• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion Mistakes

matt22616

Reaction score
It is impossible to rush a wardrobe. Wardrobes mature with the man.

Originally Posted by AB01
I seem to have some of the basic mistakes that the average Joe would have, BUT rushing into creating a woredrobe had me create more mistakes. All StyleForum newbies should be warned about this.
For example, for jeans, I bought 4 pairs (including two of the same one) before I bought the one that was right for me. Similar issue with other clothing items. I spent more on the stuff I can't wear than on the stuff I do.
frown.gif

1. Pre-SF: Black slacks. Always black slacks. Wore them until they were pale and continued to wear them. I thought of them as dress clothes, but they were as casual as can be being all tattered, wrinkled and faded.

2. Pre-SF: Tent shirts. Didn't know about slim fit.

3. Pre-SF: My old highschool look which was a T shirt with a big baggy buttondown over it, but unbuttoned.

4. Pre-SF and Post-SF: Crewnecks as undershirts instead of v-neck.

6. Pre-SF and Post-SF: Cheap shoes and cheap belts. In fact, the low-end pair of shoes cost more than the good shoes I am buying now. Sales and ebay make having good shoes possible.
StyleForum really messed me up on the belts (somehow I bought some croc patterns that looked so fake). Read too many posts by Manouche.

7. Post-SF: Black socks.

8. Post-SF: Being talked into stuff by salespeople when it really doesn't look right.

9. Post-SF: Buying up a lot of supposed basics (like ties in all different solid colours) that I really didn't need. Ties were all too wide anyways.

10. Post-SF: Too many sport shirts (think Guess Jeans) that cannot be worn outside a club, and I don't even really club.

11. Post-SF: Items from eBay like watches that only look good in pictures. Now, everytime I want to buy something online, I search for pictures of the real item being worn rather than beautiful closeups.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
It's a common fallacy to assume that "celebrity status" automatically comes with style sense. Other than having better looks and having lots of press coverage, these "celebrities" are no better than Joe Average.

...unless you are George Clooney...

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two words: Kenneth Cole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads