• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Essential Outerwear Pieces Every Man Should Own in the Northeast?

Station

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cimabue
I can't warm up to a duffel, either. 'Can't put my finger on the reason why. I mean, I came around to liking the monkstrap shoe so you'd think it would be a short hop. Maybe it's my dislike for General Montgomery.
It's just too casual and trad (at least in the US) for me. I often cherry pick from the trad world, but the duffel would simply look odd when paired with 95% of my outfits. I'll leave it to the guys at Ivy Style.

wrenhunter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bartolo
A nice trench with a removeable lining will serve you well in Boston.
Agreed. I would say a trench and a heavy overcoat would suffice if we're just talking office & suits. For casual wear, add a light jacket for May - Oct and your choice of peacoat/leather/field coat for late fall, early spring, and the rare (but delightful) thaws.

mr.loverman

Reaction score
At the very least you would need a nice trench that is waterproof for rainy days and a heavy overcoat for really cold days. If its really cold it won't be raining. For days that are wet and cold but not freezing just use layers such as wool/cashmere waistcoats and sweaters and such under your trench.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good info on the trench for Boston. I think I'll keep a closer eye out on the classic lined trench in navy or tan, instead of going the Barbour route.

And I definitely need a 3/4 length overcoat from what I hear.

I do have the Shearling coat now, which is good since my company doesn't require suits, so a waist length shearling coat should get some solid wear

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Will be moving to Boston area sometime next year ....

All you need is a ski jacket from North Face, wear it from December utill March, then switch to your stylish assortment of fleece jackets. This wardrobe will insure that you are in top 10% of the most stylish Bostonians.

wmb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
All you need is a ski jacket from North Face, wear it from December utill March, then switch to your stylish assortment of fleece jackets. This wardrobe will insure that you are in top 10% of the most stylish Bostonians.
I agree with this actually... Boston is not a fashion town, it is a college town. There may be a few SF'rs there that are really an anomaly... North Face, Patagonia and 'granola' is usual fare...

caligula455

Reaction score
having moved from Texas to Boston myself, the biggest challenge won't be winter, its spring and fall which are seasons Texas doesn't really have. many months of chilly but not cold rainy days. its the fall and spring jackets that will get the most use. winter is certainly snowy and cold, but a good overcoat takes care of that.

most importantly, what's going to be your shovel-a-foot-of-snow-off-the-driveway-so-it-doesn't-freeze-over-in-the-morning coat? thats where you need the down ski jacket.

tobinbridge

Reaction score
Nail on the head!

Originally Posted by Pezzaturra

I live/work in Boston, and use the following to guard myself from our lovely weather and subway seats.

Business:
Wool/ Cashmere 3/4 length coat in charcoal
Cotton 3/4 length trench coat in Khaki
Harris Tweed hacking jacket worn w/ scarf, sweater, and gloves
Maple Brigg

Casual:
USN Issued Pea coat in Navy
Biker jacket

Arcteryx and North Face are used while snowboarding in Maine.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Some ideas:

- Cordings Covert Coat with a velvet collar
- Burberry or Aquascutum trench coat whichs falls to or below the knee
- Gloverall 'monty' duffle coat
- Baracuta G9 harrington in either slim or regular fit
- Sterlingwear 'Authentic' Pea Coat

Just some ideas. There's a 'chesterfield' missing from there but I don't know what the staple brand is.

jc138

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epb
I'm in Chicago, which might be a bit colder than Boston. I've gotten by for the last decade

- one full-length cashmere, dark gray (evening out, below freezing)
- car length leather (below freezing, wet)
- car length raincoat (above freezing wet)
- car length wool (below freezing, dry)

I prefer car-length because, well, I'm usually driving and the Z4 M Coupe seating position makes the longer coat a hassle, though the Smart would be no trouble.

This is a good list for the bare minimum, although I would switch car length leather for peacoat, as a matter of preference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads