• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exercising using watts as metric

Syl

Reaction score
I was recently browsing a website about the giro (Italian tour de France) and they mentioned the athletes measure output using 'watts'.
I checked it out at the bikes at my gym and they do display watts generated.

Does anyone measure their cardio this way? What would be a good target? E.g. 200 watts for 30min?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Around 750 watts is one horsepower. I'm not sure why you would want to use watts instead of what you're using now.

Target? Sort of depends on the sort of training you're doing.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FAIK only cyclists and rowers measure watts (power output) in training. Not sure if the measurement is meaningful for other sports.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kayakers measure in watts on the erg too - pretty much any sport with ergs will use it at high levels (so wheelchair racing as well probably) It's useful if you have the scientific framework to make those numbers meaningful...

(ie: increasing wattage by X will result in Y speed gain. Assuming speed is your goal. If its something else, well then, not so much.)

Syl

Reaction score
My apologies - wasn't clear.
I mostly cycle (to/from work) for fitness, but on driving days (or winter) I either spin or just jump on stationary bikes. I don't really use a target per se, I just either maintain a HR or just pick a pre-programmed route on the bikes.
Never really bothered tracking anything much further.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads