1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Essential camping gear? aerobed? cot? etc. specific items

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by pg600rr, May 8, 2012.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

It is not a world of men, GT.

lefty

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

seriously

3. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

From another perspective, in the late 60's I went backpacking for 10 days with 8 guys in the mountains of New Mexico while in Boy Scouts. This was the old school, pre-nylon, pre-fleece, era when everything was fairly heavy canvas, cotton or metal

We each carried:
    a sleeping bag
    poncho
    1 plate 1 spoon and a swiss army knife
    matches
    extra socks
    one extra pair of shorts
    3 t shirts 3 underwear (we burned our used clothing along the way to cut down on weight)
    a few candles
    sweatshirt
    toothpaste, toothbrush
    2 qt canteen

As a group, we split up the rest by weight and each carried some of the following
    -dehydrated food
    -axe
    -saw
    -frying pan
    -large pot
    -4 tarps and rope (no tents, they were too heavy)
    -First aid kit
    -some minor cleaning supplies, TP and one large spoon

Having very little we were able to move quickly and efficiently. We were in two major all night rain storms but managed to stay dry.

This worked, but for the same amount of weight today with so many amazing advances in lightweight equipment we could have been in the lap of luxury.

4. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I read this thread prior to taking my wife on her very first camping trip. We came prepared with great food and lots of comforts. Including pillows. Being in Big Sur helps too.

The last full day it started to rain and I was thinking of what Mbogo wrote ^^^^^ about camping in the rain. So we bailed early and headed home. Brilliant advice. She had a blast. Was happy to avoid muddy conditions and we left the beautiful coast on a high note. She wants to go back again. Mission Accomplished!

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Congrats on making her first experience a positive one.

6. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

1 knife
    1 machete
    1 bow
    matches