• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fabric stretch: figured this was the right forum (since it's a pair of "jeans")

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read with interest (and learned a lot from) threads about denim stretch, and what to expect, and the guys on this board seem to know a lot about how different fabrics will stretch with wear. Here's a new one:

Light weight cotton poplin pants, in a five pocket "jeans" cut, but the material is 3% polyester. I assume the poly is to help the pants hold their shape seeing how light weight they are, but I'm wondering what that means as far as stretch.

I tried two sizes and a 31 was the right waist, and they looked OK, but they were a bit tight in the leg and seat and not the most comfortable for walking (going on a trip where I'll be walking a lot and sitting on some planes for a lonnnnng time). The 32 was very comfortable, but a little big in the waist.

I picked up the 32, but before committing for sure, I am curious what to expect and whether I'd have been better off with the 31. Were these cotton jeans, I'd have gone 31, but my gut told me to expect less stretch from these, though I welcome opinions either supporting or running contrary to that assumption.

*#..

Reaction score
Three 1-star ratings and only 1 person has responded.
ffffuuuu.gif

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Poly is there to make the fabric retain color better. As far as stretch, no way for us to tell.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I love my lindebeg jeans with 2% stretch. Look/feel/act identical to 100% cotton black denim but have been way more durable and maintained shape through washings and 4 years ago wear. If i happen to be up like 5-10 lbs i can feel it but the waistband will accommodate and if i drop that weight and wash them they'll be back to normal and stay that way. Don't mess with sizing, just get something that looks good on you imo

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
You were the one who had the pants, not us. Poly can be stretchy or rigid. No way to know just by saying "polyester"

Agreed. The only way to tell for sure is to cut the pants into small squares and send each one to a board member, so we can evaluate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads