• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Express Suits - The Good, The Bad, and Everything Else In Between

Johnny24

Reaction score
Whoever the vendor for Express is that posted +1, their fabric is crapola these days. H&M is killing them on quality and over all style. Express feels like a stop off in a wannabe Christino Ronaldo's closet.

I have two ties in the closet from Express from 5-10 years ago, and the quality isn't SF approved but it was reasonable for a mall brand. Their ties were once made in the USA out of decent silk. I would say those older ties I own are on par with some of average ties you find in a Nordstrom type store today. I also have a few pairs of odd pants from there and BR (which actually are about 10 years old), that are much higher quality than anything either store makes today.

I bought a cotton suit from Express last fall for under $100 in a pinch for a summer outdoor wedding. It isn't bad but it is pretty hard to muss up a cotton suit, and to be frank if someone spilled a glass of red wine on it, I would not have cared in the least. It served it purpose and it will do that again if I need to wear it to another summer this year where I feel the risk will be high for drinks to be flying or bottles to be popping. I also have a grey suit from Express that bought in 2007 for the same purpose, to be used as a beater suit for weddings and college formals where rowdy behavior is the norm. That is a wool and synthetic blend, it is total crap. After about three dry cleanings the back developed a funky roll and I can safely say it was a waste of money, even at $150.00.

Saltricks

Reaction score
My first suit was bought at express. Biggest waste of money ever. It feels stretchy and cheap

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gwarg
There is a positive correlation between number of posts and a dislike for express.

Hey now, speak for yourself. Some of us actually had taste before SF. The last time I bought something from Express was when their men's store was still called "Structure" (I was 18).

bjornb17

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gwarg
There is a positive correlation between number of posts and a dislike for express.

I was thinking the same thing, but you say it with much more tact than I ever could

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the only good thing about express is that their shirts and sweaters fit me very well. It is one of the only off the rack brands where I wouldn't have to get the shirt tailored further after I buy it. My reccomendation for Express be to buy the cheapest shirt from them that fits you so you can send it to an online MTM company or give to a tailor for a pattern (If necessary. Obviously, advice for small timers). I would buy more sweaters and cardigans from them if they didn't have that stupid logo on the chest.

Johnny24

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
Hey now, speak for yourself. Some of us actually had taste before SF. The last time I bought something from Express was when their men's store was still called "Structure" (I was 18).

Actually I think one of the two ties I am talking about is from when they were "Structure" but they were changing over into "Express" for the labeling and store signage, or at least pretty close to that time frame in my hometown mall.

allennat

Reaction score
Sorry for reviving a dead thread but it was the newest thread I can find on the topic of express..
I currently have a blazer and two suits from express boughtduring sale times, I like the cotton blazer but the fabric of the suits are hard and itchy.

I see everyone hating on express but not giving a good replacement .
H&m does not fit me, they tend to have long arms and to tight of chests, plus the fabric of their button ups are almost see through.

We don't have a Zara yet, so I'm not sure about them.

So in that express price range what would you recommend for a better place to shop?
I know a lot like j crew but, their suits are about $400
2x price of express

Looking for a good budget friendly button up shirt, and blazer/suits
I generally wear jeans, dress shirt , blazer
Or pants
Or plain v neck
No logos no graphics

yelnatasch517

Reaction score
Sorry for reviving a dead thread but it was the newest thread I can find on the topic of express..
I currently have a blazer and two suits from express boughtduring sale times, I like the cotton blazer but the fabric of the suits are hard and itchy.

I see everyone hating on express but not giving a good replacement .
H&m does not fit me, they tend to have long arms and to tight of chests, plus the fabric of their button ups are almost see through.

We don't have a Zara yet, so I'm not sure about them.

So in that express price range what would you recommend for a better place to shop?
I know a lot like j crew but, their suits are about $400
2x price of express

Looking for a good budget friendly button up shirt, and blazer/suits
I generally wear jeans, dress shirt , blazer
Or pants
Or plain v neck
No logos no graphics
I am 5'10" 140lbs, fairly thin.

I have the same question. Every dress shirt I've seen besides Express has 10" of extra material around the waist, even the slim cuts.
I have no idea why manufacturers do that. Anyone notice how much material is pinned behind a mannequin in a store? Why don't manufacturers make shirts to properly fit mannequins in the first place? Why do manufacturers produce dress shirts with a 40" waist when it's designed to be worn by people with a 30" waist?

Can someone recommend a better dress shirt with a similar fit to Express extra slim line? For best fit, I actually wear a small in Express extra slim line. Everything fits on that shirt except the collar.

If MTM is my best bet, anyone able to recommend a shop in the Los Angeles area?

yelnatasch517

Reaction score
What suit brand is better than Express?
There's a lot of comments on how their quality sucks, but what are the alternatives?

I have yet to find a proper fitting suit that fits like Express.
For reference, I am 5'10" 140lbs and the only dress shirt that is closest to a proper fit to date that I've tried is Express Extra Slim Small.
The only thing that doesn't fit is the neck.

Why do manufacturers feel the need to give what seems like 40" waist on a dress shirt when a proper suit size has a 6"-10" drop?
This means that a size 36 dress shirt should measure 30" around the waist at most with maybe +2" for a bit of slack, not an extra 10"...

Stores know this and that is why they pin this extra material behind the mannequins.
The problem is no real person would wear it like that with pins.

So for here are the price brackets I'm interested in for recommendations.
As reference, I purchase my Express suits for somewhere between $150 to $250.

Under $300
$300 to $600
$600 to $1000
$1000 to $2000

I'm surprised there isn't a sticky with this information. I'm willing to bit hundreds of members come here asking these same questions every few months.

I forgot to mention that I prefer the European style of suits. Those are proper fitting suits. Americans aren't "conservative." Most are just fat and find excuses for their lack of choices in style. I am American, by the way, so I witness the rampant obesity everyday.

Last edited:

jrs1985

Reaction score
I got a suit from express from there. I rather like mine and the cut. However, I did get it on sale and had a coupon. I don't think it was worth the full price. I think I paid $150 in the end?

rickrone

Reaction score
the cut is nice, but they are garbage. they won't last and they use inferior material. look for a wool suit

wing8tesqw

Reaction score
I like express. I buy the stretch cotton dress pants. you can try zara in the same dollar range.

You can spend more (boss, theory, ect) but imo only the price goes up and maybe slight variations in design and material. Presuming your going for modern/trendy slim cut suit.
Better.. in your $100-$200 range... you need an outlet , 2nd hand, or deal of a lifetime kinda shopping.

Sorry, but quality is very difficult to discern and some people are harder on clothes than others. So if wherever you intend to wear this suit, an express suit will fit in, serve its purpose, or stand out in a good way, then buy it.

i think this information is pinned somewhere. Search the "ultimate slim fit guide" or something to that effect...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads