• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ET's Hidden Camera Exposé: Ugly Vanessa - Turn on Your TV

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't even find her that attractive without the fat make-up.

At any rate, Dr. Phil did this same thing not long ago as well. He got his Playboy Playmate marrying son to dress up as an extremely ugly and rather creepy dude and then sent him out in the world. What shocking knowledge did we derive from this experiment?

Well, guys who look like they might molest you are treated more poorly than the wealthy, attractive, Playboy Playmate marrying sons of celebrities are. I know, I was surprised as well.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People don't want to believe that they are liked primarily for how they look.

ATM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thisisme
MY T SHARP hahahaha
Soon to be renamed "The Three Putzes".
lol8[1].gif

Englandmj7

Reaction score
I wonder if men will start dating large women everywhere in hopes of them shedding their costumes on the first night to reveal a gorgeous woman underneath.......

moral of the story is:

Be nice to big women, they may be wearing a costume and be ridiculously attractive underneath......or so you will tell yourself every night.......

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tip about a Dr. Phil episode has led to this. The segment about the son isn't terribly surprising, but expect some of the other segments to shock you.
http://www.drphil.com/shows/show/568

Further gratitude to anyone who can find videotape of the show online.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sheesh.

It would be much more interesting if they took an ugly person and made them beautiful, and then gathered results.

The important issue here is the two-way cause-effect relationship between looks and self-esteem.

You look bad, it makes you feel worse about yourself.
You look good, it makes you feel better about yourself.

You feel bad about yourself, it makes you look worse.
You feel good about yourself, it makes you look better.

With very few exceptions, that's the way it works. Self-image is almost always bound together with self-esteem.

Further, in my experience, how much you allow outside opinions to affect your self-image is primarily dependent on how high your self-esteem is to begin with. If self-image is a major issue to a particular person's self-esteem, that makes it even more imperative for that person to do the work it takes to make him/herself look better, giving them a boost that can carry them into an upward spiraling positive feedback loop, away from dependence on the approval of others.

/andrew - has a large self-help library.
laugh.gif

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by faustian bargain
sheesh.

It would be much more interesting if they took an ugly person and made them beautiful, and then gathered results.

The important issue here is the two-way cause-effect relationship between looks and self-esteem.

You look bad, it makes you feel worse about yourself.
You look good, it makes you feel better about yourself.

You feel bad about yourself, it makes you look worse.
You feel good about yourself, it makes you look better.

With very few exceptions, that's the way it works. Self-image is almost always bound together with self-esteem.

Further, in my experience, how much you allow outside opinions to affect your self-image is primarily dependent on how high your self-esteem is to begin with. If self-image is a major issue to a particular person's self-esteem, that makes it even more imperative for that person to do the work it takes to make him/herself look better, giving them a boost that can carry them into an upward spiraling positive feedback loop, away from dependence on the approval of others.

/andrew - has a large self-help library.
laugh.gif

It sounds like you might be familiar with Thomas Cash. Conselle has used that kind of knowledge as the basis for charts and other materials about the circular relationship among body image, self-esteem, etc.

As for making an ugly person good-looking and observing subsequent behaviors, there used to be The Swan and Extreme Makeover. Of course, transformations are extremely costly, and anyone familiar with those shows knows that results often are unnatural and thus not so attractive. Non-surgical improvement, meanwhile, usually is not enough to make a homely person attractive.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone kept watching? While last week's segments were quite predictable, the Monday segment was somewhat surprising (though not the end result), and the Tuesday segment looked promising. This week's undercover 'findings' should be repeated on Saturday.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Monday episode, yes, which requires mentioning the episode prior to it. Blonde, slim Vanessa was let in immediately (moved past the line entirely), then allowed to bring in friends of her choice and given great seats. Later someone in management gushed to her about how valuable to the club beautiful women such as her are. On Monday, Ugly Vanessa was shown arriving with friends and being made to wait, basically, until she went away. That was in spite of her politely offering to reserve hundreds of dollars worth of drinks and essentially being told that someone would come over and grant her entry.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I've seen several parts of this ET series and I must say, I find it to be incredibly stupid and hypocritical. Really, fat and unattractive people are treated worse than skinny, attractive people - especially in situations that pride themselves on shallow exclusivity, i.e. nightclubs, expensive shops and basically the entire entertainment industry.

What's so hypocritical about this is the fact that Entertainment Tonight is one of the main parts of the all-celebrity, all beautiful people, all the time media outlets that create and promote this type of crap in the world today.

If ET really wants to do something about this, why not actually hire a correspondent or host who does not fit the Hollywood standards of beauty rather than just making someone up to look that way.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford

If ET really wants to do something about this, why not actually hire a correspondent or host who does not fit the Hollywood standards of beauty rather than just making someone up to look that way.

because then nobody would watch.
laugh.gif
it's a funny self-reflexive problem.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the entertainment industry has contributed to the problem.

The low point of the exposÃ
00a9.png
was the end, when Vanessa Minnillo made a little speech about judging people on their exteriors. It was total fluff. To make an impact, it should have contained concrete advice, such as "Teach your children by example" or "Join mass boycotts against retailers that discriminate on appearance."

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we can all do our part by swearing off 'babe' threads and pics like this:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dont know, I like beautiful people and being around beautiful people. Also in my experience I have been around shallow, horribly ugly people more than shallow, horrible good looking people. Ugly people woul get better treatment if they stopped looking or acting ugly. Look at seal (now married to Heidi) born with disfiguring disease, but has good style and is always smiling. And voila he's filthy rich and bedding a beautiful woman.

Its all in the attitude

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads