1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Express Suits - The Good, The Bad, and Everything Else In Between

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Dinky89484, Dec 22, 2010.

1. JG000

JG000 Senior member

On the other hand, Express has some really great slim fit shirts and with some coupons, you can grab them really cheap.

+1

2. Dinky89484

Dinky89484 Senior member

I will say I own about 5 Express Skinny Ties. I think their tie patterns are pretty legit.

3. Patek

Patek Senior member

Their dress shirts are cotton, not spandex. Also, I go through dress shirts quick and Express' slim fit shirts are slim and relatively inexpensive. As far as quality goes? You get what you pay for. At regular price, maybe not a great buy, but Express' dress shirts are always on sale. For the above average (or average) height, skinny-athletic build guy, Express' shirt ain't bad for the dough.

You really need to save your money and buy a good supina shirt. My new favorite is BB Black Fleece. Wait for a sale and pick up one of those, you will be hooked. Those things are thicker than my 1500 threadcount sheets and they just get softer with wear and washing.

I picked up my first one in their sale section and I liked it so much that I went and bought another at full price--truely shocking for me.

4. Gwarg

Gwarg Senior member

There is a positive correlation between number of posts and a dislike for express.

5. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Anyone who thinks Express sells good "dress" (I use this term loosely) shirts, clearly hasn't tried anything else. I used to wear their MX shirts before I knew any better, and they are by far the crappiest shirts I have ever worn. You can get a Merona shirt at Target that will be higher quality and will last longer than anything from Express. If you want a good entry-level dress shirt at a decent price, you're much better off trying Charles Tyrwhitt or TM Lewin, which both have frequent sales.

6. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

I did a bunch of searches on this forum for info on Express Suits but came up empty. Anyone with feedback on Express Suits? All opinions welcomed. Thanks in advance!

I'll pile on here and say to avoid anything Express. I've owned one suit, three shirts, and a tie. The suit is just a plain black suit I bought for $30 from Gabriel Bros, the shirts were between $20-30. I gave the shirts to Goodwill because they wrinkle like nothing I've ever seen and generally just felt and looked cheap. The suit wouldn't have been awful for $30, but I had to sink another $70 into tailoring. At $100, Express suits are overpriced. Cut is not awful, but fabric and construction is on par with what you'd find at JC Penney's. Not even Macy's or Men's Wearhouse quality. The only time my Express suit gets pulled out of the closet is for funerals.

7. aphextwin07

aphextwin07 Senior member

I did a bunch of searches on this forum for info on Express Suits but came up empty. Anyone with feedback on Express Suits? All opinions welcomed. Thanks in advance!

express and suits in the same sentence sounds like a recipe for failure.

8. rgoldstein

rgoldstein Senior member

There is nothing that you are doing that is making you go through dress shirts quickly. If you bought higher quality dress shirts, then they would last a lot longer. Plain and simple.

+1

Also, don't their dress shirts only come in S, M, L, etc?

How is that a dress shirt?

9. JG000

JG000 Senior member

I will say I own about 5 Express Skinny Ties. I think their tie patterns are pretty legit.
    Agreed. Love their ties. They rolled out some wool neckwear this season
    Zara and H&M have a much higher standard in fabric and garment manufacturing.. These companies are fashion where Express is about profit & not quality..
    Oh please. Cut the rhetoric. Maybe Express employs more cost-cutting measures, but to imply one store is strictly for profit while the other two are a charity is asinine.

1 person likes this.
  10. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

When I was 20 (2005), Express 1MX shirts were often on sale for $20 and even for that price I think they are subpar. The 1MX shirts should be avoided because they wear out quickly, but their broadcloth shirts hold up much better. I also had an Express grey suit jacket (before I knew the difference between an orphaned jacket and an odd jacket) that I got on clearance for about $60 and for the price it was okay as well (for a person in their very early 20s). At 25, however, I do not and would not wear Express.

11. Johnny24

Johnny24 Senior member

Whoever the vendor for Express is that posted +1, their fabric is crapola these days. H&M is killing them on quality and over all style. Express feels like a stop off in a wannabe Christino Ronaldo's closet.

I have two ties in the closet from Express from 5-10 years ago, and the quality isn't SF approved but it was reasonable for a mall brand. Their ties were once made in the USA out of decent silk. I would say those older ties I own are on par with some of average ties you find in a Nordstrom type store today. I also have a few pairs of odd pants from there and BR (which actually are about 10 years old), that are much higher quality than anything either store makes today.

I bought a cotton suit from Express last fall for under $100 in a pinch for a summer outdoor wedding. It isn't bad but it is pretty hard to muss up a cotton suit, and to be frank if someone spilled a glass of red wine on it, I would not have cared in the least. It served it purpose and it will do that again if I need to wear it to another summer this year where I feel the risk will be high for drinks to be flying or bottles to be popping. I also have a grey suit from Express that bought in 2007 for the same purpose, to be used as a beater suit for weddings and college formals where rowdy behavior is the norm. That is a wool and synthetic blend, it is total crap. After about three dry cleanings the back developed a funky roll and I can safely say it was a waste of money, even at $150.00.

12. Saltricks

Saltricks Senior member

My first suit was bought at express. Biggest waste of money ever. It feels stretchy and cheap

13. Patek

Patek Senior member

There is a positive correlation between number of posts and a dislike for express.

Hey now, speak for yourself. Some of us actually had taste before SF. The last time I bought something from Express was when their men's store was still called "Structure" (I was 18).

14. bjornb17

bjornb17 Senior member

I was thinking the same thing, but you say it with much more tact than I ever could

15. landshark

landshark Senior member

I think the only good thing about express is that their shirts and sweaters fit me very well. It is one of the only off the rack brands where I wouldn't have to get the shirt tailored further after I buy it. My reccomendation for Express be to buy the cheapest shirt from them that fits you so you can send it to an online MTM company or give to a tailor for a pattern (If necessary. Obviously, advice for small timers). I would buy more sweaters and cardigans from them if they didn't have that stupid logo on the chest.

16. Johnny24

Johnny24 Senior member

Hey now, speak for yourself. Some of us actually had taste before SF. The last time I bought something from Express was when their men's store was still called "Structure" (I was 18).

Actually I think one of the two ties I am talking about is from when they were "Structure" but they were changing over into "Express" for the labeling and store signage, or at least pretty close to that time frame in my hometown mall.

17. allennat

allennat Active Member

3x post from ipad sorry

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  18. allennat

allennat Active Member

3x post from ipad sorry

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  19. allennat

allennat Active Member

Sorry for reviving a dead thread but it was the newest thread I can find on the topic of express..
    I currently have a blazer and two suits from express boughtduring sale times, I like the cotton blazer but the fabric of the suits are hard and itchy.

I see everyone hating on express but not giving a good replacement .
    H&m does not fit me, they tend to have long arms and to tight of chests, plus the fabric of their button ups are almost see through.

We don't have a Zara yet, so I'm not sure about them.

So in that express price range what would you recommend for a better place to shop?
    I know a lot like j crew but, their suits are about $400
    2x price of express

Looking for a good budget friendly button up shirt, and blazer/suits
    I generally wear jeans, dress shirt , blazer
    Or pants
    Or plain v neck
    No logos no graphics

20. yelnatasch517

yelnatasch517 New Member

I am 5'10" 140lbs, fairly thin.

I have the same question. Every dress shirt I've seen besides Express has 10" of extra material around the waist, even the slim cuts.
    I have no idea why manufacturers do that. Anyone notice how much material is pinned behind a mannequin in a store? Why don't manufacturers make shirts to properly fit mannequins in the first place? Why do manufacturers produce dress shirts with a 40" waist when it's designed to be worn by people with a 30" waist?

Can someone recommend a better dress shirt with a similar fit to Express extra slim line? For best fit, I actually wear a small in Express extra slim line. Everything fits on that shirt except the collar.

If MTM is my best bet, anyone able to recommend a shop in the Los Angeles area?