Carolina Herrera...
The thing with the long sleeves on suits and sport coats is maybe what most catches my attention. It is so common!
(Well, in summer, I would add the following mistake: suit worn with short-sleeved shirt).

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just to add a few more

- belt a few sizes too big (very common mistake)
- wrinkled pants / jacket
- dirty shoes
- untrimmed neck
- long / dirty fingernails
- tie too long (I actually don't mind a shorter tie)
- holes in socks
- cheap (sun)glasses...

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 76classic
Also, large women who wear tight low rise jeans with their belly button exposed. They have that whole muffin thing going on around the waist area.

I would say most people wearing low rise jeans...
Maybe 10% of the fit young girls look sexy with that outfit, but the rest...
Also, among those looking sexy, 50% have some strange tattoos that may make them look even more sexy now, but I do not even want to think about what it will look like when they are 40...
Now, obviously, being 45 I should know to keep my mouth shut and not give any opinions on the young folks way of dressing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads