• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Essential camping gear? aerobed? cot? etc. specific items

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Want to start camping again this year, havent done it since my teens... however would like to be doing it comfortably, and not really roughing it. Gotta get all new gear, but not really sure what to be getting or what particular brands/items, so far the list includes:

tent
aero bed or cot (want a really nice comfotable one)
large cooler
canopy w/ screen, fan, push lights
folding table
fan for tent
stove
headlamp
good flash light

any reccomendations for specific items?

Hannerhan

Reaction score
A lot depends on the situation. Based on your list it appears that you will be camping out of a car, as opposed to backpacking? So don't bother getting a bunch of expensive lightweight stuff. In this case your flashlight, tent, bag, etc can all be relatively cheap/bulky and you'll be fine.

Other stuff you didn't mention that I always take along: an 110w inverter for the car to plug stuff in when needed (air beds, chargers, etc), good camp chairs and at least one quality folding table for food prep, lockable trunks for food (to keep the bears and other critters out of your goods), some good firestarting equipment including real charcoal for cooking, and lots of beer.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, I should have been more specific, will def. be camping out of a car, but sometimes would like to backpack camp...

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A credit card and a list of hotels. The number of a good limousine service if you're really stuck in the middle of nowhere.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A credit card and a list of hotels. The number of a good limousine service if you're really stuck in the middle of nowhere.

ha, that has been my thoughts exactly but looking to change it up a bit, I remember having a blast camping years ago... cant be that bad, especially if done right...not to mention nothing like drinking beers out in the woods around a fire... never been big on the hotel experience anyway.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think only the bare essentials are necessary. At least that's what camping is about for me.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For car camping:

I always like a two burner stove. I'm done with white gas and recommend a basic canister propane twin burner stove.

Add to that a lantern that will use the exact same propane cartriges and then always carry a few extras.

As far as a tent, if it is for two people, get a 3 or 4 man tent. Unless you are backpacking in the wilds you want some room. And get a tarp to place under it for protection.

Hatchet and folding saw

Large cooler

Water jugs

Campsites never have seating near the fire pits. Bring a few folding chairs

I really like to cook and eat well when camping. Take time to assemble a "kitchen in a box". Get small plastic container of spices, olive oil, salt, pepper, bread crumbs, etc. along with pancake mix, syrup, spatula, carving knife, large fork, salad bowl, stew pot, frying pan, can opener, cork screw, dishes and clean up stuff -dish soap, Brillo, paper towels, coat hangers for smores. I even have a small espresso maker for my morning latte.

Of course good wine and beer.

A guitar

Headlamp

long rope to hang stuff for drying, your lantern, etc.

Air mattresses are Ok but I much prefer bolder pads. They don't move around.

A warm girlfriend.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spend a lot of time camping. When I'm backpacking or climbing, I go for a minimalist approach, carrying the least possible stuff.

When, I'm car camping, I go to the other end of the spectrum. My ideal paradigm is that of the 19th Century English officer on campaign in India.

The advice in the previous post is pretty much spot-on.

2 Burner propane stoves are good, as mentioned above.

I would not bother with a propane lantern, however. A good LED lantern such as this one is more practical:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Titan-Lantern/dp/B002UPWCAO

Folding chairs are key. Some very comfortable and compact chairs are the Kermit Chairs (get the leg extensions)

http://www.kermitchair.com/

Alps Mountaineering also makes some nice chairs, tables, mattresses and cots:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~alps/

If you're truly serious about camping, get a refrigerator, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/ARB-10800472-Fridge-Freezer-Quart/dp/B002Q1INDM

A refrigerator makes cooking and eating much better, as you can keep food cold without the hassles of an ice chest.

A screen room can save you from bugs:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=03EWCNY4E5P8QGMY88T5

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice thread....

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'd bring a hotel along.

LOL

Seriously, though:

grilling grate - the whole process of cooking over a fire takes practice and you can either put a flat grate onto some leveled rocks over the fire or get one with legs
set of long tongs - a campfire with which you are cooking is usually a ******* inferno
heavy-duty aluminum foil - this is the "duct tape" of camp cooking
cheap set of Kuhn Rikon knives with protective sheaths
short axe or hatchet
small folding army-surplus shovel
folding wood saw
those bricks of waxy/sawdust fire starters
a bottle of Fernet Branca for passing around the fire

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads